Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-06, 3:10pm
Burning Fingers!

Default Bead Lining - How Much Extra Tubing??

I have a question for all you very clever bead corers/liners out there. When you are going to core/line a bead, how much extra of the tubing do you allow. ie. bead measurement plus ??
I have silver tubing, and really don't want to mess it up at the prices of silver these days.
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Old 2011-03-06, 3:34pm
Live and Let Live

I go about 3mm over the bead measurement.

Old 2011-03-06, 3:37pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's a good article that should be of use to you. About half way down the page there's info about liner length.

http://www.artintheround.com/article...he-Impress.htm

Hope this helps,
Jack

Old 2011-03-06, 3:37pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Lisa - I tried 3mm with some copper I had, and it split, so I was reluctant to try it with the silver - but perhaps the copper and the silver "stretch" differently.

/
/
/

Last edited by Jane P; 2011-03-06 at 3:41pm.
Old 2011-03-06, 3:38pm

For me I go about 2mm over - whenever I go more I end up splitting the tube.
But that's just me....
Jenny

Old 2011-03-06, 8:27pm
Alaska Boro

Use the Sterling silver tube from IJS 5.08 mm OD and go 3 mm over the thickness of the bead for a hole made using a 3/16 inch mandrel. Looks like a foot is now over $25.00!!!

This boro bead is 18.33 mm OD and 9.28 mm thick. Thus the tube is cut at 12.28 mm for coring.

Last edited by Alaska; 2011-03-07 at 3:19am.
Old 2011-03-07, 2:51am

Art in the round suggest 3.6mm but when I went that much I split my tubing so someone on here suggested 3.2mm (can't remember right off who it was but if I remember correctly they make awesome cored beads) since I've been using this measurement I haven't split any. hope this helps.
Old 2011-03-07, 6:16am
sunscreen me baby

Part of why tubing splits is trying to flare too much at once. I flip it 8 or more times per bead. Using the impress I only turn a half turn and then flip.

~

Old 2011-03-07, 7:21am
Mr Brutus RIP

I just got the impress here in the garage and I found a video on youtube by heather b (sorry can't remember last name spelling) It shows how to measure, cut and line the bead with it. Its awesome!! Just go to youtube.com and type in bead liner She was the first one that popped up each time I've watched it.
Sue

Old 2011-03-07, 9:22am
Burning Fingers!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I did up a few yesterday, and I found for me that the silver was much "stretchier" than the copper. The silver I cut at 3mm longer, but the copper needed to be nearer to 2.5mm. I'm quite pleased with the results - thanks everyone.

/
/
/

Old 2011-03-07, 9:36am

I go with 2.5mm plus the width of the bead, and I cut on the right edge of the sharpie mark. The width of your marking line and the position you cut (inside, middle, outside) will impact your measurement at this level. I probably get 2.7mm once I finish cutting. As said many times before, flaring metal is stretching so the smoother and easier you make it for the metal, the less your chance of splitting. Flipping is your friend.

Ginko Beads