Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H2 5 8.20%
Canon PowerShot (which model do you like?) 34 55.74%
Other (please explain) 22 36.07%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-03, 12:05pm
Is it May yet?

Default Quickie camera question...

OK, I have read good things on both of these cameras...which do you recommend/prefer? If you selected other, what is it, and why? Feel free to give your own "review" on either of these cameras or a different one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-03, 12:24pm
Shine your bright side!

They are all comparable.
I have a Nikon and love it but the Canon is just as good.
Just don't get suckered into the digital zoom hype. The only thing important in zoom features is the OPTICAL zoom, the higher the better. Digital zoom is crap and basically worthless.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-02-03, 12:31pm
Is it May yet?

Thanks! I have gathered from other posts that it is the optical zoom I should be concerned with.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2007-02-03, 12:58pm
Cheeky & Impervious

Hiya Venessa! I had the DSC from Sony and liked it a lot. It was stolen from my hotel room (bastards, it was my anniversary gift!) about 15 months ago. To replace it, I got the Canon PowerShot A610, and I LOVE IT! It has better features, IMO, than the DSC, and takes better photos.

Old 2007-02-03, 1:17pm
Entropy increasing....

No lenses can compare to the Nikon lenses. I have never owned a Canon but I see people's pics that use them and they look pretty good.
Old 2007-02-03, 1:26pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Canon PowerShot S3-IS 6.2 Megapixel 12x Optical. I decided on this camera after talking to several "experts." It gives the most bang for the buck.

After doing lots of price comparisons, here are 2 sites with good prices.

http://www.usaphotonation.com/produc...ne=shopcartusa

http://www.thedigitalexpo.com/produc...1101B001&tab=1
Old 2007-02-03, 3:01pm
Living out Loud

Default camera selection

The Nikon Coolpix because of the greater zoom potential for details on small items.
Old 2007-02-03, 3:47pm

I am in a digital photography college course right now and had to compare cameras. One had to be the one that I have The powershot s2. I compared that with the S3 and really there isnt much difference. I had to choose which camera I would buy if I were doing it all over again and even my teacher agreed that the S2 was the best buy.
Save yourself a 100$ and get the S2. You will LOVE IT!!!
the super macro is so good on this sucker that you can touch a bead with the lens and still get a clear infocus shot. And the image stabilizer is a feature that you typically only find in extremely high priced cameras. Most of those have it built into the lens not the camera. It works too. I never use a tripod even during macro shootings.

Old 2007-02-03, 5:31pm
Born Facing Left

All Nikon, all the time.

Hubby's in love w/ Sony, also pretty awesome, but I found the Sony macro sucky.

Old 2007-02-03, 5:31pm

Nikon. Our old coolpix 5000 takes awsome close-ups. We have another Nikon for regular use.
Old 2007-02-03, 5:32pm
Philosoraptor

Lumix: Leica optics (better than Nikon IMHO), 12x optical zoom, image stabilization,and constant f throughout thezoom range.

2nd place would be Canon, then Nikon.
Old 2007-02-03, 5:32pm

Yep, I was going to say the same one Laurie said, the Canon S3 IS. My DH wants that one and only that one. He likes everything about it, especially the stabilizer. He took a picture of my daughter while showing it to me in a store and was moving around and the picture was so clear and still.

Old 2007-02-03, 9:31pm
Your Royal Fritness

I have a nikon coolpix and love it!

Old 2007-02-04, 1:46am

Just biting my tong......

ESTY
Old 2007-02-04, 11:03am

We have an S3. It is wonderful!

I've been taking a break from lampworking since I was pregnant with DD - almost 3 years ago. First I didn't want to risk it while pregnant, then it was just to hard to do with a toddler running around. Naptime is homework time for my kindergartener, and it's tough to get time to myself when DH is home to watch them. Anyway, getting back on topic...

The reason I said that, is that my priority right now is good action pictures and video. I forget the terms, but the S3 had the fastest delay between pushing the button and actually taking the picture. It drove me INSANE to always miss great shots because of delay.

Another cool thing about it is that you can take pictures while you are taking video. It makes the video pause for a second, but that's not so horrible - and you know the exact moment in time that picture was taken.

Oh, and it has a good recovery time after taking the picture. Which can also be improved by buying a fast media card, so don't skimp on that either.

So for those with young children - spend that extra $100 and splurge on the S3.

Downside - the pictures/video are much bigger. I'm eating up hard drive space FAST these days. And, you likely really will need to buy a bigger card (or two), which is an additional expense.

Nancy
Old 2007-02-05, 4:27pm
Philosoraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Just biting my tong......
Think she should spring for the SLR eh?
Old 2007-02-06, 9:56am
Virginia Beach, VA

well i have the canon s2is and i use it for all my concert photos. we also have digital rebel and olympus c-5000 we use for our pendant pictures. i personally love the canon s2is. to see the pics i have taken with it click on this link: http://community.webshots.com/user/dalejrbud08

Old 2007-02-09, 9:48pm

Drnihili, Yes. Not a fan of silver boxes. Nikon optic's third place! please.
Scott
P.S OMG I meant thong! Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-02-09 at 9:59pm.
Old 2007-02-17, 12:04pm
Boro Brat

I got a great deal on my olympus dslr and two lenses...I think it was around $600. The lenses are actually quite good for a "kit" and I'm happy with it. Of course, for small beads, DSLRs are going to be expensive because you should really get a dedicated macro lens. Even for my pieces, I sometimes wish I had one, but I do have a pretty good rage for the two lenses and I do weddings and such on occasion, so it was a good deal for me. There are other options to look into as well...there are DSLRs out there with a fixed lens...they normally have excellent macros and are reasonably priced, but you will be getting all the advantages of a DSLR (basically higher quality pictures) other than the ability to change lenses...food for thought

Old 2007-02-25, 8:44pm
Flamewoman

I have a Canon PowerShot A710 IS digital camera, with 7.1megapixels and a
6X optical zoom. Is this a good camera for bead photography? I have struggled to get good shots, but I am not a good photographer. I have a cube, but need more lights. I hope I have a good enough camera, as not likely to afford another.
Mary K
Old 2007-02-26, 11:36am
Spinning sand

I have a question for everyone. Regarding the S2 macro mode:
Quote:
Save yourself a 100$ and get the S2. You will LOVE IT!!!
the super macro is so good on this sucker that you can touch a bead with the lens and still get a clear infocus shot.
The camera comparison/review websites say that the S2 has a macro focus range of 10cm, which isn't that good actually. Has that not been your experiences? Can you really touch the bead with the lens and get a good focus with the Canon Powershot s2 is?
Old 2007-02-27, 5:13pm
Gay rights R human rights

WAHHH!!!

Dont tell me that the Sony Macro sucks....I have one coming to me. I'm putting up with crappy internet to get it (long story, I work for the phone co) It says that the macro is good to 2cm. I thought that was good. Its the Cyber-shot DSC-W55 7.2mp. I think im gonna cry if I have sentenced myself to 3yrs of blech internet to get it.
Old 2007-02-28, 2:49pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
WAHHH!!!

Dont tell me that the Sony Macro sucks....I have one coming to me. I'm putting up with crappy internet to get it (long story, I work for the phone co) It says that the macro is good to 2cm. I thought that was good. Its the Cyber-shot DSC-W55 7.2mp. I think im gonna cry if I have sentenced myself to 3yrs of blech internet to get it.
Tiggy! Don't worry!! I have heard phenominal things about the sony lenses, particularly in macro mode. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Old 2007-02-28, 3:19pm
Spinning sand

Oh no, Tiggy, I didn't mean that. We can't say "all" of any feature by any company always sucks. Each company has products that are better and worse than their others and other companies'.

I was just saying that the s2-is review that I saw showed a macro focus of 10cm. Just that particular model. I think it was a mistake though. That's what I was trying to verify. I'm sure you will love your camera!
Old 2007-03-01, 2:03pm

Got my new camera today!!! YIPEE!!
Gonna play tonight. Will post pics later
Old 2007-03-01, 9:01pm

Ok, the bead on the left is the old camera. Sony cybershot 3.2 MP

The bead on the right is the new camera Sony cyber shot 7.2 MP

I also have to say that the first pic has been tweeked in photoshop to sharpen it up.

Here is another example...again old pic on the left and new pic on the right.

Old 2007-03-04, 3:06am

I use an Olympus Stylus, have both the 400 and the 800. I use them both..... I find that my actual lighting is what is important and creates the biggest problems for me.

What camera is best for manual white balance?
Old 2007-04-11, 8:50pm
Philosoraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Drnihili, Yes. Not a fan of silver boxes. Nikon optic's third place! please.
Scott
P.S OMG I meant thong! Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Oh, I was giving nikon third place overall, not on optics. There they'd come in second. But frankly any of the three have optics that are indistinguishable at the amateur level, especially in "silver boxes".
Old 2007-11-04, 7:56am
Puddy Cat Lover

I have the S2. Been using is for a couple of years. LOVE IT. Love the Macro lens. I have a booklet and CD on how to use every feature of this camera. It's called, "A Short Course in Cannon PowerShot S2 IS Photography" by Dennis P. Curtin. This booklet/CD is amazing. I not only learned about my camera, but I also learned a lot about taking pictures/photography.
J.

Old 2007-11-05, 5:09pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

My "other" is an Olympus sp-55ouz , it is digital but has a great macro and super macro so I can get good close ups and it also has image stabilization which is great if you are taking your pictures in a natural setting without a tri-pod set up run on sentence lol, hope you find the perfect camera, now I am running along , Smiles Jenelle (ps half the price of an Olympus slr)