Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-06-11, 3:03pm

Default vessel tutorial

Does anyone know of a vessell tutorial?
Not the blown kind. Is there any other kind?
Does anyone do the kind where you wind steelwool on the end of you mandrel?
Or how else can you o it?
Thanks
Cyndi
Old 2006-06-11, 5:39pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Core formed vessels, eh? You must have a ton of patience I'll hunt around online and see what I can find for you when I get back tonight.

Ok. Here is a link to get you started. It's from the Arrow Springs site.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tink; 2006-06-11 at 5:45pm.
Old 2006-06-11, 5:48pm
HourGlass Studio

I would love some quick tips on the blown kind. For example how do you wind the glass on the end of the pipe/ brass tube - is there a right or wrong way. When you start to blow what should you be doing to keep the glass warm ( if anything ). Once done how do you get the little "drop" at the end of the vessel like you show in the blue vessel in your siggy Tink ? What is the best way to form the handles.

Oh I would love a little tut on blown vessels. LOL

Old 2006-06-11, 5:53pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/jj/scentedglass.cfm

This is a good place to start. Blown vessels are made in much the same way. It's just that with tubing, you can introduce additional air into the form.

You get the little "drop" on the bottom by anchoring on to the hot bottom with a slightly cooler rod, pulling, then burning off.

It will all be in my book, if I ever get it finished. LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-11, 5:58pm
FKA Stacia

Love this site. It gives history and shows with pictures how to make a core formed vessels. http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/nl7text.htm

Good luck
Stacia
Old 2006-06-11, 7:43pm
Meow.

Acck - this is not the one I was looking for but after 40 minutes I am giving up. I know I have seen one with lots of pics...but cannot remember who had it!

http://www.inspirationfarm.com/GG/ar.../article6.html

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2006-06-11, 9:25pm

Default core vessels my way, the no steel wool method

This is how I form a core vessel.
This only works with fpi bead seperator. Every other brand I have tried explodes on the second or third layer.
1/ Dip and flame dry a mandrel with a largish diameter.
2/ Dip mandrel into seperator again, but only dip to where you want the neck to end. I usually dip about 3/4 inch here. Flame dry again.
3/ Continue to dip and dry until you have made the core shape you want. By varying how much you dip you can control the shape, anything with a single curve (v shape, A shape, tear drop, bulb, etc).
TIPS
Try not to make more than about 5 layers total.
If you want a more complex shape, you can come to the next to last layer, let it cool! then use an emory board or small file and make the shape you want. Then dip your last time. If you sand the outside layer the hot glass won't stick to it very well.
4/ Make your vessel over this core.
5/ Fire it in your kiln just like a bead.
6/ To clean the bead seperator out of the corehole after you are done, use a dental tool and gently scrape, tap out powder, repeat. You may want to wear a respirator or work outdoors. Fpi seperator has silica in it and it comes out very finely powdered. It is very time consuming to clean out the vessel but this method has the advantage of not needing a drill to wind on the steel wool and not getting litlle bits of steel wool in your fingers. Be careful, try not to scratch the glass inside of the vessel while cleaning it, or it could crack. Before I had my kiln, when I was batch annealing I would try to clean them out before firing. But I lost a LOT lot lot of vessels to cracking, most of them from scratching the inside of the vessel. Sometimes because of bubbles in the glass body or too thin glass. You can only tell these after you examine the broken pieces.
Hope this helps. pm me or post reply if I didn't cover something clearly or you want more details.

BoniBell
Old 2006-06-11, 9:29pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

The Crown Prince of Core Formed Vessels, in my humble opinion: Iwao Matsushima...
http://mostlyglass.com/Artists/matsu...hima,_iwao.htm

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-12, 12:23am
HourGlass Studio

OMG those are amazing Tink !!!! I can see why you say he is the crown Prince.

Okay so in the link to lapidary journal it shows wrapping the glass on the mandrel to create the vessel.....I was told to blow the glass out thus forming the vessel shape....guess there are several ways to do it. Must be a PITA to get the bead release out of the one that wrapped on the madrel though. Any advice on blowing ?

Last edited by Laurie L; 2006-06-12 at 12:37am.
Old 2006-06-12, 5:41am

Cyndi,

Jodi and Mark Henry make beautiful vessels like you were asking about. Jodi also has a wonderful tutorial on her website located at:

http://www.beadworx.com/HowToMakeAVessel.html

(I hope this link works...I've never inserted one before)...if not...just go to her website at www.beadworx.com and click on "About Lampwork." She has some tutorials listed to include "How to Make a Vessel" complete with step by step instructions and photos.

Jodi is fabulous and was the first person who encouraged me to give lampworking a try. Thanks Jodi!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Old 2006-06-12, 6:11am

Default Core vessels

That Iwao Matsushima is amazing. Straight to the top of my favorites list. Gaspingly beautiful. Great way to start the day.

BoniBell
Old 2006-06-12, 6:31am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

John and I have had the pleasure of watching him work. It was astounding. Days and days and days of work in ONE piece.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Now THAT'S core forming! LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2006-06-12, 7:45am

Hey everybody, Thank you so much for all your help! In the last year I've always been able to turn to you guys here to help me out in "quest" to be come a lampworker! You are all great people,I'm always amazed at how much everyone is willing to share!
Thanks
Cyndi
Old 2006-06-12, 4:20pm
HourGlass Studio

Gosh to watch him work yet - WOW, that would be pure joy. I bookmarked that site for future drooling sessions. LOL.

Old 2006-06-17, 9:10am

Wow I've been facinated by Vessels since I started beadmaking in March this year this is a lot of info thanks very very much I'm certainly going to try some of the techniques but first have to practice beads this is still a bit out of my league

Jacky
Old 2006-06-18, 1:54pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakey
Does anyone know of a vessell tutorial?
Not the blown kind. Is there any other kind?
Does anyone do the kind where you wind steelwool on the end of you mandrel?
Or how else can you o it?
Thanks
Cyndi
I took a class on the steelwool kind with Sue Elgar and I couldn't stop laughing when the steel wool caught fire and I was holding onto a makeshift torch. Awful hard to wrap glass around something that is shooting sparks and flames at you.

They are a major pain to clean out too, so I decided I wasn't going to bother with them. I still learned tons and had a great time anyway!

Old 2006-06-20, 4:33am

I make beads that are vessel shaped. Are you interested in these types of vessel beads?

I have made them on the end of a mandrel also so that there is a hole on only at the top. I found they sell much better with a hole down the middle.

I am travelling currently, but if this is what you are interested in, I would be happy to do a tutorial after I get home. I plan to be home the day after the gathering.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-06-20, 9:11am

Talking

Those are very nice vessels. Are they all vessel shaped beads with the hole all the way through? Or are some of them formed with just a top opening?

Do you ever give them handles? How do you clean them out? I guess what I'm saying is, a tutorial would be great, whenever it is convenient for you.

I know cakey started this thread, but we are all enjoying the various vessels. They are such a wonderful art form.

BoniBell
Old 2006-06-20, 9:46am

My vessels are beads. The hole goes down the middle. I make them off the end of a mandrel but I like mine better with the hole going all the way through. Yes, I have done handles on some.
I am on the road with out my torch and camera. I can do a tutorial if you like when I get home from the gathering.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-06-21, 6:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi
My vessels are beads. The hole goes down the middle. I make them off the end of a mandrel but I like mine better with the hole going all the way through. Yes, I have done handles on some.
I am on the road with out my torch and camera. I can do a tutorial if you like when I get home from the gathering.
OMG Heather those are gorgeous. I assume that's Kronos you've got on there and it's beautiful!! So you're on the road huh???? anywhere near Tx??? lol
Yes please a tutorial on the vessels AND the kronos!!!

TINK you're writing a book??? How fantastic!!! Hurry up girl!!!! :0)

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-06-21, 7:49am
Insane? You're Insane!

Here is what you've all inspired me to do. I only burnt one finger! I am so proud of it! Now I MUST get a dimond bit for my dremel! Thank you for the inspiration!
Old 2006-06-21, 8:58am

Beautiful sites on the formed beads and bottles and glass. All of it is just WOW to say the least. Thanks Tink for all the information. Will try it one of these days. Thanks to all the others also. Have also book marked the information.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-06-21, 10:52am

Hi Cyndi
I make a lot of vessels but don't have a tutorial. You can use any steel wool dipped into bead release to forma core vessel. Of course you can blow them and I do a combo of all of the above depending onthe type. It's hard to describe the process in writing(for me anyway). I do teach locally and just taught a vessel class at B&B I hope to do the same next year. If you have particular questions just private email me and I'll try to help
Pam

STOP to see my new etsy shop!

Old 2006-06-21, 10:56am

Hi Cyndi
i make a lot of vessels and use all types of centers. Blown..sludged and just built.
I taught a vessel class last week at B&B and hope to do the same next year. I also teach in my home studio. I don't have a tutorial but if you email with particular problems I'll try to help as best i can.
Vessels can be tricky. I suggest trying to find a good teacher in your area.
Pam

Old 2006-06-21, 10:58am

Default cyndi answer

Hi Cyndi
The system keeps saying my message is too short and won't send it! I'll try one more time..so just write me privately and I'll try to help.
Pam

Old 2006-06-21, 6:59pm

I luuuuv making core vessels. I use a large sized mandrel dipped a few times .
What I wanted to tell you is ...after you clean your vessel out as much as you can you can also give it a soak in Vinegar. Then clean again. Works great for me. Q-tips work great to for the final cleaning.
Good Luck and have fun.
Old 2006-06-24, 8:19pm

You say blown, sludged and just built. I understand blown. I've blown a few. My problem with them is to be short enough to fit in my kiln I end up with burnt fingers or lips, lol.

What is "sludged?" Is it like when I build up a core of bead release? Or can I use something other than bead release without using steelwool? I really hate steel wool in my fingers.

But there has to be something easier to clean out than hard baked bead release. (As long as that something isn't dung like the history books say the Ancient Egyptians used, lol)

There are no teachers near me. Or I would be there constantly.

Last question for now. What is "just built"?

BoniBell
Old 2006-06-25, 11:59am

Hi Cyndi! I love making vessels by making a hollow bead ( building 2 disks )near the end of the mandrel, then adding more glass to close up the hole. These are some examples of this type of vessel.I hope this helps!
Rachelle.
Attached Images

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2006-07-02, 1:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelle
Hi Cyndi! I love making vessels by making a hollow bead ( building 2 disks )near the end of the mandrel, then adding more glass to close up the hole. These are some examples of this type of vessel.I hope this helps!
Rachelle.
thas an good idea why didn't I think of that thanks Rachelle!

Jacky
Old 2006-07-02, 1:15pm
HourGlass Studio

Beautiful vessells Rachelle.