Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-01, 8:00pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Incompatible Clear Driving Me Bugf***!!!

It's getting to me, it's really getting to me...

I made this absolutely beautiful lentil set last week. I actually made one bead the week before, just to see if the combination of colors would be okay. It survived the weekend, so I made a whole set last week.

Tonight I was going to list them on Etsy, and half of them are cracked!!! WTF?!? They were fine when I last looked at them on Friday.

This whole incompatible clear crap is totally driving me up a wall. At least, I'm assuming that's what it is...maybe it's the combination of glass I used after all...

So can anyone tell me if combining dichro, Double Helix, and TAG Clarity is bad? All my lentils are cracking in raggedy lines along the skinny edges, not along the mandrel. It's killing me, this is expensive glass to be wasting.

You can't see the cracks 'cause they're circling the bead, but I wanted to show what I was crying over.

Aimee
Old 2012-07-01, 8:05pm
Storm Queen

I can see why you're so upset, they're just gorgeous. I can't help much, I've gotten to the point where I'm just sticking with DH for just about everything I use including clear.

Is that new dichro or have you used it successfully before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-01, 8:08pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I'd be crying too! It's gorgeous. I don't know anything about Tag Clarity

Old 2012-07-01, 8:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Clarity. I use it to encase DH silver glass all the time.

I agree those are beautiful beads. I'm thinking it is the dichro that was a different CoE.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-01, 8:18pm
Catnip Pusher

The dichro is old, the last of some good stuff I got from Ron Bearer a couple of years ago. I've been using it successfully for a while. The DH glass isn't new or an oddlot. Though I hate to say it, I've had issues with Clarity before. Which is too bad, I like it better than Aether.

This is such a craptastic year.

Aimee
Old 2012-07-02, 5:32am
Rose colored glasses…√

I've had cracking with Clarity, and I make small beads. I just figured it was a viscosity thing, and in a larger bead it'd probably be fine...

That is a beautiful bead.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-07-02, 5:43am
Sorry for party rockin'

Oh no Aimee, that bead is beautiful

What was the base glass/color you used . . . . I'm assuming you made a small base of something and then wrapped the dichro on that.

Old 2012-07-02, 6:00am

That's a shame! Beautiful beads. I have a batch of Clarity that I can't use with anything else. And a batch of Kugler that I can't use with anything else. And some Diamond clear I can't use....sucks doesn't it?

Old 2012-07-02, 6:11am
Lampworkaholic!

If you think you have a bad batch of Clarity, call Jenny at TAG.

ASK and DC can be used with silver and frit. I used up a boatload of them that way.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-07-02, 7:22am
uncouthful cats

What a shame to lose such beautiful beads. Have you thought about using some of the Effetre pale aqua or green to encase? I understand that those colors have really good clarity & are more stable than most colors, &, especially if you encase thinly, they impart only the faintest tint of color.

(Says she who is a total newbie, but is well-read here on LE, so is thoroughly eddicated.)

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-07-02, 8:02am

so sorry
that is one beautiful bead.
Old 2012-07-02, 2:59pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I recently used some brand new Effetre dichro to make some Pandora style beads and I encased them with Aether. They all cracked. I made them in different sessions and using my usual annealing schedule. I remade them and encased in Vetro SC instead with no problems. I'm thinking that the clear that the dichro coating is on is not compatible with the DH clear.

Old 2012-07-02, 4:34pm
Catnip Pusher

I've always had to be a little more careful when encasing with the pale colors instead of clear to avoid any weird color reactions. On the other hand, if the dichro doesn't play well with either the Clarity or Aether that may be the best alternative.

Heck, I just want clear I can grab and go!

Aimee
Old 2012-07-02, 5:24pm
Storm Queen

Have you tried Zephyr yet?

Old 2012-07-02, 6:09pm
lurking on LE since 2005

I have also had some issues with dichro lately-two beads with "incompatibility cracks" - moretti on moretti (I try to hedge my bets if I'm not sure the glass will play nice in the sandbox) from Frantz, but still those irritating curvy cracks. Oh, but of course, not ALL the beads I made with the dichro shipment cracked like this. SO, it's the magenta, but not the blue... What does that even mean?? grr.

Feelin' your pain, those were really pretty beads.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2012-07-02, 7:10pm
Catnip Pusher

I haven't tried Zephyr yet - other than the fact that it doesn't turn silver glass funny colors, is there any difference between Zephyr and Aether?

Aimee
Old 2012-07-05, 11:21am

OK, so Aimee - couple things. Lentils are more prone to cracks because of the chilling anyway, are you having the same issues with Clarity in rounds?

Have you done a pull test with the Clarity you have and another glass that you are confident about? Slight curvature is OK, but a marked bow is bad - and TAG WILL REPLACE IT NO PROBLEM.

Have you done a pull test with the Double Helix color? Between the DH and the Clarity?
"104 glasses", even those from Italy, can vary in COE, and in viscosity, creating slight issues in some cases and no issues in other cases. And typically you can get away more with the lower COE, the harder glass, on the outside and the softer glass on the inside.

Seriously. Call me. Or e-mail me. YOU TOO, REBBECCA! TAG always stands behind it's product. Period. ~jenny @ TAG

503-656-9350 & jenny@taglass.com

(BTW, in office short day today, 5th, out on the 6th, back Mon-Weds next week then out for another event. Summer event schedules can be wacky!)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-07-05, 11:37am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
I haven't tried Zephyr yet - other than the fact that it doesn't turn silver glass funny colors, is there any difference between Zephyr and Aether?

There is a viscosity difference. Aether melts faster for me and is a bit softer.

Old 2012-07-05, 12:23pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
There is a viscosity difference. Aether melts faster for me and is a bit softer.
That is my experience too. I find Zephyr to be on the stiff side and Aether to be on the soft side, especially if you work hot.

Old 2012-07-05, 2:41pm

Jenny, you're such a dear. I love TAG products (soft and boro) and I know you stand behind everything. I didn't call you for a couple reasons. I wanted to do some experiments and by the time I was done, there really wasn't a bunch left. 1/4 pound maybe. Not enough to bother you with. Also I don't keep track of where and when I buy glass. I really, really should.
All in all, the glass wasn't a huge deal to me, experimenting and learning what I did was.

Old 2012-07-05, 2:53pm
Angie09

I was using only Aether until I got a batch of Effetre Super Clear from Art Glass House ... it was sooo much better than any of the E.S.C. I had gotten in the past! I just ordered 10 pounds and at $8./lb that's a big savings from 10 pounds of Aether (even the seconds which is all I buy). And no, I'm not affiliated with Art Glass ... just happy with some clear!!!
Old 2012-07-05, 5:50pm
I like to melt things

I am having problems with my most recent batch of Effetre Clear (006). I don't know which Effetre Clear that dichro is on though, 006 or 004.

-
-
Old 2012-07-05, 7:34pm
Catnip Pusher

Thank you for replying Jenny. I haven't had much torch time lately, as my husband recently had surgery and is still recovering - but I will try the pull test tomorrow. And I will call you next week so we can talk about the problems I'm having. I apologize for sounding pissy in my original post, I'm afraid it was one of "those" days when nothing went right and those broken beads were the last straw!

Thanks Amy - it's good to know about the viscosity differences between Zephyr and Aether. Might be good to have some of each on hand...

Aimee
Old 2012-07-06, 11:11am

thanks, Amiee, I look forward to chatting with you. And no apologies necessary - you were direct and I appreciate that, I like to be direct as well.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-07-08, 12:41pm

Angie..I'm with you on the new clear from Art Glass House..I do like it a lot..that said..I am having a heck of a time encasing just this past couple months with all of the COES..at first I thought I had mixed up the clears..however..when I specifically grab just the few rods I am going to use and make sure I have the right clear,I am still losing 20 to 30 % of my beads to cracking..sometimes several days later.Some is the same glass and clear I have used in the past with no problem.It is making me crazy!This whole country has been so hot for a while..I know that would be a thermal issue and I have them as well..but I wonder if somehow it is affecting my glass My hubby got a temp testing gadget from work and my temp is spot on and the same program I always use for soft glass.
"

Last edited by Rareripes; 2012-07-08 at 12:43pm.