Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-09-24, 8:56am

Question Different Sized HH's?

I recently got a HH froma fellow LE person. Then, I found one on eBay, adn won the auction. So I just got the eBay HH yesterday, and it is a little longer than the one I get form the LE person. Will the length of the thin pipe have any effect on my bead making?
Old 2009-09-24, 9:07am
Tweedle Dumb

It shouldn't. There was one lady on here that had a modified one that had NO neck at all. Should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-09-24, 9:10am

wow, that's weird. I've never heard of a HH coming in 2 sizes. Are you absolutely sure that both torches are "real" Hot Heads.
Old 2009-09-24, 10:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
I recently got a HH froma fellow LE person. Then, I found one on eBay, adn won the auction. So I just got the eBay HH yesterday, and it is a little longer than the one I get form the LE person. Will the length of the thin pipe have any effect on my bead making?
One more time! Not the best pics, but you get the point. the shorter on is the one I got from LE, and the other from eBay. You see the "heads" at the end where the flame comes out are the same, but the pipes connecting to the part that hooks to the tank are different.
Attached Images

Old 2009-09-24, 10:43am
I speak Murrini!

Hey Fanny...

The one you got from me is definitely a "real" Hot Head...I still have the original box!

I must say that I've never seen that little "button" thing on the knob of a "genuine" Hot Head before, but I'm gonna guess there's probably not much difference between them unless there's something going on on the inside of the torch that can't be seen from the photos - meaning that you probably won't see much if any difference between the functionality of these two.

Can I ask who the "Seller" on eBay was? There are a few you should stay away from IMHO; don't want to launch into a bash or anything, but I suspect there wouldn't be anyone who would be annoyed or shocked if I mentioned a certain Seller by the name of "FindingKing" here who's given more than one of us a difficult time!

Just wondering...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-09-24, 11:12am

Hi Again, the one you got from De is the real deal, cause she says so. Looks just like my HH. I went through my paperwork and I have Sarah's e-mal and phone number. She is the HotHead expert who you call if you have questions. Ph. 314-963-1790 email is sarah@hotheadsource.com possibly ask her to have a look at your pictures. I've never seen that button thing either, that De mentioned. Sarah is the best but sometimes it takes a bit for her to get back to you. Good luck figuring out this mystery. Now I'm curious to.
Old 2009-09-24, 11:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hey Fanny...

The one you got from me is definitely a "real" Hot Head...I still have the original box!

I must say that I've never seen that little "button" thing on the knob of a "genuine" Hot Head before, but I'm gonna guess there's probably not much difference between them unless there's something going on on the inside of the torch that can't be seen from the photos - meaning that you probably won't see much if any difference between the functionality of these two.

Can I ask who the "Seller" on eBay was? There are a few you should stay away from IMHO; don't want to launch into a bash or anything, but I suspect there wouldn't be anyone who would be annoyed or shocked if I mentioned a certain Seller by the name of "FindingKing" here who's given more than one of us a difficult time!

Just wondering...

De

Eek! I did not mean that to sound like I was doubting the HH I got from you. I meant the one oneBay didn't look like yours, so did I get jipped? The seller I bought it from is dmarrstudios....The button, is a screw.
Old 2009-09-24, 11:32am

Hi fanny, my hot head looks like the one you got from De.

Does anyone know if this is what the "old version" HH looks like? I heard they switched to a new design a few years ago...

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-09-24, 11:41am

thats why I sent Sarah's information to Fanny. I'm sure if someone would contact her she could answer the question
Old 2009-09-24, 1:24pm

When Cindy Jenkins designed the HotHead, she took an existing generic torch, and modified the jets and porting inside of the burner head to create a better fuel/air mixture.

At one point, the manufacturer (who makes both the generic torch and the HotHead) changed the design of the generic torch (probably a cost cutting change). As a result, the HotHead design changed too. This is the reason for the old style / new style designation.

The generic torch and the HotHead are still being made. AFAIK, there is nothing on the outside of a HotHead to distinguish it from the generic torch.

Regarding your torch, in addition to the longer neck (tube), the design of the base (where it screws onto the gas bottle) and the valve body are different than the HotHead. Plus, the control knob is held on by a screw, which is not the case on a HotHead.

In my opinion, it's probably not a HotHead, but rather a generic burner made by one of many different manufacturers. Sorry ...

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-10-06, 7:52am
Boro Bum

hey let me throw a wrench in the gears take a look at this little thing i found.
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...7c2129bcdc8a31
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...7c2129bcdc8a31
I just found this its not me talking LOL

Steve

Last edited by AcidFly; 2009-10-06 at 7:54am.
Old 2009-10-06, 8:25am

Hmmm. In-ter-est-ing. Thanks for posting the links. I don't feel so bad now. I am going to try working with the eBay torch today, dn see how it goes. I have more of an idea now of what my HH can do. Maybe I wll have better idea!
Old 2009-10-07, 12:50am
Naysayer

I was just going to post that, I've seen them in the plumbing department at a home supply store, $13.00! What the?
I'm going to pick one up just to see, because if so many old schoolers started on a butane/other regular torch, how could it be so different?
http://www.magtorch.com/images/Produ...0Low%20Rez.pdf
Big photo, at the store I looked at the ports and that as best I could with it in the plastic, looks the same.

Anyways, seems some old ones had the screw, there's a pic with one on the HH site. http://www.hotheadsource.com/torchinfo.html

I don't see why the shorter neck would make a difference, I've gone through a lot of them over the years and never compaired necks, I trashed most otherwise I'd check since I'm just curious.
Old 2009-10-08, 11:44am

Hi

I have two different sided HHs. One is the old style where you can unscrew the top part (my tech term) and replace the valve thingy (another tech term). The larger one case is the new style where it is as it is and please do not try and remove the top portion like I did. You know if both work, aka they melt glass sweetly then yippy if not .

Have fun
Cathy
Old 2009-10-09, 5:18am

If you've got an "old style" hothead from De, you've got the BEST--'cause the "old style" was more adjustable--that's the one that most of us WANT--the newer one isn't as adjustable (more "on/off")....Nikki hoards the older ones ...I know the knob sometimes popped off mine--you could adjust it anyway--it was just a push-on cover--maybe someone just screwed the cover on? I thought of epoxying mine down!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-12-04, 3:04pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Ravenesque - you posted above:

Big photo, at the store I looked at the ports and that as best I could with it in the plastic, looks the same.

TAKE IT OUT OF THE PLASTIC-RIP IT OPEN!! IMHO you've got the right to examine what you are buying before you buy it. If I'm not sure I always rip it open (as neatly as I can) to further examine it and make sure that it is just what I want. Your alternative is to buy it, take it home, rip it open, and if it's not what you want, return it (this alternative is a general pain in the butt and big time and gas waster). No store personnel have ever 'called me on doing this'. Then, if I do want to buy it, I buy the one that I ripped open. Oh yeah. I'm originally from New York.

Old 2009-12-18, 10:28pm
one day at a time

The one without the screw is the old "original" design, so what a lucky find.

The old one is more adjustable, and it is also the one that comes apart easily for cleaning should it ever get gunked up. There is a HH cleaning tutorial online somewhere, does anyone know what website or link that is?? My computer is being slow and stupid tonight. If you find the tutorial, this is good info to have for future use.
Old 2009-12-19, 12:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is cleaning tutorial....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

Actually many good tutorials here....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-01-13, 2:09pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Here is cleaning tutorial....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

Actually many good tutorials here....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com

Dale
Thanks Dale, that's the one I used so long ago to clean my HH. The tutorials are great!