No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-09-14, 2:11pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybeadmaker View Post
encase the jelly tenacles........I know you didn't mean to do this, but isn't this a perfect example of telling a secret of the author? By publically reviewing a tut we could easily let info slip that the author worked hard to discover. Just sayin'
Thank you, Harriet, but just for the record in this case I have posted how to make the tentacle cane for free somewhere on this site before so no secret was divulged.

However, you make a valid point. It would be easy to 'say too much'. I was never all that concerned about it, but lots of tutorial writers are and it could cause problems.

Yellowbird, thanks for saying that. Maybe I'm feeling a bit too sensitive today. I do appreciate your apology and gratefully accept it.

As far as refunds go- I don't come right out and say I offer them, but I do say I guarantee satisfaction so I hope that is enough for people to give me a chance.

I do have a supplies list and an equipment list and several sample pages for each tutorial. Even though you can't thumb through the whole thing down at Borders...you do kinda know what you're getting before you shell out the cash.

I agree that those things are important and tutorials shouldn't be marketed without them.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-14, 2:14pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Thank you, Harriet, but just for the record in this case I have posted how to make the tentacle cane for free somewhere on this site before so no secret was divulged.

However, you make a valid point. It would be easy to 'say too much'. I was never all that concerned about it, but lots of tutorial writers are and it could cause problems.

Yellowbird, thanks for saying that. Maybe I'm feeling a bit too sensitive today. I do appreciate your apology and gratefully accept it.

As far as refunds go- I don't come right out and say I offer them, but I do say I guarantee satisfaction so I hope that is enough for people to give me a chance.

I do have a supplies list and an equipment list and several sample pages for each tutorial. Even though you can't thumb through the whole thing down at Borders...you do kinda know what you're getting before you shell out the cash.

I agree that those things are important and tutorials shouldn't be marketed without them.

~~Mary
Sounds like you have a very professional tutorial and attitude. I like your style.

Old 2010-09-14, 2:55pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:

It's not fun to wake up one morning and get emails letting me know that a prominent lampworker has smeared one of my tutorials in the newsletter she sends out to hundreds and hundreds of my potential customers- fellow lampworkers.
Holy crap. How rude, tacky, and uncalled for!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2010-09-14, 3:32pm
Formerly FishBulb

Mary, I'm disgusted to read that someone has done this to you. How absolutely uncalled for and ridiculous. I have two of your tutorials and they are AWESOME! They are so chock-full of information that I love to just sit and read them.

I'm so sorry you had to be on the sh!t end of someone's stick. You don't deserve it -- not that anybody does, of course, but of all the people on LE you are one of the most patient, giving, talented, smart people on here. Your tutorials were a labour of love and are valuable to the lampworking community.

Ah, I'll stop now. I could bitch all day about this.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-09-14, 3:45pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks guys, but that happened quite a while ago. I can't completely say I've made peace about it, but it is old hat. And also- I never actually read it for myself. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I just never wanted to find out if it was worse than I imagined. LOL

Pat...I'm pm'ing ya so I don't derail this thread asking you about how the tentacles are going. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2010-09-14, 6:25pm
Favorite color is shiny

Maybe we should drop the word "Review" and just use the word "Feedback".
I think the authors of these fabulous tutorials just need feedback... not reviews.

Let's help them correct, magnify, sort, add pics, take away words, add words , take away pics (you see where I'm going with this right?) etc etc instead of cut them up with words.

what ya say??
*** oh. this is just my opinion

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE

Last edited by Seasoned Soul; 2010-09-14 at 7:06pm. Reason: clarify
Old 2010-09-14, 7:02pm
WildBird Beads

I should have known that someone would have been offended by my post. I tried really hard not to offend anyone, I just wanted to be helpful.
I aplogize for a few mistakes I made and have corrected them. I did state that these comments were only MY opinion and I think that most people will understand that.

WildBird
Old 2010-09-14, 7:36pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
I actually disagree. If someone is truly dissatisfied with a tutorial they got from me, I'll do a refund. I'd rather they be happy.
I agree. I refunded the person who put me in their newsletter and never got a response to that. They're teaching aquarium bead classes now. I don't fool myself into thinking I actually could have taught this person anything. They are a better beadmaker than me. But why run me down? Kinda crappy.

And that's the last time I'm ever gonna complain about it. Even to myself. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2010-09-14, 8:54pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'd be curious to know who this is, Mary, but you're probably too decent a human being to tell.

I still think that situation sucked big time.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-09-14, 9:29pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I just want you all to know, that I havent bought your tutorial, cause I havent had money/time yet! Gonna buy them all! And what ever someone says, is their opinion, and we all get different things out of tutorials. I dont always look for info, I look for inspiration. And anyone who would make a tutorial, is inspirational enough!
Just my two cents.
Pia

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2010-09-15 at 6:08am.
Old 2010-09-14, 9:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Last edited by zen-mom; 2010-10-07 at 10:50am. Reason: I've offended someone for having an opinion
Old 2010-09-15, 6:12am
Karen James

Mary, I know you have said you're moving past it but I have to say how horrible I feel that you had to deal with that.

You are one of the most generous lampworkers around. I own your Jellyfish tutorial and have learned an amazing amount from it. Things that go beyond bead making.

Whomever did that to you is petty.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-09-15, 6:15am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ok, I have to admit, that sometimes there is an element I would like to know how to do (not always just inspiration). Most of the time, I can imitate it, but I might be doing it really hard way. But I have never wanted to learn to make exactly same bead as someone. Just using someone elses technique is going to make my bead look too similar to somebody theirs, it is better if you just take that one thing out of the tutorials, and defenitely find your own way to use the techniques and make it your own
And I really want the list of things that you need. I dont have unlimited supply of glasses and supplies, and buying something you find useless, cause you dont have the material or knowledge to do it, is very dissapointing.
Old 2010-09-15, 7:35am

Quote:
I agree. I refunded the person who put me in their newsletter and never got a response to that. They're teaching aquarium bead classes now. I don't fool myself into thinking I actually could have taught this person anything. They are a better beadmaker than me. But why run me down? Kinda crappy.

And that's the last time I'm ever gonna complain about it. Even to myself. LOL

~~Mary
This person doesn't have a moral compass. And does not deserve another minute of thought from you. I think karma will be the pay back some day.
Old 2010-09-15, 7:48am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I think Pat is right! Karma will bite her @$$!
And I think I dont need as much of a review, which can be helpful, but in a community like this, is almost impossible to do so without hurting someones feelings, and we dont want that. All negative, or constructive criticism should go directly to the author, so they have a fair chance to better their product. And I would rather hear the "review" as: which one is your favorite? Which one do you recommend and why? Without revealing any secrets, just point out why this is your favorite, without saying negative about others. I know most of us would not even think about that, but theres always a rotten one who does not give a crap if they hurt someone, as long as their stinking opinion is out.
I know some people say now, that books have reviews, and movies have them... but they are not sold to the tight community of other authors and movie makers. We are dealing with fairly tight knit community here, and Id love to keep it this way.
Pia
Old 2010-09-15, 9:42am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've purchased several tutorials and love them all. There was something to be learned from each and every one of them. However, I'm careful about what I purchase most of the time. I make sure that the tutorial showing me something that I can't figure out on my own. I also will sometimes wait to see what others do with the tutorial before purchasing if I'm not sure. Lastly, I am drawn to purchase tutorials of LE members who post on this board often. When I practice the tutorials, I might copy the bead they're illustrating at first, but my goal is to come up with something totally different and take bits and pieces of what I've learned from the tutorial into my own design.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-09-15, 11:14am

Even when people say they want the brutal truth it is rarely true that they do!

If you want to have a practical way to review tutorials you need to have a standard questionnaire. Just having someone say "this tutorial sucked, this one rocked" isn't enough. Even when Wildbird explained why they didn't like certain ones it wouldn't sway me one way or the other because there wasn't any way to quantify what her opinion.

If a form was created where you used the same criteria and rated each tutorial against that standard criteria it would create more useful information.

For example: Someone could have an tutorial with amazing instructions but terrible pictures. For me that wouldn't be an issue, photographs don't help me understand better. But for Kevin the tutorial would be next to useless since he understands things better through visuals. That doesn't make the tutorial amazing or horrible, it could be both depending on the type of person.

Some basic question ideas would be like this:

Rate the following questions on a scale of 1-5 [1 being "strongly disagree" and 5 being (strongly agree)]

The price of this tutorial was fair for the information it provided.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The description of this tutorial accurately portrayed what was included in the tutorial.
1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The required material/tool list was included and accurate.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The level of skill listed to successfully complete this tutorial was accurate. (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

With my level of skill being equal to or above the level required the instructions allowed me to successfully complete the tutorial with reasonable practice.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The instructions in the tutorial were always clear and easy to follow.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The instructions in this tutorial detailed each step of the process from beginning to finishing the product.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The pictures/images used in this tutorial were of good quality.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The pictures/images were organized in a manner that helped to demonstrate the steps of the tutorial.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

The tutorial included frequently asked questions and tips on how to avoid frequently occurring errors.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

Overall I am pleased with what I gained out of this tutorial.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

I am likely to purchase future tutorials from this author.

1 2 3 4 5 N/A

Comments:

These were just questions I thought of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others you could add.

This gives buyers a chance to see more information about a tutorial and also gives tutorial authors a chance to see where they went right and where they need to improve.

Last edited by TheSilicaForge; 2010-09-15 at 11:21am.
Old 2010-09-15, 11:16am
Shelarious

I just wanted to chime in b/c I found some irony in this thread, and that is because my favorite tutorials are Moth's Jellyfish and Amy's Storming tuts. Extremely fun, very well written with great photos and directions, and I still use them. The fun factor is high up there on those two.

They matched my goals. Someone with different goals might feel differently, of course. It's like reading those comments on hotwire or expedia about hotels - some people complain about not having enough room service, when I'd rather they just throw some towels in the room and leave.

Old 2010-09-15, 11:24am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilicaForge View Post
... If a form was created where you used the same criteria and rated each tutorial against that standard criteria it would create more useful information...
I think a standard questionnaire is a good idea.

In two instances of purchasing tutorials, I ended up contacting the authors for more clarification on a point or two. Hopefully, they take that into consideration and update/change their tutorial. Up to them, though.

As for the one I was very disappointed in, I see in retrospect that a lot of the fault was mine for not being a savvy customer. Knowing what to look for when deciding whether or not to purchase a tutorial was a big learning lesson for me... but that's what life is about.

Last edited by Laura B; 2010-09-15 at 11:27am.
Old 2010-09-15, 11:53am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
I just wanted to chime in b/c I found some irony in this thread, and that is because my favorite tutorials are Moth's Jellyfish and Amy's Storming tuts. Extremely fun, very well written with great photos and directions, and I still use them. The fun factor is high up there on those two.

They matched my goals. Someone with different goals might feel differently, of course. It's like reading those comments on hotwire or expedia about hotels - some people complain about not having enough room service, when I'd rather they just throw some towels in the room and leave.
I completely agree, I am still learning so much from Mary and Amy's tuts and the room service thing too, that is SO me. Just gimme the towels thank you, I'm good.

Old 2010-09-15, 7:11pm

Fantastic idea about the questionnaire. I'd love to see this implements.

It allows for objective rather than subjective feedback and gives a really good indication of it's worth for prospective buyers.

There are two suggestions I'd like to make:

I'd be inclined to ask if the pictures were clear and easily viewed, rather than good quality. Quality (good, bad or indifferent) is a very subjective measurement - particularly for those of us who are visual learners.

The tools/material list could be split into two questions as I've had tut's where the tools list was complete, but the materials list wasn't. Discovered other material later in the text. Also had material included that wasn't used or the step was left out - still haven't worked that one out!

It would be great to see this implemented like a poll, so that there aren't pages and pages of answered questionnaires posts to wade through with each tut. I don't know if that's possible with LE? Other or comments couldn't then be included, but they could be added in a post I guess.

Marianne.
Old 2010-09-15, 8:05pm

Another idea I have about reviews is to recommend a tutorial. This means that you only add this recommendation when you are happy with the tutorial and therefore avoid to give negative critique.
The more recommendations will give an indication on how good the tutorial probably is. Sure you should put a publish date against it, so you don't think a tutorial made yesterday is bad because it does not have any recommendation.
As for getting specific feedback, as it is an e-book, the authors will have the email addresses and could set up a questionnaire and send this themselves to their customers... (that is, if they want to know this type of information).
Just another idea, although I like the standard questions as well. But maybe difficult to get an overview.
Old 2010-09-16, 5:49am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've purchased several tutorials and love them all. There was something to be learned from each and every one of them. However, I'm careful about what I purchase most of the time. I make sure that the tutorial showing me something that I can't figure out on my own. I also will sometimes wait to see what others do with the tutorial before purchasing if I'm not sure. Lastly, I am drawn to purchase tutorials of LE members who post on this board often. When I practice the tutorials, I might copy the bead they're illustrating at first, but my goal is to come up with something totally different and take bits and pieces of what I've learned from the tutorial into my own design.

Patsy
I'll ditto this. I've not been disappointed yet. I've purchased from only LE members and loved them all. I've learned something from all of them, most times more than I expected.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-09-16, 5:58am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5336 View Post
The other tut mentioned was Anouk's making silver glass sing...if it wasn't for this tut, I would never have learned or understood how to use my silver glass. This has saved me so much money and all I can say is thank you, thank you.

Kathie
www.flickr.com/godesigns
Thank you so much Kathie !!!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-09-16, 7:16am

Is Vol 2 new? Is it the one about rings and murrini? All of the links are broken.
Old 2010-09-16, 7:19am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

It is another silver glass tutorial, the one about the rings isnt out yet... if it is about rings... I am wishing for the rings... or what do I care, I would buy the murrini one too.
And she is having issues with Etsy, so all you can do to see it is to go to her sold items list and peek in there.

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2010-09-16 at 7:21am.
Old 2010-09-16, 7:31am
Gimme that silver glass!

Sorry everyone, my Etsy and I aren't friends at the moment .

Pat, it's not the new one, that has been delayed for a few weeks but it IS coming! All about rings and murrini indeed .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-09-16, 9:01am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallerygal View Post
... The tools/material list could be split into two questions as I've had tut's where the tools list was complete, but the materials list wasn't. Discovered other material later in the text. Also had material included that wasn't used or the step was left out - still haven't worked that one out!...
This can not be emphasized enough. Seriously.

Old 2010-09-16, 10:05am

I don't provide an advance materials list for my tutorials (at least I haven't so far) because I see the specific glasses and colors I use in a design as part of the proprietary information that people are paying for. But I've been careful to specify the COE and stick to designs that use either fairly popular, readily available glasses that most people already have, or that are versatile enough that people can substitute the recommended glass with a different glass if they need to. If there were any unusual or expensive glasses or equipment used in one of my tuts, I would definitely take care to mention that up front.

I haven't had any complaints so far, but I would sure hope that if anyone found omissions or problems of any kind with my tutorials that they would do me the kindness of emailing me about those issues so that I could correct them.

Old 2010-09-16, 10:08am

Talking

Marianne I like your wording for the photo question! Breaking up the material/tool question is great too, and recommending a tutorial would be cool, so that if you liked the one that is being reviewed and someone else did then you might check out the one they recommend. I'm sure that I missed other things that would be important to include!

I think it might be difficult to implement in the forum but if they could do as a poll it would be a lot easier to see.