Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-12-23, 11:33am
new artist at midlife!

Default My Studio - going to be operational by the New Year!

If anyone out there is reading LE on the day before Xmas, I'm looking for some information on what height to make my bench. I'm thinking 36" but I'm also wondering if 42" would give me more flexibility to stand sometimes, sit sometimes, and also lower my chair so the torch could be at eye level. I"m 5'6". What do you do?
Old 2010-12-23, 12:28pm
just another glass addict

My bench is countertop height so I can sit in a drafting chair or stand, depending on what I'm doing. I like having options, and I often change my mind about what height I want to sit at so this works for me.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-23, 12:30pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

My bench started out at about 42". Was too high even for standing and I'm 5'11 1/2". My stool was high enough that sitting at that height was OK but awkward to get off and on the stool, particularly in a hurry...hot glass in lap I cut it down to 36" and use a different stool and with my arm rests it is comfortable from both positions now.

Note: I bought one of those tractor seat stools and it came with casters. VERY BAD!! Damn thing kept scooting out from under me. Looked online and all the office and hardware places.... no one has chair feet (WTF) so I had to make them. Point is to be careful of chairs/stools with casters when the seat of the chair/stool is higher than regular seat height. VERY DANGEROUS!
Old 2010-12-23, 1:20pm
Salt Box Beads

My bench is 38" high. My arm rests are 5" taller. I can sit or stand. I am 5'6". Actually almost 5'7..apparently I grew taller in my 40's.

I bought a saddle chair with a foot rung and I took the wheels off and used the flat casters because it kept slipping out from under me.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-12-23 at 7:02pm.
Old 2010-12-24, 4:56am

Mine is 36", I am 5'3", and both stand and sit to torch. This height is much easier on my back than when I was work on a shorter table.
Lori
Old 2010-12-24, 1:11pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have a drafting height chair from Office Depot - with wheels. I couldn't use it if it didn't have wheels! Funny how something works for one person but is wrong for another.

I use one of the workbenches from Sears as my table. Love that thing but I'm not sure what height it is. Maybe 36"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-12-24, 1:47pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

My work table in the studio in Louisiana is about 42". This is my stained glass work table. I can sit in my drafting chair or stand. I use rubber mats on the floor from Harbor Freight. My torch station is about 36" and I use a creation station. I adjust my chair down and it works for me. I'm like Lori, I couldn't work without the rollers on my chair. I just ordered a 12' x 24' building shell with a 48" door and a 6' x 6' rollup door, for my studio here in FL. The reason I just ordered a shell is so that Bill and I can custom make all bench tops and storage areas to fit ME. I'm 5'11"...mostly legs. LOL

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2010-12-24, 3:23pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'm in the process of a studio build. I went for standing height. It's easier to adjust a chair's height than my own. If you stand with your shoulders in a neutral position while your arms are bent at the elbows with hands straight out in front of you that should give you your working height. Then measure the height of your torch with it angled in the direction you use it, subtract that from your working height and that would be about where I'd put the top of the table. I'm only 5' tall, so my table will be lower than what most people would consider standing height.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-12-25, 8:06am

Default My set up isn't good, but

My table is 34 inches, I bought a used metal work bench. I have several used office chairs.
At the studio it is much more comfortable. I measured the table is 31" and we use adjustable chairs. Trying to decide if I am going to cut my table down, or have a new one made.
Hope this helps. Also I am 5'2"
Old 2010-12-26, 7:07pm
new artist at midlife!

Thanks, everyone. As always, your experience is really helpful. I have access to an old wood work bench that is 36", and I think I'm going to start with that. I also have a creation station that I have not ever used. I am going to mount my vent hood on the wall 24" up from the top of the table, and it won't be easy to change it . . . but it sounds like I will probably come close! More details will be coming soon!