Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-03, 7:37pm

Default Purples

IS there such thing as a purple that doesn't devit, other than transparent colors?
Old 2012-06-03, 8:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Lilac. Messy Lapis. Lauscha Blue Violet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-03, 8:32pm

Thank you! Adding these to my list for next order.
Old 2012-06-03, 9:02pm
Glass Addict

I love Purples... and if it can be devitrified, I've done it

Here's my go-to stock of opaque purples that always work for me: 791272 Vetrofond Violet Pastel , 591273 Effetre New Violet Pastel, 591274 Effetre Dark Violet Premium, *791952-FUN Vetrofond Dark Violet Pastel, Vetrofond Purple Plum ODD (also slightly metallic), CiM's: Poi, Grape Ape, Lapis, Plum (LOVE this one!!), Mulberry, Eggplant (love this one too!) and Crocus... #591271 Effetre Light Silver Plum is good to if you like your purple a bit darker and slightly metallic

There guys, I've added manufacturer names for ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tilegoddess; 2012-06-04 at 7:41pm.
Old 2012-06-04, 4:23pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Here is one that I love- New Violet it is a moretti color and has less of the "silvering" around the edges than the reg violet. Also try layering them my fave is new violet encased with dark lavender transparent such a great wisteria color!!- Oh and most purples do not like silver glasses unless there is a layer of clear between the two- the go all brown and manky!

Old 2012-06-04, 5:06pm
Lampworkaholic!

Messy Crocus, how could I forget that one, although it is an opal, not an opaque.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-04, 7:26pm
Dynamic Duo

OK purple people - love all the pretty names, but they mean nothing to me unless you tell me who manufactures the glass. I find the pretty names often differ by wholesaler or reseller. (much prefer moretti numbers to pretty names)

Old 2012-06-04, 7:39pm
What was I thinking?

Here's a wonderful blog post about purples by Laura Critchfield of Chestnut Ridge Designs:

http://www.chestnutridgedesigns.com/....aspx?bp_id=22

Check out Laura's other posts. They're actually more like tutorials than blog posts.

Old 2012-06-04, 8:11pm
Sheila Davis Designs

CIM Thai Orchid too, and CIM Evil Queen.

Old 2012-06-04, 8:47pm

You guys are wonderful!
Old 2012-06-05, 5:07pm
too many rods in the fire

Another vote for CIM's Crocus and Plum. Both are gorgeous and devit is really not an issue with either. I have had a few incompatibility issues with the Plum so I only use it with other CIM glasses now and that seems to have solved the problem for me.

Old 2012-06-05, 5:27pm

I have two CIM plums. One is almost pink and one is purple. I assume they are different batches. I am confused.
Old 2012-06-05, 7:22pm
too many rods in the fire

My plum is a sort of milky orchid purple. I love the look of this glass in rod form!

Old 2012-06-05, 8:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

There are a couple of Plum Uniques that are more pink than purple.

http://www.creationismessy.com/unique.aspx?id=44

Old 2012-06-05, 10:53pm

I have made color charts sorted by manufacturer and by color. They are online on my website and blog and for sale as posters.

Look here for the purples: http://www.facet-design.nl/wp/kleuren/paars/

|
Old 2012-06-06, 8:04am
Glass-aholic

Miriam you have the best color charts! I use them regularly thank you!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-06, 9:57am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Gretchen- that was a great article on the purples! Thank you for sharing your friends site!

Jaci- I agree I love those charts so great for references!

Old 2012-06-06, 9:05pm

Thanks Jaci and Michelle for the compliment.

|
Old 2012-06-19, 8:23pm

Miriam, those charts rock!
Old 2012-06-20, 4:00am
Unmedicated since '62

Edp, just undevit it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-06-20, 5:09pm

" Edp, just undevit it" How do you undevit it? Thanks
Old 2012-06-20, 8:04pm

Make it HOT again til it's molten, then let cool immediately. Don't put it back in the flame at all.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-21, 3:18pm

I had no idea! I will try that.