No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-09, 2:03pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Mandrel problems...

Has anyone else had problems getting their mandrels from Mike at Aura Visual Concepts? The mandrels I received from him were bent and he keeps giving me excuse after excuse after excuse on why I haven't received my replacement mandrels that I paid for back on JULY 16th! He won't even answer my emails OR call me back. I have a bad feeling that I just "gave" him money for nothing.

Needless to say, I won't ever be doing business with him again. He told me he "gives a damn" about his customers... well, apparently not. Buyer beware.

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-09, 2:09pm
Tweedle Dumb

I think that is pretty much standard operating for Aura. There are several threads here about that company... if I'm thinking of the same one.

Search Aura lens here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-09-09, 2:30pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Wow! Just read that 3 page thread from last year. They really are a piece of work huh?! How are they still in business?

Jack

Old 2010-09-09, 2:30pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

I just ordered mandrels from him 14 days ago and have not heard anything about when to expect them. Not happy.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2010-09-09, 2:31pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Don't hold your breath Cherine.

Jack

Old 2010-09-09, 2:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

I've had good personal experience with Aura Lens. When one of the lenses in my reader glasses fell out and chipped, they immediately replaced the glasses. I also received an order of mandrels that I placed a couple of months ago in a reasonable amount of time and the mandrels seem to be fine. I know that others have had problems though.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-09, 2:55pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I had two excellent phone calls with him and he is mailing me some samples to try before ordering. Good experience so far

Old 2010-09-09, 3:01pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Seems a few of you have been lucky.

Jack

Old 2010-09-09, 4:02pm
one day at a time

If I were all of you I would save myself the trouble and make my own. I never have to worry about paying $$ for bent mandrels. I think I get about 164 from a pound of 1/16" for about $13.00. Something like that, or maybe it's 128...whatever. It's over 100 and something, lol! I cut mine to about 8 1/4" long, so I get four from each 36" piece after I clip the stamped ends off.

I'm very careful when cutting them with my fencing pliers as well as grinding down the ends. I might have at the most 4-5 bent ones out of the whole 100+ when I'm done. They are a pain to make on the day I have to sit down to make them all, but it's so worth the trouble.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-09-09 at 9:53pm.
Old 2010-09-09, 4:39pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Sounds like a good idea Lisi.

Jack

Old 2010-09-09, 5:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Auralens, from what I have seen in the past, goes from great to suck ass to great to suckass. Depends on where in what cycle you catch him.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-09-09, 6:26pm

I too make my own mandrels, it is so easy.

Old 2010-09-09, 6:35pm

I make my own too. I make both the 1/16 and the 3/32. The dremel is a wonderful tool. And I can cut them to the exact length I want too.

Old 2010-09-09, 6:38pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Which attachment do you need to cut mandrels with a dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
I make my own too. I make both the 1/16 and the 3/32. The dremel is a wonderful tool. And I can cut them to the exact length I want too.

Old 2010-09-09, 6:52pm
Angie09

I have had no problems with Mike ... as a matter of fact, I find him great to work with via email. I do know (because I have ordered some) that he has had 2 bad batches of bent mandrels and seems to be doing everything he can to remedy this. Have you tried emailing him? I really like the mandrels he sells so for me it's worth the wait and the extra money they cost. Don't blow him off yet ... I think he's most likely having vendor problems.
Old 2010-09-09, 7:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
You can use the cut off wheel.
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...Cut-Off+Wheels
Old 2010-09-09, 8:24pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Have you tried emailing him?
If you read my initial post, I answer that question. I've emailed him, called him and left a message to please call me back... which he never did. I'm tired of his excuses and bad customer service. It's not worth the hassle or waste of money. I'll go and make my own for a LOT less hassle AND money than this has been. You know, you try and spread your spending around to these folks and get NOTHING but crap in return. You just don't treat people that way if you want to succeed in life. JMHO.

Jack

Old 2010-09-10, 1:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
a bolt cutter

i just cut the standard rod length into 4 pieces - i use 316 welding rod
it has a stamp on one end, i used to cut that off but now i just make sure i dont dip that end of the mandrel

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-11, 8:40am
Crispy Critter

I cut my mandrels to size with a bolt cutter and don't worry about smoothing the ends. After a few stabs I just learned to be careful.

Old 2010-09-11, 2:39pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Looks like PayPal Fraud Prevention will be hearing from me next week on this matter. No one will email me back OR call me back on the phone. I've had enough of this crap. I just hope no one else has been duped by this place. This is a great lesson on "how to ruin your business through poor customer service". Maybe they'll write a book on it.

Jack

Old 2010-09-13, 10:23am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Now I get an email from Mike saying that a "friend" told him that my wife was writing him emails.. and that I didn't use the computer. LOL LOL

"Hi Jack (or should I say, MARY? I've heard from some of my very good friends that Jack doesn't use the computer and that you, Mary, do all the computer work)."

Now, I wonder who here on LE told him something like that? There's only a few people here who know my wife's name. Could it be another glass supplier up north that I've had a run in with before??? Could it be another LE member out who is jealous of me for some unknown reason??? (I now know who you are) This "friend" of Mike doesn't have a clue what is going on and just can't help keeping her nose out of other people's business. You need to either get a life, or "man/woman up", and instead of going behind someone's back, say something to me directly you friggin' coward.

Mike gives nothing but excuses and false truths and lets the problem run on and on and on. All he had to do was give me a refund and it would've been over. Now he's got a "friend" (stooge) helping him.
That isn't a business, it's a joke! LOL

(If I need to post this in the Bathroom, just let me know)

Last edited by J&M; 2010-09-13 at 4:48pm.
Old 2010-09-13, 10:32am
Jacqueline Parkes

I bought a bolt cutter, easy peasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
a bolt cutter

it has a stamp on one end, i used to cut that off but now i just make sure i dont dip that end of the mandrel

Old 2010-09-13, 10:49am
I speak Murrini!

Jack...I hear you on the "friend" thing. With "friends" like that, who needs enemies, right?

I don't have experience with Aura, so I suppose you could rightly say I "don't have a dog in this fight"...anyway, good luck and hope this gets resolved for you. I'd just file a PayPal dispute and let it take it's course.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-09-13 at 10:53am. Reason: TMI!!! LOL
Old 2010-09-13, 10:52am
Happiness is....

Jack,
That's the way it rolls around here sometimes. sorry your having troubles.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-09-13, 11:44am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

That's my next course of action... PayPal dispute here I come. Thanks DeAnne and K.

Jack

Old 2010-09-14, 12:46pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

If anyone else is waiting for their mandrels from this place, please let me know if/when you receive them... if you don't mind. He's blocked my email now, however, I received a confirmation that the new mandrels are to be shipped out today or tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if they are gonna be the real thing or some cheap-arse pieces of steel.

Thanks for your help,
Jack

Old 2010-09-14, 4:23pm
I fart diamonds

You shoulda just called me. Duh! I have goo-gobs of mandrels.

Old 2010-09-14, 4:48pm
Favorite color is shiny

I ordered mine from "losthelm" here on LE....great service, reasonable and will order again.

hate that you're having such a bad experience

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-09-14, 5:03pm
Cat Winx

Default 316 TIG rod vs. 308 for making mandrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
a bolt cutter

I agree with Deb.. a nice well made big pair of bolt cutters work wonders and since you have to round off the ends anyway why mess with the dremel and the extra cost of wheels that wear out and need to be replaced often?

PLUS (sorry if this is a little off topic) but.. since my background is mostly in welding and am a n00b to lampwork.. why is it that peeps use 316L stainless rod to make their mandrels?

Unless you're planning on using them as chopsticks (316 is food grade stainless) 308L costs less and, as soon as you heat the lil suckers in the flame there is no discernible difference because you've basically annealed the mandrel as soon as you start building a bead.. once heated they're not any tougher.

Just wondering if there's something I am missing that makes 316 preferable in the mandrel department?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

~Rachel

Old 2010-09-14, 5:56pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I received my samples of mandrels from him today as promised.