Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-07-08, 8:35pm
liquidphoenix

Question Stick Shift Knobs? ? ?

Does anyone know where to get the inserts for stick shifts?
Thanks for all your help
Jodi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-08, 8:39pm

No, I don't. I made one for my son's Honda but he made the insert and I made the knob right on the fixture. Mike H makes awsome knobs. Maybe he will chime in.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-08, 9:16pm
Bliss Junkie

this would be pretty cool... i could see some sort of market for this..

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-07-08, 9:25pm

When my son took his car to be repaired, the workers were swarming it. They were quite interesed in the shift knob. The only problem is that the knobs are different on different cars. My son is a machinist so he just took his off and made a copy of the fixture. Now, I need one for my Jeep!

Old 2009-07-09, 6:01am
ManBearPig

I have made a few. I got the inserts at Advance Auto Parts. The type I got was like a sleeve that fit over the shifter and had three set screws that attached it to the shifter.

Searched for "gear shift knob insert" in google, and this is the first page that came up: http://www.epcomfg.com/shiftknob-ordering.html

Old 2009-07-09, 6:11am
N2Beadz

I so hope more of you get into this. I've been searching for that special glass knob that talks to me since getting my 2007 Mini Cooper S. I search eBay and other sites bi-weekly and haven't come across one yet. No special insert for mine. Mine's some special snap on thingy that only one aftermarket vendor for various knobs has been able to recreate. I've decided that I'll Liquid Nail that bad boy on if I find the right one.

Old 2009-07-09, 6:54am

You might also try using heli coils. Basically you would need to measure the diameter of the shift rod to find the right size heli coil then add the dimension of the rod and heli coil together to figure your mandrel size. Set the heli coil in the hole and the pressure should hold it in place or you might possibly be able to glue it. Here is a link to them on advance auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...heli%20coil___

Last edited by kittyluv4ever; 2009-07-09 at 6:56am.
Old 2009-07-12, 8:52pm
don't burn your fingers!

I can make a few if you still need them. I have a lathe and some taps, I just need to know what the thread pitch is, or at least the year and make of the vehicle so I can look it up. Will aluminum be OK? It will be strong enough, I just don't know if you have any other preference. Let me know.
Old 2009-07-17, 8:31pm
Bust It Big

Check out this link. these kids seem to have the gear shifter thing figured out.

Old 2009-07-17, 9:06pm
Booger #7

Damn...I need a manual car now so I can make a knob for it! I hate my minivan.......Grrrrrrrr

Old 2009-07-17, 9:56pm
passionate about pets

I am sure you can make better ones than this guy Jodi.....But the concept is there

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-07-26, 8:16am
Redhot Torch Mama

I really want one for my Jetta - but haven't figured out the insert thing, etc. My concern would be that it would rattle. I know, that sounds bizarre ....

Old 2009-07-26, 2:37pm
Spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotBeads View Post
I really want one for my Jetta - but haven't figured out the insert thing, etc. My concern would be that it would rattle. I know, that sounds bizarre ....
It shouldn't rattle because the insert things are threaded. You should be able to go out and unscrew the factory one you have now and check it out. When you remove it, it should leave the rod sticking out with probably about an inch or so of threaded metal.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.