No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-04-03, 2:46pm
@miniuniworld

Default work surface

Hi everyone.... What kind of surface should the work bench have? Have anyone tried the stainless steel table top from Ikea? Is stainless steel a good idea?
Old 2012-04-03, 2:53pm
Loving learning

I've not seen that, just have a piece of scrap stainless for mine. The main thing I worried about was non flammable. I'm happy with what I have. I've seen others have mentioned tile, but I wanted the seamless surface personally.
Old 2012-04-03, 5:09pm
Salt Box Beads

I covered my bench with cheap sheet metal from Home Depot and taped it with foil tape.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-04-04 at 10:05pm.
Old 2012-04-03, 5:47pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I have a sheet of concrete backer board that is used behind tile...about $10-15 at HD or Lowes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-03, 5:52pm
Breaks Things

We also use the concrete backer board. Very safe and no seams, it does smell a tiny bit when hot glass drips on it, but it makes a great work surface. Our second station has a large sheet of thick aluminum and that works great too. Both were cheap to almost free from some construction friends.

The stainless works well at another studio we know, they are all hung up on "looks pretty" to it is right for them, lol. Cost them a bundle though.

Old 2012-04-03, 6:53pm
Loving learning

My piece of SS is only about 2 feet square, but it was from a scrap place, so not too pricey. I think maybe $10?
Old 2012-04-04, 3:50am
BeadsonCypress

I use a sheet of Stainless I got at Home Depot 2 x 3', but discovered I like a dark surface behind me (vision issue) so I bought a black ceramic tile squares (large one) so I can find the flame easier.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-04-04, 8:12pm
@miniuniworld

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will most likely go with a sheet of metal over the work surface, since i already have a table i can use thanks!!!
Old 2012-04-05, 8:10am
old fart

i covered my work surface with cement wall board, and then put granite square on top of that. the squares are 12 inches, inexpensive, and can be used as a marver.

Old 2012-04-05, 8:38am
Salt Box Beads

Just a little FYI for the granite squares for marvering...

that only works if you keep those squares completely clean all of the time, which never happens for me. Otherwise your beautiful bead may pick up specks of who knows what. Ask me how I know this!
Old 2012-04-05, 8:42am

I have 6x6 black tile. I like the black background. I can see much better.

Old 2012-04-05, 3:34pm
@miniuniworld

Where can i buy 6x6 black tiles? And what are they made out off? DO they sell granite tiles in Home depot?
Old 2012-04-05, 7:46pm

I used 3/8" steel sheet which I sanded to a smooth finish. It effectively makes your bench top a giant marver pad...
Old 2012-04-05, 8:48pm

I bought mine at Home Depot. They are just ceramic tile and I set them and grouted them onto my table. Again, I love the black background. My friend has a grey hardy backer board on her table and I have a heck of a time seeing my flame. Maybe that's just me though. On the black the flame really stands out. I can also put hot glass rods on it with no problem. The hardy backer leaves burn marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @miniuniworld View Post
Where can i buy 6x6 black tiles? And what are they made out off? DO they sell granite tiles in Home depot?

Old 2012-04-05, 10:38pm

I covered our rather long torch table with roof flashing (the kind used where two roofs meet). It came in 93" x 24" for $20 at home depot. I needed two. You might be able to find shorter lengths that better suit your needs.

To remove the centre crease, we walked on a board laid upon it. We clamped it down with our torch c clamps all the way around.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:35pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I used hardi board, the cement backer board, but then I started using some aluminum cake pans to corral the bits and pieces but I wanted a black background so I painted the pans with BBQ pant.
Old 2012-04-06, 6:32am

I use aluminum foil topped with some polished, grey marble cutting boards laid side-by-side. You can lay down hot glass rods directly on it!
Old 2012-04-06, 10:02am

Old road/traffic signs from the highway department of your state might be available. They are perfect because there are several sizes available.

Barbara
Old 2012-04-06, 1:40pm
beads....mmmm

I have ceramic tiles that I purchased at the ReStore. The back board is Hardiplank, left over from building the house.

::
Old 2012-04-07, 4:08am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I have the stainless steel table from Ikea and I love it. I've had it for about 5 years and it is holding up very well. Here is a pic...

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2012-04-07, 6:03am
BeadsonCypress

Use the 12 x 12 inch tile (less places for glass chips to fall in and clean. Yes, Home Depot has them, very inexpensive too....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-04-07, 8:16am
Curmudgeon Engineering

All those glass cubbies labeled....shame on you
Old 2012-04-07, 8:59am
@miniuniworld

WOW Cherine,

Did you make the storage for the glass? I am impressed at how clean your studio is!
Does the hood cover the entire work surface? How are your Mandrels standing up like that?
Old 2012-04-07, 4:44pm
@miniuniworld

Thanks Susan, gonna go to Home Depot just to look at all my options tomorrow. =)
Old 2012-04-08, 5:33am
Now part of the Dark Side

I just got a piece of 2'x4' galvanized sheet metal from Lowes, painted it with black stove paint. I use firebrick for coal/wood stoves under my torch also painted black and a couple of cement blocks for a flame stop.
Old 2012-04-08, 5:50am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

BLESS YOU for starting this thread! I didn't know ceramic tile would work, I was assuming I had to use stone. This is going to save me a lot of $$!

L-111

Old 2012-04-10, 3:41am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by @miniuniworld View Post
WOW Cherine,

Did you make the storage for the glass? I am impressed at how clean your studio is!
Does the hood cover the entire work surface? How are your Mandrels standing up like that?
I will start by saying that I took this pic after I had cleaned my bench. It doesn't look that clean now. I had the glass storage made and love it. I looked on craigslist for woodworkers and found a guy who made it for about $100. Not bad, i think. The mandrel holders, I bought from someone here on LE. I can't remember who it was cause it was so long ago. I'll let you know if I think of her name.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2012-04-10, 6:25am

I used clearance marble tiles -- $.99/sq. ft. They're heavy enough that they don't move around and the groves in between are so narrow that I don't have stuff get stuck in them.
Old 2012-04-10, 6:29am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I use large unglazed ceramic tiles laid on the table top edge to edge, no grout, not mounted. The cost about a buck each. A darker color is good, you can see the flame better. But yes stainless steel is really nice.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-04-10, 6:30am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
I used clearance marble tiles -- $.99/sq. ft. They're heavy enough that they don't move around and the groves in between are so narrow that I don't have stuff get stuck in them.
If you use marble make sure it is real marble not "cultured" marble, the cultured marble has binders and will melt when hit with hot glass, ask me how I know?

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."