Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-21, 5:49pm
Marble Lover

Default How would you make this basic bead?

Once I get making beads, I have a side project that I'd like to make little glass beads for that are like these in the pic below. They would be rounded on top and flat on bottom. I think people use these in vases to hold fake flowers and ones like these are used in the game Pente.

Is there a press that makes this shape? Is there a name for this shape?

-BEP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-21, 5:52pm

I believe they are made in the kiln. Small chunks of glass on kiln paper and they slump into this shape. If you want to make beads like this, I would make a round bead and gently flatten the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-21, 5:54pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I believe they are made in the kiln. Small chunks of glass on kiln paper and they slump into this shape. If you want to make beads like this, I would make a round bead and gently flatten the bottom.
Thanks. If I didn't want a hole in them, would I make them on the end of the mandrel and use the mandrel kind of like a punti?

-BEP
Old 2012-06-21, 5:57pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Even glooping hot glass enough for the gather to fall off will give you that effect, but maybe more ball-y, when it hits your work surface or a marver.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-21, 5:59pm
Artistically Absorbed

Fuse them... They are usually cut squares of glass stacked, at least 2 layers or more then brouhgt up to full fuse temp in the kiln, vented to annealing temp and then annealed as per coe.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-06-21, 6:02pm
Loving learning

And they sell them in craft departments or near the silk flowers in stores. I don't know if the colors or sizes would work for you, but they're pretty cheap for a bag or jar of them. You can even find them in the dollar store sometimes.
Old 2012-06-21, 6:07pm
Tweedle Dumb

That's one of those things I wouldn't put the effort into making when I can buy them so cheap at Wal-mart.

Don't say the same thing about beads though.

I had a friend ask me to make her marbles for a game, I told her I'd have to charge 6-7 bucks a piece or more because they are time consuming, but not difficult.

When you can buy a bag full for 1.99 at Wally World... it just makes more sense.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-21, 6:18pm
Senior Moment

If you can't fuse in your kiln, you might want try one of those little microwave kilns. If you're not planning on making a lot; even the larger ones don't make that many. I have one and have made a number of cabachons which resemble what you are looking to do.
Old 2012-06-21, 6:32pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I make cabochons on cab mandrels. Different sizes/colors. Easy if you are needing a small amount. I have made custom colors/sizes etched for several customers. You will need several cab mandrels atleast. I do use a lentil press for top to quickly shape. Although not necessary
Sue

Old 2012-06-21, 7:03pm

I used to make a lot of torch cabs before I got my kiln. Just nip an inch off the end off a rod, put it on a charcoal block and hit it with the torch until it is the right shape. I used an Orca (small jewelery torch) but glass torch will be faster.
Old 2012-06-21, 7:56pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
That's one of those things I wouldn't put the effort into making when I can buy them so cheap at Wal-mart.

Don't say the same thing about beads though.

I had a friend ask me to make her marbles for a game, I told her I'd have to charge 6-7 bucks a piece or more because they are time consuming, but not difficult.

When you can buy a bag full for 1.99 at Wally World... it just makes more sense.
^^^
This

Old 2012-06-22, 7:27am
Marble Lover

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the ideas.

As for the project, I want to make Pente pieces for someone, but have them customized in some way, such as using a real thin stringer to lay down an initial ( a letter ) on the top of each one. I would want the letter melted into the stone, not raised on top.

Etching was mentioned above. Could store-bought ones can be purchased, then a letter masked off and the glass then etched? I know very little about etching at this point so am not sure how you etch part of a bead but not another part.

The pieces will be for my brother-in-law. Him being the Pente champion of his small town is a long-running joke. I was thinking of making the pieces black with an orange letter on them since we all went to Oklahoma State ( orange and black are the OSU colors ) and Pente was "invented" there in Stillwater, OK. The family meets are Hideaway Pizza there at least once a year and someone will invariably grab a Pente board to play.

-BEP
Old 2012-06-22, 9:08am
Tweedle Dumb

Etching store bought ones would be a breeze.

Go buy a bunch of those glass nuggets, buy a bottle of etchall (which is EXPENSIVE), go to the scrapbooking section and pick out some letter stickers that have good definition and edges.

Stick, etch, rinse, remove letter. TADA.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-22, 9:11am
dances with ideas...

You can etch the letter, but and you might be able to get to orange and black if you etch the letter on an orange piece, so the letter is indented and rough, then color the indent with some sort of black substance. Because it would be indented the black wouldn't wear off.

Old 2012-06-28, 9:21am

Red face

Hi I am new to bead working but I did figure out a nifty little way to do what you are wanting and the funny thing is that just about everyone has them in their kitchen. I found an old set of stainless steel measuring spoons in my kitchen and decided to see if I could use them and they did exactly what you want. I hope this helps.
Old 2012-06-28, 9:29am
Marble Lover

Interesting ideas. Thanks

-BEP
Old 2012-06-28, 4:25pm
Naysayer

Get some of that glass paint like Pebeo's Vitrea (at micheal's etc), paint on orange letters.
Another option anyways.
Old 2012-06-29, 4:49pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

You can also print on paper or transparency film, cut to shape, and then use Mod Podge (or another decoupage glue) to attach to the bottom. I do magnets that way for bake/craft sales at work, they're a huge hit.

L-111