Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-12-08, 3:28am

Default 18" or bigger flame

Can anyone explain why the flame of my torch is going crazy?? I'll be working at the torch and then all the sudden my flame will shoot out really far (approx. 18") and then go back down. Could there be something wrong with my regulator? or could it be my torch (mini CC)?
Old 2005-12-08, 6:07am

try resetting your regulator. Open the valve all the way on it (closing the flow) then screw it back in.
Old 2005-12-08, 6:37am
Safety ALWAYS

Yeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh...how old is the regulator? On the line pressure guage, what is the maximum pressure obtainable on the guage (before the red zone).

What can happen sometimes is that if you are using a high pressure regulator (say one that has a top end of 60 PSI or greater) is that you are trying to use an extremely low pressure, far below what the regulator is designed to handle. Most regulators are only accurate in the middle 60% of their indicated range. For example, if you are using a 60 PSI regulator, it is only accurate between 12 PSI and 48 PSI. Outside of that range, especially on the low pressure side, the diaphragm does not have enough pressure on it from the setting spring to maintain an accurate pressure. This is why I've always been an advocate of using low pressure (max 30 PSI) propane/acetylene regulators. These regulators are accurate between 9 PSI and 21 PSI. The low end on these regulators are actually more accurate because the guage has better division indicators showing at least 5 PSI increments. You may still get the occasional fluctuation, but nowhere near as bad as you would on a high pressure regulator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.