Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-21, 1:26pm

Default Removing paper labels from the ends of rods

OK, so I've got 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rods with those stubborn label/stickers on the ends...mostly CIM.

What methods do you all use to thoroughly remove these!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Wellllllllll, maybe not so many rods, but you get the idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-21, 1:43pm
Crispy Critter

When I get close to the end of the rod I'll dunk the tag into my water bowl, wait a few seconds and then scratch it off with a fingernail.

Old 2011-02-21, 1:56pm
Growing Edge Glass

soak them in water overnight and they should slide right off...I then wipe them down with alcohol to remove any residual yuck. Of course you don't want to do the alcohol wipe with a lit torch nearby!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-02-21, 2:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
When I get close to the end of the rod I'll dunk the tag into my water bowl, wait a few seconds and then scratch it off with a fingernail.
yup yup.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-21, 2:40pm
sunscreen me baby

I catch them on fire in the flame, burn off the residue and then make it the inside of a bead. Hey, I'm lazy! and it's kind of fun.

~

Old 2011-02-21, 2:40pm
sunscreen me baby

It helps if you start the rod with the label end first.....

~

Old 2011-02-21, 2:50pm
Melting

I peel off whatever I can then burn the rest off in the flame and make sure it gets covered with an opaque just in case (similarly to Susan). I used to soak them then rub them off but that doesn't work when you're using up full rods. Besides, it's so boring.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-02-21, 3:06pm

so - do you all have the glass color labeled somewhere in case you want to order more?
Old 2011-02-21, 4:43pm

THANK YOU to all! I tried burning one earlier today and made a big mess...I think I'll try the soak, scratch, and alcohol method.

Suzie....I like the lazy man's method too!!!! Thanks! LOL!!!!

Old 2011-02-21, 4:56pm
offically down under

So am I the only one who puts them in my mouth to remove them?

Old 2011-02-21, 5:14pm
sunscreen me baby

lol Tammy. Did you eat paste as a child?

~

Old 2011-02-21, 5:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Burn it off baby!
Old 2011-02-21, 5:27pm
Mary Lockwood

I start a new rod at the label end and burn it off in the flame.

Old 2011-02-21, 7:15pm
sunscreen me baby

OK, well if Mary and Lorraine do it then I must be smart

~

Old 2011-02-21, 7:26pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisue View Post
so - do you all have the glass color labeled somewhere in case you want to order more?
I keep 1 rod with a label in the slot and then use a Sharpie to write the number on any rods I pull out.

Old 2011-02-21, 7:27pm
Ad astra per aspera

I spray mine with WD-40, wrap the ends with a paper towel and let them "soak" for about an hour. They'll slide right off, and a quick rub will remove the adhesive, too. Then I clean the rod with alcohol to remove the remaining residue.

Old 2011-02-21, 8:06pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
lol Tammy. Did you eat paste as a child?
As a matter of fact, I do know what Elmer's Glue tastes like.

Old 2011-02-21, 8:07pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I spray mine with WD-40, wrap the ends with a paper towel and let them "soak" for about an hour. They'll slide right off, and a quick rub will remove the adhesive, too. Then I clean the rod with alcohol to remove the remaining residue.
Now why didn't I think of that?!

I stick them in my water bowl on my table for a while and then remove with a paper towel. Those CiM ones can be really stubborn. When I order CiM by the lb. I specifically ask that no more than 1 rod per 1/4 lb. be labeled. I once got a lb. of Gelly Pink and every rod was labeled. I soak the whole bundle in vinegar overnight and still had to scrape them off!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-23, 3:58pm

I won't tell you what hell I used to go through getting the paper off...

I placed my labeled CIM rods in a jar (label side down). Sprayed them with some WD40 (just enough to get each one nice and wet....not exactly dripping...no waste!) and let them sit overnight. Got home from work today and decided to tackle the rest of the job...expecting it to be a pain in the you know what. First I added a drop of dishwashing detergent into the jar and filled with hot water...I let let that soak for about 5 minutes. Some of the labels just fell off...the rest required an easy rub with a dry paper towel. Rinsed with clean warm water...and VUALA!!!! Clean rods! I'll still follow up with a little alcohol just to make sure, but EASY PEASY!!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

THANK YOU!!!!!