Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-09-23, 3:25pm

Hi,

First,I love this tutorial! The effect is absolutely stunning, but I'm having a bit of a problem

The only silver glass I have at the moment is aurae and I just can't get it to work!

I can get the storm whisps ok (brilliantly simple technique by the way) but the colour is just mud.

I have this problem with silver glasses anyway but thought I'd got aurae sussed after buying the "making silver glass sing" tutorial.
I think I'm over reducing but I can't see how you can get it to melt enough for the technique to work without over reducing it and turning it to poop!(if over reducing is the problem).

Any hints or tips to get me on track would be really appreciated,

Rob.
p.s. I'm on a Bobcat with a 5lpm oxycon.

p.p.s I've also tried with Dalai Lama and yup - poop
Old 2009-09-23, 4:27pm
Storm Queen

If your Aurae looks icky just try doing a light storm with it. Aurae should give you caramel like shown in figure 11, bead 6 in the tutorial. I think it may be a good idea to get some Olympia Rain or Zeus and some Golden Emerald. You can't go wrong with those colors and using them first will help you get the hang of it. I'm actually shocked at how quickly most people are storming so well so don't get discouraged. Don't throw out those muddy stormed Aurae stringers either, use them for your base dot and top them with something else that's been lightly stormed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-23, 4:28pm
Storm Queen

Oh and Dali Lama is a striking color so it's not good for storming. The reason Ekho works is because it's both a striking and reducing glass.

Old 2009-09-23, 4:48pm

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Emerald green and Zeus are now ordered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm actually shocked at how quickly most people are storming so well so don't get discouraged.
You shouldn't be, you've written an exceptionally clear and user friendly tutorial that's worth every penny ( the customer service is pretty good too! ).

Thanks again

Rob
Old 2009-09-23, 4:50pm
Storm Queen

Awe....thanks Rob!

Old 2009-09-24, 6:24pm
Puddy Cat Lover

OMG Amy!
This was so much fun to make, and surprisingly fast. This is my first and only attempt. I wasn't going to do this because I wasn't sure I had all the right glass. But thanks to a trade I made for Triton a couple weeks ago, I found that I could indeed attempt it. It's still on the mandrel because I still have to anneal it. I don't normally batch anneal big beads, but now I'll have to. Hope it doesn't crack before that. I'm pretty proud of this bead. Now I wish I would have made it on a 3/16" mandrel so I could use it in my Pandora bracelet. Oh well, my next attempt will be the big hole bead. Pardon the background mess.
Thank you so so much!

J.
Attached Images

Old 2009-09-24, 6:27pm
Storm Queen

Nice Jeanette....very pretty storming in there!

Old 2009-09-24, 7:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

There are some beads made from Bullseye in the Gallery thread if anyone is wanting to see them!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-09-24, 8:23pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Amy, your "trial by fire" for the tutorial will be if I can make them! I got the tut last week and I've been on jury duty all this week so I haven't been able to try it out. But I guarantee, if I can make them, you will know that anyone can make them. If I can't make them, it's just proof that I'm a miserably poor wannabe lampworker! LOL. Wish me luck, y'all! The trial finished up today, so maybe I can play with it this weekend.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2009-09-25, 2:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
It's fantastic isn't it? I was playing with it for HotHead users and here's the results I have so far. I must say, I used a bad rod of Olympia Rain (remember that second batch that just went yellow?) and I could still get some decent reactions.

- Oly Rain

- Aurae
I only have a HotHead & really want to make the reduction colors! Do you cover your ports with foil only or a cut-down soda can, or how? I assume you then hold the "port-blocker" with a gloved hand, but do you have to work way out in the flame or closer in. Sorry, I really haven't got the reduction thing to work yet...
JD Leigh
Old 2009-09-25, 5:37pm
Ad astra per aspera

I finally got a chance to download this tut. Amy, it's spectacular, thank you so much for sharing!!!! I have 3 rods of the original OR, and I've kept meaning to sell it. For once, procrastinating pays off!

Old 2009-09-25, 6:07pm
Storm Queen

Thanks Karen, I'm glad you like it.

Old 2009-09-25, 6:29pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleigh View Post
I only have a HotHead & really want to make the reduction colors! Do you cover your ports with foil only or a cut-down soda can, or how? I assume you then hold the "port-blocker" with a gloved hand, but do you have to work way out in the flame or closer in. Sorry, I really haven't got the reduction thing to work yet...
JD Leigh
I just have aluminum foil wrapped around the base of my HotHead. I made a little handle with the foil and I just slide it up when I want to reduce and slide it back down when I'm done. I have to redo it once a month but aluminum foil is cheap. I reduce way out from the flame tip - like maybe 8 inches away from the flame...

Old 2009-09-26, 7:20am
Jacqueline Parkes

I just use an oven mitt in one hand and cover the holes when needed.

Great tutorial btw. I thought I had it figured out in my head how you were doing the storming effect. Boy was I wrong!

Old 2009-09-26, 3:21pm
Channeling Chaos

Okay. I am soo excited after reading this thread, I just had to get this tut. If I receive it this weekend, I may even have a little time to play!
Alana
Old 2009-09-26, 3:23pm
Storm Queen

I just emailed it to you Alana!

FYI: If you don't want to wait for me to email it then you can instantly download it from my website. Much faster than purchasing through Etsy.

Old 2009-09-26, 5:07pm
Channeling Chaos

Amy-
Already got it and have been out playing. Glad I have a load of OR to get me started. I am having lots of fun, I certainly need to practice better dot placement and this will make me PPP!
alana
Old 2009-09-26, 10:04pm
MacGalver

Alright, I'm a bit confused. I downloaded the tut, which is very well written and clear (thanks Amy!). My impression from the tut is that the technique will only work with a reducing silver glass, correct? Then, after reading, I come back here and check out the gallery and see Bullseye stormed beads. Does Bullseye make silver glass? Or are people mixing 104 silver glass with BE? That doesn't seem possible, but what do I know? LOL.

Clarification, please! Thank you.
Old 2009-09-26, 10:25pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Alright, I'm a bit confused. I downloaded the tut, which is very well written and clear (thanks Amy!). My impression from the tut is that the technique will only work with a reducing silver glass, correct? Then, after reading, I come back here and check out the gallery and see Bullseye stormed beads. Does Bullseye make silver glass? Or are people mixing 104 silver glass with BE? That doesn't seem possible, but what do I know? LOL.

Clarification, please! Thank you.
You have every right to be confused! I've never used Bullseye so it didn't even dawn on me that this would work with Bullseye glass. However I believe that the Bullseye lusters are reduction glass so....yes, it works with Bullseye. How cool is that?

Old 2009-09-26, 10:33pm
MacGalver

Thanks!
Old 2009-09-27, 9:40am

I just tried this with some boro today, I'll let you know how it turns out but it looked good going into the kiln. I have a feeling as long as it's reduction glass it doesn't matter about the coe.
Old 2009-09-27, 9:50am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv4ever View Post
I just tried this with some boro today, I'll let you know how it turns out but it looked good going into the kiln. I have a feeling as long as it's reduction glass it doesn't matter about the coe.
Interesting! I'm clueless about boro so I had no idea you reduced it.

Old 2009-09-29, 11:06am

I have been thinking "What a great Boro idea!" and am waiting to see someone do it!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-09-29, 7:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

There are plenty of COE 96 glasses that this would work with too!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-09-30, 8:43am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
There are plenty of COE 96 glasses that this would work with too!
Really? Do tell. I have a plethora of COE 96 glass.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-09-30, 9:53am

Any of the iris colors should work well. and the "silver" ones
Old 2009-09-30, 6:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Any of the iris colors should work well. and the "silver" ones
yup!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-10-01, 5:33am
Rose colored glasses…√

The storming only really shows up on my beads if the entire bead is seasoned with the stormed stringer. Well, it shows in the dots, but who carries a magnifying glass with them?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-10-01, 9:55am
Storm Queen

This is a Sea Pod I made a long time ago and the dots don't line up perfect so I kept it for myself. You can see that the stormed dots are much smaller than I do now but you can still see the storming going on.

Old 2009-10-01, 10:08am
Broken

Amy I love that, the whole thing. The matching crystals and all it's pretty cool. But yeah those dots are all wonky!