No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-23, 6:52pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Crunch Presses

It is time for me to order a crunch press. I have never used them but I am thinking of leaning more towards a bracelet size but that could change. I may enjoy them in a pendant size too.

Which ones seem to be popular? What should I look for? I would like to order one this weekend. I do have the base for Cattwalk if needed.

Do you just create a barrel and then press, ta da?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-23, 11:29pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Yes, basically make a barrel & press. Be sure to have your mandrel in the center when you press or it will be uneven. You do need a base for the Cattwalk one. I don't usually use the base on my crunch press because I have it sitting in a different spot & just grab it. I just line it up carefully.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-24, 3:11am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I have Zoozii's Kalera long and lean and love it!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2010-10-24, 5:21am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for responding

Only one out of seventy responded though. Are these presses not very popular?

Or maybe it's me haha

Old 2010-10-24, 5:50am
state-eternal change

The crunch, or Kalera, is one of the easiest presses to use, in my opinion. What's great about it, is you don't have to fill it up all the way to have a nice looking bead, nor squish it down totally either (if you want a thicker bead). I have the Zooziis long and lean Kalera and love it. Make a barrel, make sure it's centred and have at it.

Old 2010-10-24, 6:03am
Jacqueline Parkes

I talked to a friend last night and she has a couple she is going to let me test drive before purchasing. I can't wait to see what I can do with them. I believe they are cattwalk's, not sure.

So with the zoozii kalera, do you just make your foot print as long or as short as you would like?

Old 2010-10-24, 6:08am

The crunch has open ends, but with the Kalera you have the choice of making a short bead with rounded ends, or you can fill the mould for sharper corners.

Old 2010-10-24, 8:31am
Did someone say SALE?

I really want the Kalera long and lean. I have the standard crunch from Catt, and I like it, although I need more practice to make the ends look nice.
Old 2010-10-24, 9:36am
Biscuit Lover

Even I can use the Kalera long and lean. So I recommend that one also.
Old 2010-10-24, 9:43am

I too have the long and lean and love it. I do tend to make my barrel too thick sometimes and it spills out around the sides when I squish.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-10-25, 3:50pm
Redbearmountain

I have the Kalera Long and Lean and it works the best for me. Very easy to use!
Old 2010-10-25, 8:33pm
I'm not Barbie.

I have the old Corina bead squeeze and love it. I don't use it that much anymore but I sure used to. It is still one of my favorite bracelet shapes because they lay so flat on your wrist.

Old 2010-10-25, 8:46pm

I love them all ... they used to be my press of choice (both the Cattwalk for it's variety and the kalera). Think I'll have to go back to them as they're a great shape for bracelets.

Pick one up in the garage sale and if you don't like it pass it on and try another. There's very little to lose along to way to try these out.

sadie

Old 2010-10-25, 9:09pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I have the original Cattwalk crunch, the mini crunch and the larger focal size, I believe it's a size 2 (?). The regular crunch size are my best selling beads for bracelets, people love how they feel on the wrist. My mini crunch beads sell well for bracelets and necklaces. I like the versatility of the Cattwalk #2 because it's very forgiving if you make a bead thicker or longer than you thought it would be because the size of the cavity. There is a learning curve to get the same size shape before you press so your beads can all be the same size. I just use my lentil or button press to shape before I crunch.
Old 2010-10-26, 3:51pm

I have the long and lean also it's nice as it was said up above you can make it as long or as short as you like with a simple footprint.
Will be fun to see what you come up with next....love your work
Old 2010-10-26, 6:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

Cattwalk Wide Crunch (Size 5). Very versatile, the press I use every time I torch.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-26, 6:50pm
burnin' glass just becuz

crunches are my fave press - you can make just about any shape and press it and it turns out a lovely and curved surface! i have the zoozii kalera long and lean for when i want a crisp elongated nugget shape plus three sizes of the cattwalk crunches - the smallest, the extra long and the largest. all make awesome bead shapes.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2010-10-28, 12:01am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I have the Zoozii's long and lean, and I think it is almost only one I actually use. Ive bought all my presses from the garage sale, and if they wont work for me, I can usually always get my money back passing them on. With Kalera you dont have to fill the cavity to get nice ends. It will look little more organic, but I like it more that way. Ofcourse if your design requires crisp corners, why not then. My press has closed ends, but I think lots of crunches dont. I so would like to buy one of the crunches from Europe, but the shipping has scared me away...