Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-03-06, 10:14am

Default Help me spend my budget

I am in the process of deciding what I need to set up my studio again and much has changed since I last sat behind the torch. Here is what I have from my last studio and what I already intend to buy:

minor bench burner - have
about 25 # of glass - have
assorted mandrels marvers and tools - have
safety glasses - have

O2 concentrator - ordered
workbench - ordered
ventilation - working on this one still
Kiln - ordered
hoses and regulators - ordered

My budget for this project is about $4,000 and with what I have already ordered I will have around $1500 left to spend. What items have I missed or equipment should I upgrade any thought or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:23am
Resident hippie

Can you show us some of the work you did before? If we got an idea of the sort of work you did it might help us give advice.
It sounds as though you have everything covered. For me assorted mandrels, marvers and tools has grown into quite a collection!
Do you work mostly with 104 or boro?
I have a couple of Jim Moore tools which I love. I have a few brass presses from different makers that I also love and use a lot.
Good luck with it all 12bar and welcome back to the obsession!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-06, 10:25am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Working sitting or standing?? I do both and use a tractor seat stool. DO NOT GET ONE with casters or change them out immediately...ask me how I know? LOL

Radio, stereo or ???

Storage shelving and PVC material for glass storage.

Some form of tool storage. I use a Craftsman roll away tool cabinet I got at Sears scratch-n-dent outlet.

Basic mechanical tools for those adjustments that always come up...pliers, screw drivers, allen wrenches, small hammer, tape measure, etc.

First aid kit

Fire extinguisher

Leather apron if you are a bit squemish.

Old stainless sauce pan for a water breakoff container

Desk and chair for the 'planning' moments

there's more but you'll find them as you go.

PJH
Old 2012-03-06, 1:49pm

Thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I don't have any photos of my previous work. But I can answer some of the other questions. I plan to work with 104 glass for the moment. I used to work seated but thought I would give standing a try. I almost forgot to include one of the most important items I already have for the studio and that's a stereo and a chair.
Old 2012-03-06, 6:59pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

If you have anyplace to mount them, I LOVE magnetic tool storage. Harbor Freight has 18" magnetic tool holders on sale for $4.99 this week, and I just LOVE mine. I work with both hands, so I have them mounted on both sides of my torch space - helps a lot with keeping the tools corralled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

Old 2012-03-06, 7:24pm
Salt Box Beads

We invested in a sandblasting cabinet with a med. sized upright air compressor. Many many uses.

You may want to purchase mandrels in different sizes and shapes, and maybe spend for a good class or two, you really learn alot from taking classes, and the comaraderie is fun and you might make some life long friends.

Having a library is very good, Tutorials, DVDs and books. It all helps.
Old 2012-03-06, 7:31pm

bead release?
Old 2012-03-06, 7:47pm

I work standing and I like the Arrow Springs arm rest. Mandrel spinners are great if you have any pain in your hands. If you want to try coldworking, Ameritool makes a good lap grinder. Oh, I can spend money on lampworking so easily...

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-03-06, 8:05pm
Loving learning

And put some aside so that when you see things you have the money to buy that new glass, or tool, or....
Old 2012-03-06, 8:06pm

Classes sounds like a really good idea are there any that can be recommended?
Old 2012-03-07, 3:28am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bar View Post
Where are you?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-03-07, 6:06am

I am in Florida but I have a ton of frequent flyer miles so travel is also an option.

Last edited by 12bar; 2012-03-07 at 2:30pm.
Old 2012-03-07, 7:08am

Just hang out in the garage here. I bet your money will be gone in no time!
Vicki
Old 2012-03-07, 9:52am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
The classes I take are from teachers that teach a technique I want to learn.

It depends on what you want to do, boro or soft, sculptural or marbles, beads or? It also depends on how far you are willing to travel to get that class.

I drove 6.5 hours and stayed in a hotel for three nights to take my first class.
It was so expensive but I learned so much.

Tell us what you want to try in lampworking and we can give you the names of the best teachers.
Old 2012-03-07, 9:58am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
I am in Florida but I have a tone of frequent flyer miles so travel is also an option.

You are so in luck! I am jealous! Here is a link for you. In bright yellow they mention their classes so get in touch with them. These people are fantastic.

http://r4glassstudio.com/index.html
Old 2012-03-07, 11:36am

My primary interest is bead making however if I could learn blown glass techniques using the equipment I already have that would be great.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:44pm
Salt Box Beads

Like I said you are one lucky guy.

Here is a great link for you.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...hlight=florida
Old 2012-03-07, 1:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

One of the most, perhaps the most, interesting and informative things you can do to meet, see, and learn from glass artists from all around the country is to attend the annual Art Glass Invitational, AGI, in Hilliards, PA near Pittsburg. A week of seminars, classes, and glass blowing artists, and other glass related lectures. Meals are included. All for about $750.00 Travel may be a factor but there are several motels that are relatively cheap and not too far away and for the hardy there is camping. Check out the marble forum, thegldg.com for details. I went 3 years running and it was super great.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-03-07 at 1:28pm.
Old 2012-03-07, 2:33pm

Lorraine, thanks for the links I will definitely be attending some of these offerings.

cheng076, thanks for the information it sounds like a great event and I just happen to have friends in the Pittsburg area that have been bugging me to pay them a visit.
Old 2012-03-07, 3:42pm
Just Ain't Right

Fire extinguisher. Fire and CO2 Alarm (and batteries).

Maybe stash a couple hundred in a slushy fund for "ooh! Want!" type of things.
Old 2012-03-07, 4:38pm
Finally doing what I love

Default What about books?

A nice library of books is always good. Tutorials etc to keep you inspired?

Do what you Love and Love what you do!
Old 2012-03-08, 11:56am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Staying in Pittsburg would be a bit inconvenient as Hilliard and the actual location out in the country is probably an hour and a half or more from Pittsburg. Depending on where in Pittsburg of course. The location is north and a bit east from the Pitt. airport.

It is a great learning experience IMHO with so many well known and talented artists always willing to share and teach. There is a lot, a lot, of partying but much more glass working. Sixty to seventy artists doing glass for 10 to 12 or more hours a day. People doing beads, marbles, pipes, sculpture, blown work such as goblets and vessels, and all the demos and lectures add up to an overload of info.

PJH

PS tickets go fast so if you're interested sign up soon.
Old 2012-03-10, 7:33pm
I'm meeeeelting

You should consider Glass Stock East or West, as well, if you're up to traveling. I've been to West the last 3 years. It's an awesome experience with the chance to learn and try all kinds of things and a very friendly, fun bunch of glass crazed peeps. You get to take a bunch of half-day classes so you can try a mix of soft glass and boro and there's open torch and other activities in the evenings. West is at the Eugene Glass School in Oregon over Labor Day weekend and East is at Carlisle in New Jersey in the fall.

PJ, I think you'd love it, too, and John Kobuki is one of the featured instructors at West this year.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2012-03-10 at 7:37pm.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:09am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Felicia,
I looked into it a bit a few years ago and was interested but something came up so I didn't go. Then sort of lost track of that thread-in-my-head. I'll revisit it again. Thanks for the reminder. Done your wine bottle stopper yet?
Would also be nice to see John again.
PJ
Old 2012-03-11, 4:32pm
I'm meeeeelting

I haven't done my wine stopper. I guess I need to get on it.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-03-12, 1:35pm

Woo Hoo almost all of the parts and supplies I ordered for my studio are in transit and with a little luck I will be up and running by the end of next week