LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-04-22, 11:39pm
Newb boro fanatic

Default 4 stud torch questions

I am seriously looking at getting a GTT Scorpion as my first "post-HH" torch, but I am now unsure as to what 'stud' configuration I should get. The 4 stud option seems like a more versatile option, and I am leaning towards that option, but I have a few questions about 4 stud setups...
So with Y-adapters on my gas supplies, does turning the outer flame on have any affect on the inner flame? Would you then need 2 regulators instead of one, so they can regulate each line coming "off" the Y-adapters independently? Or does it not matter because you are readjusting the flame anyway if you are turning the outer flame on? And can you use a foot-switch easily with a Y-adapter too?

Or is it just better to use separate cylinders for the inner and outer flames? This option sure sounds simpler lol
Old 2010-04-23, 12:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
I am seriously looking at getting a GTT Scorpion as my first "post-HH" torch, but I am now unsure as to what 'stud' configuration I should get. The 4 stud option seems like a more versatile option, and I am leaning towards that option, but I have a few questions about 4 stud setups...

So with Y-adapters on my gas supplies, does turning the outer flame on have any affect on the inner flame?
You're going to need 2 Y-adapters: one for your oxygen, and one for your gas. Your propane tank and regulator will typically have enough pressure and flow capacity that you won't see any effect when you turn on your outer flame.

If you using a single small oxygen concentrator, opening up the outer flame would reduce the available oxygen to the inner flame, and this could affect the inner flame. But, if you are on bottled oxygen, then there should be no effect.

Quote:
Would you then need 2 regulators instead of one, so they can regulate each line coming "off" the Y-adapters independently?
You most certainly can do this, and I have seen some people who are running much larger torches do it. But, it isn't necessary for a torch the size of the Scorpion.

Quote:
Or does it not matter because you are readjusting the flame anyway if you are turning the outer flame on?
Again, unless you are on a single small oxygen concentrator, on a torch the size of a Scorpion, it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
And can you use a foot-switch easily with a Y-adapter too?
When you upgrade to a foot pedal, *most* pedals are designed to act as the Y-adapter. So, you wouldn't need the Y-adapters any more.

Quote:
Or is it just better to use separate cylinders for the inner and outer flames? This option sure sounds simpler lol
Are you talking about two oxygen cylinders? Or two propane tanks? Or both? You *can* do this .... but it really is unnecessary.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-04-23, 12:23am
Newb boro fanatic

So basically then, one cylinder each of oxy and propane, with Y-adapters, and one set of regulators, is perfectly fine for a 4 stud Scorpion, and I can then upgrade to using a footswitch later easily? Very helpful, thanks!
Old 2010-04-23, 12:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
So basically then, one cylinder each of oxy and propane, with Y-adapters, and one set of regulators, is perfectly fine for a 4 stud Scorpion, and I can then upgrade to using a footswitch later easily? Very helpful, thanks!
Yup!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-04-23, 6:39am
Angie09

Again, unless you are on a single small oxygen concentrator, on a torch the size of a Scorpion, it really doesn't matter.

What is considered "small"? I'm on a 10lpm Regalia.
Old 2010-04-23, 6:40am
Angie09

Quote:
What is considered "small"? I'm on a 10lpm Regalia.
Old 2010-04-23, 7:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

I think a 10 lpm is "small" for a 4 stud torch..... Maybe add a second 10 lpm or at least a 5 lpm to accommodate oxygen need for medium to large torch...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-04-23, 9:19am
PyronamixK

Actually, on the Scorpion, 10 LPM makes a great flame. Of course, more is always better. If you would like to see what 10 LPM (Regalia) can do on the Scorpion, check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PyronamixK?feature=mhw4#p/u

click on "Scorpion on Regalia."
(or "Scorpion on Regalia - mobile video version" if you have a slow internet connection)

ETA: I'm sorry, but I have removed the videos of GTT torches from my YouTube Channel.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-06-02 at 11:17am.
Old 2010-04-23, 9:45am
Melting

This thread is very helpful. I may be (one day) adding a Scorpion to my bench so I really appreciate all the info. I have an older Bobcat right now but I am about to start working boro and expect my Bobcat to be too limiting in size.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20