LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-06-27, 1:41pm

Default What size propane tank do you have?

I'm still working on my studio set up. What size tank do you have and how long does it last?
Old 2011-06-27, 2:02pm
Alaska Boro

Many use the standard BBQ tank. How long it will last will depend on your torch and the type of glass work you are doing.

For a Cricket, doing beads less than 22 mm in OD a 2.5 gallon propane tank will last about 23 hours. For a larger torch less......
Old 2011-06-27, 2:33pm

I run a Scorpion, with 40 lb. propane tank. I have it filled three times a year. Of course, I don't do production work and don't work all day every day. I just hate fooling with the smaller tanks.
Joan
Old 2011-06-27, 3:06pm

I have 2 BBQ tanks that I rotate. Seems like they last about 30 hours or so. I am running a mirage right now mostly on the lynx center with tanked Oxy.
Old 2011-06-29, 1:56pm

Thanks.
I have a 40 lb. tank and it's outdated and can't refill again. I am going to exchange for new 40 lb.
Old 2011-06-29, 6:25pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Take tank to a bulk service provider and have it inspected and re-certified.... It may be cheaper than giving it up for a new tank...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-01, 9:27am

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that.
Old 2011-07-01, 6:36pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Take tank to a bulk service provider and have it inspected and re-certified.... It may be cheaper than giving it up for a new tank...

Dale
We have a place near here called Firebrand that sells fire extinguishers and fireman equipment. I believe they will test and recertify tanks.
Old 2011-07-04, 9:45am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I use a Mirage to make marbles and small sculptures. I work a couple hours 3 or 4 times a week, most weeks. A BBQ size tank lasts several months.
Old 2011-08-29, 11:42pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I use a Mirage to make marbles and small sculptures. I work a couple hours 3 or 4 times a week, most weeks. A BBQ size tank lasts several months.
I have yet to hook up my new cricket and propan tank. I am a little afraid of it running dry because I have heard a few stories that were scary. Is there a gauge I can get that will tell me how full it is? I am using my hot head still with my Chemtane tank but want to make the switch soon now that my ume hood is done.
Old 2011-08-30, 1:36am
Alaska Boro

The issue with a pressure gauge on the tank is that propane pressure will vary depending on ambient temperature. However, if the tank pressure starts and continues to drop, then that would be a good indication that the tank may be near empty. But overall, is not a very good indicator for BBQ grill sized tanks.

The best way IMO is to weigh the tank when empty and then when full. As you approach the empty weight you will know when to refill. Most tanks have the empty weight stamped on the tank, but weigh to make sure as the addition of the hose and gauges will add some to that number. i.e. years ago tanks were filled by weight - today it is by gallon.

Another process is to see where the frost line is as you are using the fuel. Again, one will have to know where the tank bottom is.
Old 2011-08-30, 7:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
I have yet to hook up my new cricket and propan tank. I am a little afraid of it running dry because I have heard a few stories that were scary. Is there a gauge I can get that will tell me how full it is? I am using my hot head still with my Chemtane tank but want to make the switch soon now that my ume hood is done.
I just know the relative weight difference between a full and almost empty BBQ tank and keep an eye on it as it empties over time. As the tank starts to go dry you will see an immediate difference in the flame so you will know when it is just about empty. What stories have you heard? I am just curious....
Old 2011-08-30, 7:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

Would like to hear some of the stories too... Might be good time to debunk some myths...

As for how full a tank is, not only weight tell how much liquid propane remains in tank, but if you take hot water and just dribble a stream of it over side of tank, steel shell of tank will warm by transferring heat from water to the steel, if you run your hand down side of tank you will find a area where there is temperature change from warm to cool, this is level of liquid propane in tank.

Dale

Old 2011-08-30, 9:57am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I think the story I have heard a few times that sticks with me the most is that if you run the tank until it's dry then you risk a flashback. I think I remember hearing that your hose could pop off. I will try to look up where I saw those a little bit later.
Old 2011-08-30, 2:20pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
I think the story I have heard a few times that sticks with me the most is that if you run the tank until it's dry then you risk a flashback. I think I remember hearing that your hose could pop off. I will try to look up where I saw those a little bit later.
hummm... Tank "dry" means no fuel, there for no flashback..... Prime cause of flashback is fuel explosion traveling up hose....

Dale

Old 2011-08-30, 5:22pm

Quote:
Low gas = low pressure but does no equal reverse pressure.

The story, from a physics standpoint, it doesn't make sense.

To answer your question Suds, I have 2 BBQ tanks and one lasts at least a month on my RedMax working an average of 1-2 hours a day using the top premix torch.
Old 2011-08-30, 11:23pm

Quote:
Where do these stories come from? Neither of these should be issues at all with running a tank to empty. I do it regularly and have not had a problem.
Old 2011-08-31, 10:43am
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Where do these stories come from? Neither of these should be issues at all with running a tank to empty. I do it regularly and have not had a problem.
it comes from the welding industry, it's more a problem with internal mix torches, but with reverse flow check valves and flashback arrestor, this problem has pretty much disappeared.
Old 2011-08-31, 8:02pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
it comes from the welding industry, it's more a problem with internal mix torches, but with reverse flow check valves and flashback arrestor, this problem has pretty much disappeared.
Thank you! I have been scouring this place. I have surface mix. I thought I was remembering wrong.

Last edited by BrownGirl; 2011-09-03 at 9:49am.
Old 2011-09-02, 9:44am
Curmudgeon Engineering

A pressure guage on a propane tank is pretty much useless. Why?

Your propane tank contains liquid propane. The pressure in the tank is developed because the liquid propane is essentially 'boiling' when at normal environmental temperature. The pressure will vary up or down depending on the environmental temps. As long as there is any amount of liquid in the tank the boiling propane will maintain that pressure, aprox 135 psi. See the tables that Dale has linked to several times. Now when you have used enough of the propane gas that all the propane liquid has produced so that the liquid is all boiled away then and only then will the pressure drop. Since the tank is a relatively small volumn and there is no liquid to boil off and replace the gas the pressure drops very suddenly. And you are out of gas

Very simplified explanation.

ETA - the pressure does not continue to build up because for each liquid/gas there is an equlibrium point where the pressure in the tank balances the temperature at which the liquid boils. Using any of the gas drops the pressure a little so a little bit of liquid boils off to rebalance the tank system.

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-09-02 at 9:48am.
Old 2011-09-02, 9:56am

I run mine to empty all the time. I have a cuda and a bbq tank and the tank lasts 2-3 months working about 4 hours almost every day. I have a back-up AKA the grill tank.

The guys at the place where I get it filled say an almost empty tank is more dangerous than a full tank but they didn't say why and it didn't make much sense to me anyway.

Old 2011-09-02, 10:08am
Dazed and Confused

I've got a regular BBQ tank and use my Mega Minor about 5-7 hours a week. I've had this tank since the first week of June and its still good, as my regulator is still showing around 125lbs psqin.
Old 2011-09-02, 11:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpullet View Post
I've got a regular BBQ tank and use my Mega Minor about 5-7 hours a week. I've had this tank since the first week of June and its still good, as my regulator is still showing around 125lbs psqin.
But that still does not tell you how much propane remains in tank...

Dale

Old 2011-09-02, 3:50pm
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
But that still does not tell you how much propane remains in tank...

Dale
Sorry, yes, you're right - that comment is a non sequiter. Although it made sense in my head at the time

My point was that a 'normal' BBQ canister, if being used only about an hour a day, will last several weeks.
Old 2011-09-02, 4:58pm
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpullet View Post
Sorry, yes, you're right - that comment is a non sequiter. Although it made sense in my head at the time

My point was that a 'normal' BBQ canister, if being used only about an hour a day, will last several weeks.
The beauty of using a BBQ tanks, is that even on the weekend you can get it filled, and I usually have an extra filled one on stand by.
Old 2011-09-03, 5:35am
Now part of the Dark Side

I remember from welding lessons that if you let the fuel gas tank go empty you risk flashback because:
1) Welding torches are premix and
2) Because they are premix you can force oxy back up the fuel gas line. Acetylene and Oxygen is a HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE combination. Acetylene will self combust at something like 15 psi, which is at or lower than the oxy pressure on a welding/cutting torch.

My 20lb bbq tanks last several months, I use more LP to heat my shop that I do to melt glass.
Old 2011-09-06, 11:02am
Curmudgeon Engineering

That's why the acetylene regulator has a heavy red line from 15 psi up. And while the premix precautions apply, the 15 psi self-igniition pressure does not apply to propane.

ETA - now someone will ask why acetylene cylinders can have such higher pressures in them. The cylinder is filled with Asbestos or other 'pith' type substances that absorb acetone and acetone which disolves acetylene and mitigates the self ignition effects.

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-09-06 at 11:10am.