Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-12, 4:41pm

Default Raku

Do you all think that all Raku works the same? I have seen some that is brownish in color, and some that is more of a greenish color. Do you feel one works better than the other as far as getting the stronger colors?
Old 2005-11-12, 4:54pm
koregon

lots of variables make raku do its thing, I have some raku from many different sources, in many sizes and variations. I found that so many things can make it pop and work...core color...the pressure that the propane is set on...we have ours split between two torches...sometimes if my hubby isn't torching I might get different color than when both torches are running. Oxygen source...my sister in law said she doesn't get near the color on bottled oxy...oxy concentrators work the best it seems...heck, I think weather can even be a variable...or maybe alltitude.

size of bead can make a difference...how hot you take it..

you have to play and pay attention when you see it pop, remember what you were doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-12, 5:02pm

Thanks Kaye. Today at our ISLAGA meeting some were saying the colors popped best with oxy and not the concentrator. I too have raku of all sizes and colors. The best I had was the reddish brown color and I can't find more of the same.

Tobi
Old 2005-11-12, 5:06pm
koregon

hmmmmmm well my sister in law, addicted2beads...have both set ups...they have torches for boro with oxygen bottled and then she has some minor's set up with concentrators ...and she said she can't get decent color with the oxy bottle set up at all.

I dont use bottled oxy, only concentrators and I have great luck with raku.

I live sea level, not sure if that makes a difference...

all I know, is any that I have bought from any source works well for me.

Old 2005-11-12, 5:29pm

Kaye,
From what I have seen of your beads, and I look at them alot, you just have that magic touch with glass and fire!

Tobi
Old 2005-11-14, 6:04pm
It's time to sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye

I live sea level, not sure if that makes a difference...

Old 2005-11-15, 10:01pm
Tired but joyful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye
lots of variables make raku do its thing, I have some raku from many different sources, in many sizes and variations. I found that so many things can make it pop and work...core color...the pressure that the propane is set on...we have ours split between two torches...sometimes if my hubby isn't torching I might get different color than when both torches are running. Oxygen source...my sister in law said she doesn't get near the color on bottled oxy...oxy concentrators work the best it seems...heck, I think weather can even be a variable...or maybe alltitude.

size of bead can make a difference...how hot you take it..

you have to play and pay attention when you see it pop, remember what you were doing.
What are your settings? I have an oxycon, too. And a minor, high altitude.
Thanks
Annie