Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-02-27, 12:11pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Default Glass Stock East Needs YOU!

Hi all! Barry and I have been hard at work on Glass Stock East in PA over July 4rth weekend. I have been asked for years why we don't do an east coast event so we put it out there this year. I know the economy isn't so great so we expected not to have a huge turn out but the number of entrants is lower than we had hoped for.

We need at least 10 more people to make it happen, otherwise we may have to postpone it a year. We are incredibly lucky to have the featured artists Mike Mangiafico and Margaret Neher, plus demos by Roger Parramore!!! We are really hoping to get Glass Stock East off and running this year.

I have heard that some don't want to camp and I want to let you know there are great hotels within 10 miles. If you want to camp it is $100 for the full week with hot showers and flush toilets, it is a beautiful site!

Emlenton Motor Inn: 10 miles away, located at Interstate I-80 (724) 867-2314
OR:
Fairfield Inn / Marriott: 30 minutes away (724) 283-0009
This is a convenient location between GSE and Pittsburgh Int’l Airport… a top notch Motel.

The food has to be cooked onsite as it would take too long to get lunches, that is why it is $100 more (included in tuition cost below!) but it is 3 great meals a day.

Tuition is a mere $550 for 4 days of glass heaven, including 6 classes by top-notch instructors, demos all day, all 4 open torches and supplies (except silver classes like PMC, etc, they have actual cost fees), all with great food!

We sure hope we can get enough interest to host this year, please use the link below to take you to my website and click on GS East page to sign up.

debcrowley.com

We are extending the deadlines to apply and pay tuition to see if we can garner a little more interest. Please tell your friends and sign up by March 21st if you are serious about coming!

Thanks so much for the interest so far, hope to see you in July!
deb crowley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deb c; 2010-02-27 at 12:16pm.
Old 2010-02-27, 2:34pm
Master Procrastinator

I would've loved to, but July 4th wouldn't work for me. I sure hope it takes off for you & maybe I can make it in the future.

Old 2010-02-27, 7:25pm

Deb I wonder if you listed all the classes like you have on the west site if more people would get excited.

Old 2010-02-27, 7:32pm
In search of her path....

the 4th of july week is just a really terribe week for me I know many others to who have familial obligations and plans over that time as well.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-02-27, 10:35pm
as in the state

I agree with both of the previous reasons.

I would be much more interested if I knew what classes would be offered for my tuition. I think the "original" Glass Stock thread had the classes listed. I think I saw them somewhere, and don't remember seeing classes available at Glass Stock East.

I don't have plans over the 4th of July, but I can see where several people would have other obligations that weekend.

It sounds like awesome growth for Glass Stock, though, and hope it will be a go for you guys!

-Amy
Old 2010-02-28, 7:52pm
Master Blaster

There are a lot of glass events all through the summer and the list keeps growing, that is one reason why we chose the 4th of July weekend the other is most employers keep the 4th as a holiday so you don't have to take a day of vacation. The days will change but we will try to incorporate the event to cover that day. We hope to make this event a yearly thing and hopefully it will grow we have lots of room for that.

Deb is working on the classes now and will be posting them soon.

Bear
Old 2010-02-28, 10:07pm
as in the state

It would be amazing to be part of the first Glass Stock East. =) Then you could be "oh, I remember it when it was..."

I'm looking forward to seeing the class list. That's what will ultimately make or break the decision for me.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-01, 1:03pm
state-eternal change

Do you have any brochures for Glass Stock East? Can you advertise with the ISGB or glass groups in the East?

I've talked to some people about it, and they have never heard of Glass stock at all...

Old 2010-03-01, 4:47pm
Master Blaster

Jody
Here is the add for Glass Stock this event was started by Deb Crowley on the west coast that is why you have not heard of it. after you have read the add go to the GSE web site for more info.

The first ever Glass Stock East,a sharing, collaborativeevent modeled after theoriginal Glass Stock festival which has run on the Oregon Coastfor 7 years will be held July 1-4th, 2010 at the Glassblowing Center, the home of the Art Glass Invitational at114 Leonard Road,Hilliards, Pennsylvania!This event has grown in popularity on the west coast and this year the east coast will have an opportunity to experience the spirit of this event with artists willing to teach and share for the opportunity to learn new skills, get priceless feedback and inspiration and commune with some of their favorite glassworkers.

Featured artists for2010areMargaret Neher www.margaretneher.com/and Mike Mangiafico www.figstudios.com/ and a special guest demo by Roger Parramore http://rogerparramore.com.Deb Crowley, BarryLafler, Cindy Lemmo andvarious staff members from Glass Stocks past and present will round out the teaching staff. Classes will include flameworking, fusing, etching, coldworking, wire-wrapping, PMC, Kaiser Lee Board slumping and much more! Hosted vendors are Griffin Glass Tools, Wale Apparatus, and Roger Parramore.

The price for the 4 day event is $550, 6 half day classes, all supplies, 3 meals a day,open torch, evening festivities and aSunday auction. Although a few classes (like PMC Silver clay) havematerial fees, most classeswill not have any additional fees.Also available is camping (an additional $100), a hot shower room, bathrooms and eveningfire pits.There are also several hotels/motels in the area.

Payments will be accepted March 27th no earlier than 9am. Additional information can be found at http://www.debcrowley.com/gpage3.html
You may sign up now for the1ST AnnualGSEAST, but submit your entry information one time only via e-mail (including YOUR NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS,AND PHONE NUMBER TO): GSEAST2010entry@debcrowley.com
A WAITING LIST will be established once the allotted slots are filled.
Old 2010-03-01, 6:25pm

Jody, (and anyone else with questions),
I've been to GlassStock out west a couple of times and loved it. I've been to AGI numerous times and love it. I'm really glad that we may have the opportunity to experience some of the essence of both of these events this year. I'll be teaching floral beads, maybe some sculptural boro flower pieces and possibly face/mask type beads. You can see some of my beads, (granted, I haven't updated this in a long, long time) on the glassartists site:
http://www.glassartists.org/CindyLemmo Feel free to e-mail me or message me to ask about either of the above events. I can guarantee that attending GS East will be well worth the time, money and effort. Heck, the open torches, which often amount to individual one-on-one lessons or demos are quite the learning/teaching experiences.
Old 2010-03-02, 10:32am

Wow Cindy, wish I could go to Glass Stock East...I have to work over the 4th, so I'm hoping for Glass Stock West, but i looked at your beads and they are gorgeous!!! I'd take your class in a minute.

I went to Glass Stock West last year and you couldn't ask for better people to run something like this. And it's such an awesome experience, being with such a large group of glass artists of all levels of experience...something you never forget...everyone should take the opportunity at least once. Hope you get enough people for it to make, it's a blast and a great learning experience.

Old 2010-03-02, 11:53am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Jody and Melody, also Barry and Cindy! We are currently working the list of teachers pending we get enough folks to participate. I am going to list some of the instructors here tonight and also on the web page for GS East. I will try and get links for all of them up soon, you can see some of the featured artists work through their links up there already.

In order to list the classes I have to have all the information to post at one time ( a weekend, etc) so that the list is almost complete without having to "hide" the page while in progress. There will be an even mix of soft glass classes to boro and the other third will be "other" classes, non torch related.

Jody, unfortunately the East coast doesn't know what GS is all about since it has been here on the west coast for 8 years. That is why we are trying to start one up out there!
We tried to pick a weekend that wasn't near any other event dates but still warm up on the mountain for camping, camp fires, ventilation concerns, etc.

It will be a groundbreaking event with lots of fond memories and it looks like we won't have to "lottery" people in this first year. The event has been so popular here that the last 4 years we have had to lottery draw the attendees with as many as 25 people not getting in that year. We choose about half new folks for each new year to keep it fresh, that means returnees (2/3 apply to come back) have just as tough a time getting in. Some have come from Canada, Australia, Mexico, Hawaii, all 48 states in past years so we figured an east coast event would allow more people the opportunity to experience this event first-hand. It has been hard turning anyone away, this way twice as many folks could come to one.

I will try and get most instructors listed tonight on GS East page....when I start posting some classes be aware that it takes several days, even a week, to get all the information up there. "Under construction" will disappear as soon as the class roster is complete, classes subject to change until then.

Hugs, deb

Old 2010-03-02, 5:07pm
Wooohooo,GS!

OK, most of the classes are posted for GS east.....some need pics but for the most part info is there. The featured artists classes will be posted by the end of the month but their work can be seen by clicking their links on the page below:

http://debcrowley.com/gpage3.html

deb

Old 2010-03-04, 1:21pm
state-eternal change

Hey Deb,

I have gone to Glass Stock, in 2008 (one of the canucks), so I know about it. What I meant, was that there are two large glass groups here in DC area alone, and no one has heard of it. I can tell them about a website, but if there were a piece of paper in hand with information about it, it would be much easier to market to them.

Old 2010-03-04, 1:57pm
Master Blaster

Deb
send me your email and I will send you a flier to print.

Barry

Islandglassstudio@mac.com
Old 2010-03-21, 6:51am

I hope i get in and Deb, is there anyone available to teach boro ornaments at GSEast?

Knight 7 port Little Dragon w/ Extreme Oxygen EX-15
Old 2010-03-21, 8:26am
Dangerous Woman

Wow I would love to do this. For the camping part would we need to bring our own tents and stuff?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-21, 8:40am

I live in Maine so it's on MY coast but I'm going to be in Texas with my soon-to-be grandson who is expected to make his appearance around June 17th.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-03-22, 9:38am

have the chosen people been notified?

Old 2010-03-22, 5:54pm
Light My Torch

I was also wanting to know?
thanks
jeri

Old 2010-03-24, 8:22pm
Light My Torch

has anyone hear from deb about the east yet?
thanks
jeri

Old 2010-03-25, 7:59am
Damn Frit Bitch

I'm very interested, but have to check the finances, airfare and vacation schedule at work. I need to know about the camping too. Are we going to need to bring our own tents, etc? I'd be shipping mine up by Fed ex probably since extra bags on the plane cost so much....

What airport is closest if I fly in and how far away are you from it (I'd have to rent a car- can we carpool?)
Susan
Old 2010-03-25, 8:12am
Queen Bee

A friend and I were planning on going - but it wasn't clear what you got for your $550 on the website. It says over 50 classes will be offerred, but there are only about 10 listed?

It's a VERY expensive propsition when you add in 4 nights of hotel along with travel expenses - you're looking at near $1000 for 4 days. Curious what you mean by camping - are we talking cottages?

Sooo many questions!

And will there be more soft glass classes?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2010-03-25 at 8:20am.
Old 2010-03-25, 3:05pm
Master Blaster

I have some bad news Glass Stock East has been canceled. Deb said that we did not have enough sign ups by the end of March, that was the cut off date that she set for the event.

This does not mean that I will not try again next year. I will start this fall with a new event at The Glass Center in Hilliards, PA. The event will be about the same as described this year with some changes.

Next years event will still be for bead makers and related soft glass artist. With some boro sculpture and tubing work.

The Glass Center is a wonderful facility with stations for about 60 lampworkers. and the only facility on the East coast that can offer this kind of work space. There are hotel and B&Bs in a 10 mile radius and the prices are well under $100.00 a night, remember this is a rural area in PA not a big city. The camping is on site for tents or RVs.

That's about all for now if you have question or suggestion please e-mail me at <Islandglassstudio@mac.com> the planing for next year starts now!

Thanks
Barry Lafler (aka: Bear)
Old 2010-03-25, 9:21pm

ah man well at least we found out before glass stock west entry closed

Old 2010-03-26, 6:25am
Damn Frit Bitch

ok, I'll watch for next year, but try to avoid major holidays. I know the idea is that we'll be off from work with a holiday, but there's always something family oriented planned around a lot of the holidays. I think that was part of the problem (along with the bad economy making our pockets a little less full..... blech!!!)
Old 2010-03-26, 5:52pm
Forms in Glass

Awww I was looking forward to this one.

My Etsy

Old 2010-03-29, 5:36pm

Sorry, Deb that you had to cancel.... Maybe next year we can do both GS West and East. Huggles, Leslie