LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-15, 6:14pm

Has anyone else had trouble encasing? Everytime I encase any color of devadi, it gets thermal looking cracks. I've used both vetro and devardi clear.
Old 2009-11-15, 6:32pm

Hi Redayh ! I can't say I've had problems with encasing, and I've been using the glass for several months now. I use moretti clear, no 004. Are you annealing your beads in a kiln? I also mix the devardi with other glass and have not experienced any cracks.
Old 2009-11-15, 6:38pm

Yep, I put them directly into the kiln. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?
Old 2009-11-15, 6:44pm

are you making sure to keep your base bead warm enough as you encase? I know that sounds stupid but sometimes if your bead gets too cool you can get cracking.
Old 2009-11-15, 7:06pm

I'll try to keep them warmer. I put the last ones into the kiln glowing and they still cracked.
Old 2009-11-16, 5:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Hazing & Nit Picking Nice People

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
You seem to have lot of diverse and various questions: what to wear, how to encase, petals, etc. All of these questions and more are addressed in other threads on this forum. You can search or browse outside of just this thread. Your questions are not ONLY related to Devardi and should be addressed in other parts of the forum.

I'm sure you'll have a great time looking around.

What you are doing is a form of hazing. It goes with the word Bully.

The definition of hazing is roughly:
"behavior that involves humiliation, harassment or abuse"

The NICE people on this thread are here to discuss the use of Devardi glass and how to work with it. They DO use other threads when THEY want to.

The "NOT SO NICE" people are on this thread nit pick and harass and bully people away from enjoyable posting and discussions about Devardi glass.

Devardi glass IS compatible with other 104 glass, but it is a stiff glass and requires different heat, handling and shaping. That is EXACTLY what we should be able to talk about here on this thread that is specific to Devardi glass without being insulted or bullied over it.

I would bet there are plenty of other threads that you can go on and tell people to stop talking so freely and go elsewhere for info. It would be nice if you would.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2009-11-16 at 6:16am.
Old 2009-11-16, 6:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
What you are doing is a form of hazing. It goes with the word Bully.

The definition of hazing is roughly:
"behavior that involves humiliation, harassment or abuse"
Telling you that their is a wealth of information on this forum for you to explore is hazing and bullying???
Wow. That's really sad.

Good luck to you.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:23am

Quote:
Telling you that their is a wealth of information on this forum for you to explore is hazing and bullying???
Wow. That's really sad.

Good luck to you.
Mini It does appear, "they" only want to push this glass and this thread .

I thought your suggestion was a good one. and the response to unkind.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:28am

mini--give it a rest. Seriously. if you *truely* wanted to be helpful (and maybe draw FineFolly out of this thread) you could throw in LINKS to the information folks are seeking OUTSIDE the thread.

If you're just here to be snarky, DON'T. I get (and so does everyone else) that Devardi has it's share of "it's from India, it's gonna suck" people, and I *also* happen to know that FineFolly has been flamed a couple of times *elsewhere* on the forum when she's/they've asked about techniques BECAUSE of the type of glass they prefer/currently use.

Most of the folks using Devardi simply DON'T TALK ABOUT IT ON OTHER AREAS OF THE FORUM @ the present time--which means that if you're an "exclusive user", you're pretty much stuck in this thread--unless you want someone to come into the thread & get it flushed, or merged back into *this* thread. I'm sorry if *Anyone* has had trouble figuring that out--but--at the moment, this glass is still "unaccepted" & will be until a "big name" glass worker/bead maker or several admits to using it (Much as happened with the CIM line)

Mini, (and anyone else) if you've got issues with the glass simply because of it's origin, please keep them to yourself. If you've got issues with the people in the thread--well, that's pretty much YOUR problem as well--they'd best be dealt with in PM form.
However, if you've got WORKING EXPERIENCE WITH THE GLASS, we'd LOVE to hear it!!! We're all about the colors, the working knowledge, & how to get the best out of this stuff--the price is fantastic, the sellers are incredibly nice & they're LISTENING TO US, the BUYERS on what we WANT (ie: pink, purple, great price on dichro!) & providing it!
~luna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-16, 7:32am

Yellowbird--this THREAD is ABOUT "Devardi Glass"--why would we NOT want to push "this glass" on "this thread"??? It's much like the thread in the gallery on "lauscha"--would you go show a Double Helix bead there??? Uh, I sure as heck wouldn't--it's for "lauscha"
This particular thread is FOR Devardi.
Go search other brands--they ALL have multiple threads--heck, there's DOZENS of threads for CIM, many by single colors!!
Corri batched ALL the Devardi threads into this ONE due to "issues" folks were having over the idea of glass from india....I'd think you (who the *hell* are you anyway? *some* of us have NAMES) would be thrilled that all of us "users" were kept safely inside one little holding area!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-16, 7:32am

Quote:
Wow. That's really sad.

Good luck to you.
Mini, you are the one who is sad, I'm sorry that you don't have much of a life and feel the need to "police" what other people do. There is a name for that too and it's called being a "control freak". Everyone on this thread posts in other areas. People are well aware of what this forum has to offer.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:49am

Smile Pink?

Hi-

I just purchased my first lb. of Devardi glass- it is the opaque pink. I went through 1 rod trying to use it, and it shattered, even though I introduced it really slowly (as per the instructions I received after I purchased it) into the flame. I annealed the next 2 rods for my usual hold/anneal cycle- held at 970for 4 hours, annealed at 980 for one hour (with my batch of bead), and both of these rods also shattered down to a nib. To the point where I have yet to make one bead out of this glass. Any suggestions? The color is really nice, and I'd love to use it, as it is the truest pink I've seen.

Any info anyone has would be really helpful- after reading through the posts, it appears that everyone here is using this glass with no problems.

Thanks, Laura

Old 2009-11-16, 8:03am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandryan View Post
Hi-

I just purchased my first lb. of Devardi glass- it is the opaque pink. I went through 1 rod trying to use it, and it shattered, even though I introduced it really slowly (as per the instructions I received after I purchased it) into the flame. I annealed the next 2 rods for my usual hold/anneal cycle- held at 970for 4 hours, annealed at 980 for one hour (with my batch of bead), and both of these rods also shattered down to a nib. To the point where I have yet to make one bead out of this glass. Any suggestions? The color is really nice, and I'd love to use it, as it is the truest pink I've seen.

Any info anyone has would be really helpful- after reading through the posts, it appears that everyone here is using this glass with no problems.

Thanks, Laura
You absolutely MUST preheat the pink if you don't want it ot shatter. Annealing does nothing to alleviate the problem. Well, I don't always preheat mine, but when I don't I start wayyyy at the back of the flame and I rotate the rod slowly, just heating the very tip. Once the tip starts to change color, I bring it in a little more (slowly!). My way is too time consuming. It's faster to just pop them in the kiln or rod warmer until you're ready to use it.

Old 2009-11-16, 8:34am

What do you guys think about the gold stuff that is going to be in the next shipment?
Looks fun!
Old 2009-11-16, 8:57am

Default Copper Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
What do you guys think about the gold stuff that is going to be in the next shipment?
Looks fun!
Hey, That looks totally interesting. If I was closer, I would be camping out to get it.

Glad to see the thread back on track. This thread was branched off the old one, so we could learn about this glass, without all the argument. It would be a shame to see it hijacked!
Jim
Old 2009-11-16, 11:34am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's a pic of the new semi-opaque pink I got a few days ago. Man, does this glass sculpt well!! I'm gonna try the dichroic today too.

Let's see some more photos gang!

Jack

(That was a great idea encasing the gold sparkle rods!)

Old 2009-11-16, 11:50am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Pink & Celery & Metallic Black

I just got the most recent pink and it is nothing like the first. No shattering or shocking with preheating.

These are the first beads I've done with the Metallic Black on my Hothead. I am excited with this first go-round test. This pic is of both the pink and the celery with the Metallic Black and regular black swirled in a bit.

Old 2009-11-16, 1:40pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default To Cute Candy-Bead

Here's a bead I was just asked to post. The Maker (Baby Firefly) can't yet work out posting so here it is! Pretty murrini and Goldstone detailing!

Very sweet Candy-Bead! Devardi is yummy! Here's what Baby Firefly says is in it:
"Butterscotch ends, med brown center, silver ivory shard, murrini, I made with my own little hands, topped off with that encased in clear adventurine stringer I'm so in love with."

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2009-11-16 at 3:35pm.
Old 2009-11-16, 2:42pm

Kristina, you're the absolute best, many thanks for doing all the work of posting my bead for me. I have so many more, will work hard to figure out how to upload them myself. Butterscotch ends, med brown center, silver ivory shard, murrini, I made with my own little hands, topped off with that encased in clear adventurine stringer I'm so in love with.

Jack, you can do the dichro thing, just keep it out of the flame as much as possible, I've been having such great luck with it.

Kristina, again, many thanks.........
Old 2009-11-16, 3:13pm

for those with the cracking problems:

How do you anneal? Batch or right into the kiln?

What's your garage temp and your ramp down schedule? How long does it all take?

I'm of the opinion that if it's running down the mandrel and it looks like a thermal crack, it probably is one-stating that up front. I have caused and will cause beads to crack again from looking at them for too long during one point or another during the process of making them, or admiring them for too long before getting them into the kiln. I've just gotten to the point now that I swear I can actually feel a bead crack while working it. Usually it's a very subtle crack when that happens, too. I also think that anyone, no matter how long you've been doing it, can make a mistake.
Old 2009-11-16, 3:19pm

I put them right into the kiln. I garage at 960. When I finish torching I hold at 960 for an hour, then down to 840 over the course of about an hour. Hold there for an hour. Then same thing down to 750. Then down. It's worked like a charm for me in the past.

The last ones I put in glowing and still thermal looking cracks. I may just be working them too long or too cool before putting them in, but I've never had cracking, not even with Lauscha. I've used both vetro and Devardi's new clear (which was surprisingly clear).
Old 2009-11-16, 3:24pm

I got my package today!

I love that the brown glass is actually brown! I've never cared for the shades of moretti browns-too much red.

I also got this really cool pale opaque green that makes me think of easter instantly. Plus the dichro! I didn't expect that many of the little strips of it. I love the way the dichro on black looks, and the dichro on the white is intriguingly subtle looking. I did notice that I seem to have a lot of the red end of the rainbow on them, which is ok-I got as many that show more of the blue end on them that I expected to get in an ounce, lol. The little strips are so thin I can see how you could probably fry it without trying. You could bend 'em in a candle, too, I bet.

I'm dogsitting tomorrow, so it'll be a few more days before I hit the studio.
Old 2009-11-16, 3:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
I put them right into the kiln. I garage at 960. When I finish torching I hold at 960 for an hour, then down to 840 over the course of about an hour. Hold there for an hour. Then same thing down to 750. Then down. It's worked like a charm for me in the past.

The last ones I put in glowing and still thermal looking cracks. I may just be working them too long or too cool before putting them in, but I've never had cracking, not even with Lauscha. I've used both vetro and Devardi's new clear (which was surprisingly clear).
Next question: are you working with any other types of glass currently? If so, how's it doing in the kiln, or does everything have some devardi in it?
Old 2009-11-16, 4:44pm

All the other glass is doing fine in the kiln
Old 2009-11-16, 5:52pm

Oh those are pretty beads! I did some with the transparent Cranberry and the opaque bright yellow. Unfortunately my daughter has been really sick the last day and a half and I am too tired to go down and see how they turned out, much less take pictures. I also did a set of burgnady, just playing with it. Its a really pretty color, although I did notice if I did not put enough of the burgandy (the transparent) on top of the white, it looks more topaz than burgandy. But if there is enough on it or its the base color its stunning! I also did a couple of beads with the butterscotch as a base and the med transparent brown I believe. Really pretty color but lots of bubble in the brown and a fair amount of frit. It may just be this rod though I haven't looked at the rest to see if there are that many bubbles in the rest of the batch or not. I like bubble for some things so I will just save that rod for when I want that look. It really is a pretty color. Oh and I did a pale green, I believe its the pale lime opaque. Oh my now that is a yummy color, no problems at all! It marbles up beautifully, a lot like the pea green from morretti I believe.

Okay I had to go look at the bead from the other day lol! The cranberry turned semi opaque but is a beautiful color! And I didn't scorch the yellow, I have so much trouble with the yellows from moretti and vetrofond burning to a crisp if I am doing multiple layers of dots. Not this one, its bright yellow and not a scorch mark to be seen.

On the thermal cracking, I have a really bad tendency to look at my beads too long lol! Even though I know better. As soon as I get my kiln set up (i still have to take it out of the box) I will have to force myself to just stick them in there and leave them alone lol!

Old 2009-11-16, 5:53pm

I ordered some today, for the first time. Baby Firefly is a good internet friend of mine, and she is making some awesome beads, and highly recommends this glass. And Baby firefly, I fixed those pics for you early this evening, and sent them back to you. Good Luck!

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-11-16, 7:05pm

Nell, welcome to the thread!!! So happy to see you here, many thanks to you for the nice compliments on my work, coming from someone who's been doing this for awhile, that means so much!! We're here to help you, this place is filled with such nice folks.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:07pm

Baby Firefly, I sent you some screen captures, so maybe you could learn to post a photo. There in your email.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-16, 7:12pm

Natasha from Devardi sent me a very helpful email about controlling my heat. I'll give it a try and report back to you guys tomorrow.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:14pm

Yeah Natasha, is great I sent an email, to her before I placed my order, and I had immediate response. That was awesome.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi