Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-10, 12:25pm

Default Oxidizing after stamping

I am experimenting with stamping on sterling silver blanks. I want the letters to stand out. I've heard that liver of sulfer is what I should use. Any suggestions? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-10, 3:08pm

Liver of sulfur is definitely your best bet. It's available in a lot of different forms...I use a gel that I buy from a local bead/craft store. Just mix it according to the package and warm it up on a hot plate (I use the microwave, but that might not actually be a great idea). It works immediately and your mixture will last a long time. I mixed mine in a glass peanut butter jar and it's still going strong for over a year. Just store it in a dark place and put it away as soon as you're finished. I've heard that exposure to light can weaken the solution.

Dip your metal for a few seconds and watch it turn black. I usually hang my piece(s) from some brass wire so I can get them out easily. Then rinse and buff it with 0000 super fine steel wool. The letters will remain black.

I've also heard of something called silver-black but haven't actually used it on silver.
Old 2014-09-10, 4:02pm

Oh thank you so much. Do you mind my asking for the exact name of the product you use...thanks!

Old 2014-09-10, 4:30pm
I'm meeeeelting

You can also use hard boiled eggs (crack them open so the yolks are exposed and put them in a ziplock with your silver while the eggs are still hot), but it'll take a little longer. - maybe 10-15 minutes.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-09-10, 5:00pm

I was just reading about the eggs and that sounds intriguing!!!! Thanks!!!!

Old 2014-09-10, 6:01pm

search for a patina recipe, there are a lot of effect that can be achieved with silver and basic materials.

Old 2014-09-10, 6:04pm
I'm meeeeelting

Egg yolk has sulfur. Using eggs will give the same effect as liver of sulfur.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-09-10, 6:18pm

The brand I have is called XL Gel, Liver of Sulfur Extended Life Gel. The price tag says 11.95 and it is probably more than I will use in my lifetime (which, at 34, I hope is quite a long time!).

I have not heard about using eggs and other homemade patinas on silver, but I would look into the possible need to seal that type of patina. Some patinas will rub off over time. I have used several home recipe patinas on copper and brass that need to be sealed with lacquer. If you're looking at cost effectiveness, good metal lacquer is much pricier than l.o.s. However, if you do find a good, cheap recipe that holds up over time, please share!
Old 2014-09-12, 8:18am

for commercial patinas
sculptnouveau.com
novacan.net
Brownell and kleen bore also sell cold bluing solutions that work incredibly well.
primarily designed for steel but work on other materials as well.
novacan black is common for ageing brass, copper, and solder and fairly cheap.
black magic from brownell works well on steel sculptures outside in my local climate...

Its a good idea to read and understand the MSDS before ordering and using any chemicals.
most patinas need goggles, ventilation, and space to work.
Proper disposal is also a concern with some of these chemicals.
Some need a mask as well, often is just to avoid particulate matter and accidental spills on skin or in the eyes.
Understanding the chemistry can be helpful if your mixing your own chemicals.
Most of the time the MSDS spells everything out fairly well.

Last edited by losthelm; 2014-09-12 at 8:28am.