Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-13, 2:00pm
Damn Frit Bitch

Default Starting to use an O2 concentrator- HELP!

I've got a refurb O2 concentrator that I bought off of ebay about 6 months ago. I just now got it set up to the torch. It's on a Y connection where I can cut it off of the system or cut off the O2 tank that I still have (too chicken to risk not being able to work....).

My question is: Do I leave the O2 line open all the time (will I blow up trying to light the torch after it's been on for several minutes)?

I know that you have to leave it open at least some (how much?) when the concentrator is running, but how much?

Do I turn on the propane like usual and light the match (I have the explosion of my whole set up in my mind), or something else?

I have a plywood "hood" set up- wooden painted box about 5'x4' with a good exhaust fan pulling up and outside.

Thanks for the help. I tried a search, but got too many threads and none of them seemed to answer this.
Old 2007-09-13, 2:15pm
Burn baby, burn

I use a refurbished O2 concentrator also. I leave the knob "cracked" a little so the air is blowing out constantly, and when I go to light the torch I turn the air off, light the fuel, then feed the oxygen back in. Then I just turn the fuel off to douse th flame, and just leave the air knob alone.
Old 2007-09-13, 6:25pm
Damn Frit Bitch

Thanks! That's what I needed to know!!
Old 2007-09-14, 7:25am

Susan
Yep thats how I've been doing it for over three years and I'm still alive to tell about it lol,lol. Isn't messing around with propane and O2 intemedating (?)
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-09-14, 7:39am
Gentleman of Leisure

Think its pretty common to have concentrator running "near" maximum.. (5lpm).. and keep torch valve open all the way.... Just closing it during lighting process... Oncs you open oxy valve again, you adjust flame characteristic with fuel valve...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-10-10, 10:15am

Medical oxygen concentrators 'think' you'll suffocate and die, if the flow stops while they are running... that's why they have alarms.. to wake up the nurse or attendant so they know the air line is blocked.
I guess I've been living on the 'edge' I light my torch with the oxygen on been doing it that way for about a year... only problem I've had is that if I hold the match too high the oxy blows out the match... when that happens I turn the PROPANE off while I light another match and try again.

:

Old 2007-10-10, 1:20pm

So are you all saying the concentrator should be on 24/7 and open all the time/
I use a concentrator and have never read anywhere to leave it on all the time. If so that could be the problem I am having with the alarm going off all the time for the past week.

Liz
Old 2007-10-11, 2:22pm
PyronamixK

No, you don't have to leave the concentrator on 24/7. But, as long as it is on, you must have the oxygen valve on the torch open. Otherwise, it will alarm. Another thing... don't turn it off and on back-to-back. If you are going to take a short break from torching, it wouldn't hurt to leave the machine running (with the oxygen valve on the torch open).

I must have misunderstood the original poster's question... I thought she asked if the oxygen tank valve should be left open while the concentrator is running. The anwer to that is "no."