Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-23, 9:51am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Gosh Houkje! Leave a little for the rest of us! Sounds like they will have to use a train to get your order to you! JUST kidding! How fun!

I think I will get the full collection of stringers, plus way to much myself! The new graphite marble makers seem neat too!

Has anyone used an aluminum marver?
Yes I use an aluminum marver all the time... But I do find that some of the glasses do react with it... Can't remember witch ones off the top of my head though... I do like mine... The one I have has the fins on one side and a flat surface on the other...

Now that all the new glass is listed except for the buy buttons, my wish list is finished... 6LB short of Four 18LB boxes... And I'm waiting for the new toys (tools) to come in to finish it... Not sure about a train, but may need a truck to get it all here... Now I just need to find room to put it all.. Some of the new colors are just to die for... And like Bethany said I kept trying to prioritize my list, but it just kept growing! So now I can't go back to peek until Fri. evening when I put in my order..
Any one else having trouble deciding what colors you just can't live without????

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-09-24, 9:54am

Hi everyone... Since my wish list is finished, I got to play at the torch yesterday... Here are two pendent beads I made...
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-24, 10:12am

And a few more...
The first two were made with orphan stinger bits that were just handy on the bench... Now I wish I knew what they were because I really like the beads.. They both have silver foil in them... The thee hearts are an experiment with mica mineral makeup... I so like the effect... The last two I was just playing with some of the lavender and purples...
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-24, 8:22pm

Is anyone seeing the buy buttons for the new glass yet? They were supposed to be active hours ago. I wanted to try a few things, but most of what I want I can't select.
Old 2010-09-24, 11:25pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

Newbie here jujst placed my first 10# glass order from devarti. PaulaP from strung out critters turned me on to this and we both placed our order tonight. YAYYYYYYYYY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-25, 1:30am

I was wondering if there was anyone who knows of any classes in the east texas area? I live in Marshall texas, which is on the louisiana/texas border. I think dallas has some but I am having a hard time finding any. It is a 2 hour drive for me to dallas.

Old 2010-09-25, 11:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh Houkje, you are doing lovely work! Thanks for posting it.

I haven't been on the torch for a few weeks and I'm in a withdrawl state! Soon I can get back to it. I just put in my order and that will be inspirational!
Old 2010-09-25, 5:54pm

Houkje-your work is beautiful!
Old 2010-09-26, 11:29am

Beautiful beads houkje!

Are you guys ready for this? My internet and cable crashed Friday afternoon around 2 eastern time, I didn't get it back til today! Thank goodness they still had everything I needed! So I am getting another umm 7 pounds of glass lol. I am pretty sure I have some of almost everything. I got a pound of opaque white, I am really hoping that I can encase it with some of the darker transparents. I am having some issues with the darker transparent cracking when I use them to encase other whites. And some of those darks are so beautiful when layered over white.

Old 2010-09-26, 11:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Awesome Sonja! What a relief to be able to get what you wanted!

Let us know about the encasing!
Old 2010-09-26, 11:45am

Yes especially since I needed at least another pound of the dark violet for those chandelier drops! I am glad she has been so patient waiting on me to finish these!

Old 2010-09-26, 2:19pm

Steven you may want to post this in the "Your own backyard" section of the forum. I hope you are able to find classes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlite View Post
I was wondering if there was anyone who knows of any classes in the east texas area? I live in Marshall texas, which is on the louisiana/texas border. I think dallas has some but I am having a hard time finding any. It is a 2 hour drive for me to dallas.
Old 2010-09-27, 5:06am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Newbie here jujst placed my first 10# glass order from devarti. PaulaP from strung out critters turned me on to this and we both placed our order tonight. YAYYYYYYYYY!
Welcome Steven! If we can answer any questions we sure will. There are so many helpful people here!

If you can't find a class there is an excellent book called "Passing The Flame" by Corina Tettinger that covers everything with great pictures. You can get it used on Amazon.com or on her site.

Let us know how you do, and post pics!
Old 2010-09-27, 5:07am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Yes especially since I needed at least another pound of the dark violet for those chandelier drops! I am glad she has been so patient waiting on me to finish these!
Sonja, we would love to see a pic of your chandelier drops if you can work it out! What a great commission!
Old 2010-09-27, 10:09am

Hi everyone..
Kristina, Bethany, Sonja, Thank you for the kind words about my beads..

Kristina, I see the Critter book is out... Way to go girl... I spent far to much money on glass, so I will have to wait until Nov. to get one... Sure hope there will be one left...

Steven, Welcome aboard.. Please do post pics of your beads.. and like Kristina said, if you have any questions ask away... Someone here will try to help.. Hope you enjoy your new glass..

Old 2010-09-27, 4:57pm

Thank you all for the information and also inspiration!!! I just bought your book Kristina for me and my mom (PaulaP from strung out critters). She doesn't know it yet and I kinda hope she dont read this post...lol (Shhhhh)... surprise....lol

Old 2010-09-28, 4:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Thank you all for the information and also inspiration!!! I just bought your book Kristina for me and my mom (PaulaP from strung out critters). She doesn't know it yet and I kinda hope she dont read this post...lol (Shhhhh)... surprise....lol
Thank you Steven! If you have questions as you work please email - I'll help all I can!

Old 2010-10-01, 6:24am

Hey everybody! My glass came yesterday. Has anyone else gotten theirs? I look forward to playing this weekend. Also-I won the 10 lb. sampler for September! I never win anything! Doing a little happy dance here!
Hope everyone has wonderful glassy days through the weekend and make beautiful beads or critters!
Old 2010-10-01, 6:27am
StudioMarcy

Hi Bethany,
I have gotten some of my order. I placed one order before the new stuff came in and then a second one. Yikes! The first one is here and I've been busy playing with it. so much fun.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-01, 6:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Hey everybody! My glass came yesterday. Has anyone else gotten theirs? I look forward to playing this weekend. Also-I won the 10 lb. sampler for September! I never win anything! Doing a little happy dance here!
Hope everyone has wonderful glassy days through the weekend and make beautiful beads or critters!

CONGRATULATIONS! hopefully I get my glass soon!

Old 2010-10-01, 7:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post

How neat is that! Congrats!
Old 2010-10-01, 1:22pm

I checked with them today. As I figured, they're swamped filling orders. They just finished orders from the 24th today and are starting on orders from the 25th. They must have sold a ton of glass to have a week's worth of packing for one day's orders!
Old 2010-10-01, 1:33pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

It's a misery to wait but a joy to know they are doing so well!
Old 2010-10-01, 1:41pm

I can not imagine packaging as much glass as they have to do! Mine came in perfect with no breakage.
Old 2010-10-02, 6:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Vessels

.•:*¨¨*:•. Wooo-Hooo.•:*¨¨*:•.I finally got some torch time last night!

I had some fun making these two Vessels... I used their Pandora sized mandrels with Transparent Forest Green on the floral one, and Lipstick on the swirled pink one. In high heat the Lipstick shifted to the Lilac color for the handle... kinda neat!

The froggie boy is mixed Devardi and effetre glass with air-bubble dots!

Old 2010-10-02, 7:30am
Remember to keep smiling

Houkje, your beads and pendants are wonderful. Love the effect you got with the silver foil ones.

Bethany, "YEAH" you go girl. Congrats on winning the Devardi's glass give away how exciting is that, be sure and share your pics of the goodies you make.

Kristina, how proud you must be the Critter tutorial book looks awesome and I must say you are a very giving individual to put so much of yourself into it for such a great cause the kids at BOC are going to love it when those little critters start arriving.

Steven, sorry I ruined your surprise I saw your post about Kristina's book...lol Steven "dragonlite" is my oldest son I am in Texas at the moment visiting him. I set him up on a HH and introduced him to the world of glass and boy did he get addicted fast....lol I am off to Mississippi next week to visit my yougest son don't know yet if I can get him hooked on glass or not, will keep everyone posted....lol

SRA#P109
Old 2010-10-02, 7:31am

Kristina-very nice!!!!

I am able to play with the new glass today. I think you guys will be pleased! The rods are much more uniform than the past shipments! Thermal shock is also much more controlled.
Old 2010-10-02, 8:32am
StudioMarcy

I've been sorting my rods and putting them away. I love some of the browns and greens especially. Over in the garage, I have posted and asked if anyone has some Devardi frog green (D-123) they want to trade for, or let me buy? I make one special bead from it and unfortunately, it wasn't in this last offering. I have lots of colors or would trade other things as well.
thanks,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-02, 8:34am
StudioMarcy

Sorry Kristina, I meant to tell you how cute your pieces are!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-02, 8:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you! We are a great community! So glad we share our progress with each other! Post pics everyone!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi