LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-12-31, 6:47pm
Uh Oh....

Sue - they are so awesome!! All the little touches you put into them. I might have to get my mom to make me one, unless you are planning on selling them. I'd be willing to buy one from you. They are really nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-31, 6:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Sue - they are so awesome!! All the little touches you put into them. I might have to get my mom to make me one, unless you are planning on selling them. I'd be willing to buy one from you. They are really nice.
Thank you for the compliment. I don't feel I make these well enough for people to pay money for them. I'd rather keep them as a fun project than bog myself down with the "must make for money" rut I'd get into-- if I thought I sewed well enough to sell them!

Really, they aren't hard to make.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-01-01, 12:21pm
Uh Oh....

Sue - I asked my mom to make me one. She sews really well so I showed her the pictures and she was able to figure it out without any problems. Yeah!! Mine won't have the cute little embroidered flame on it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-02, 6:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Sue - I asked my mom to make me one. She sews really well so I showed her the pictures and she was able to figure it out without any problems. Yeah!! Mine won't have the cute little embroidered flame on it though.
Excellent! Please post a picture after she's done. I would love to see pictures of what folks have come up with from my tutorial. I do hear from people who have one from time to time and they all seem to like them.

Sue
Old 2011-01-02, 8:23am
AKA Annan Designs

Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. That is a really cool project. I definitely understand not wanting to get started in making them to sell. You want things to stay fun and not like work.

Take care and thanks again,
Peg
Old 2011-01-02, 6:25pm
Uh Oh....

My mom finished up a rod holder case today. She said the instructions were easy to follow and the pictures were a great help. Thanks Sue!!

All rolled up.

The inside.

The outside.

Old 2011-01-02, 6:37pm
Hobby Junkie

I made two today. I kinda winged it. I used your concept and just kind of went with it. I tend to not use rulers or patterns when I sew. I just eyeball it. I made a case for my boro (I've been invited to a playdate this week). I used Darth Vadar fabric and flame fabric of course. I also made one in Mickey Mouse fabric for my soft glass.

Old 2011-01-02, 6:47pm
Uh Oh....

Cori - I'm like you, I would wing it but my mom is a perfectionist when it comes to sewing. She has to measure everything and made a pattern. For the front, I wanted her to sew pieces of fabric together, then cut it up and sew them back together again but she needed me to draw a pattern out. That's why it's only stripes. She is going to make me another one out of cat print fabrics. My fav.

Yours sound really cute. I think the Mickey Mouse one needs a little mouse head dangle....

Old 2011-01-02, 7:16pm

Oooooohhhhh... you are both making me so happy!

Mewkittie- please tell your Mom she did a FANTASTIC job! The only reason I use white on the inside where the pockets are is that I thought the rod colors would show up better but the fabric she used is lovely.

Cori- Pictures, lady. We need pictures!

I made 2 more this weekend and have 2 more ready to finish. I somehow wound up with the wrong size bobbin in my machine on one of them and, boy, did that mess up the stitches! I think I'm taking them both to the upcoming Maine Glass Jam and will put them in as door prizes. They aren't perfect but they are functional!

You have both made my evening.

Sue
Old 2011-01-02, 7:24pm

Huh! Funny what you find when you follow your own links! This is one I had made for Pipyr's birthday a couple of years ago. She works with boro so hers was a lot taller than the ones I make for 104. The kitty is Maine Coon Cat Samantha ("Sam" for short) and she's the TA & Mascot for Playing With Fire, my favorite studio in Rockland, Maine (as if anyone doesn't know it's my favorite studio!).

Here are the pics from my trip down memory lane:

Cat researched:

Cat tested:

And cat approved:

And Pipyr ALWAYS says:

Sue
Old 2011-01-02, 7:28pm

And I hope Rose Leslie won't mind my posting this here. You may remember she just had a fire and lost her entire studio. I felt so bad. I can't turn time back and undo her damage and loss but I could do something that I thought would let her know I cared.

Rose loves Miniature Pincers so I found an embroidery design of one for her. It was an RAOGK.... well, not so random but she seemed to be touched by the gift.

I left the rods in the carrier.... it was just a bit of a start for some new glass in her world.

Sue
Old 2011-01-02, 7:30pm
Uh Oh....

Sue - Using the white does make the glass show up better. I love the embroidery you are doing on yours. My mom's sewing machine has the ability to do embroidery but she never does any. I am grateful that she will make me things as my sewing skills are sorely lacking. Love the kitty Sam.

Yes, Cori we need pictures!!

Old 2011-01-02, 9:24pm
Hobby Junkie

Here is a pic of both cases rolled up...

Here is my Boro case...

And my 104 case...

I have a pic of the inside of that one, but I must have been drunk when I took it because it's so blurry you can't tell what it is. LOL

Old 2011-01-02, 9:34pm
Uh Oh....

Cori - Love the Mickey Mouse fabric. The Darth Vadar with the flame fabric is perfect too. Did you use batting in yours since you used quilted fabric? You did a great job "winging" it.

Old 2011-01-03, 5:13am
Hobby Junkie

No batting. I used quilted fabric so I could cut out that step. (I'm a lazy sewer. Lol)

Old 2011-01-03, 5:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
No batting. I used quilted fabric so I could cut out that step. (I'm a lazy sewer. Lol)
Not lazy! Smart! I've thought about using quilted fabric to start with but I like doing the outsides in whatever flame fabric I can find.

And really really nice rod carriers! I am honored that you both found the tutorial worthwhile.

Sue
Old 2011-01-03, 8:15am

Years ago, I made similar cases for my knitting needles for my mom. I created a smaller one for her crochet hooks.
She passed a few years ago and now I have her collection of needles and hooks together in one place.

They are a great thing to keep everything neat and tidy in the knitting\crochet basket beside my chair.

Never occurred to me to make some for glass... especially my silver glasses to protect them from scratches.

Smiles,
Darlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
For Nancy B!!!

Here is the thread where I posted a picture of the two I made for me- one for rods and one for tools. Only problem is I made them out of cotton I had on hand. The ones here are of heavier duty fabrics, which I think is smarter given the sharpness of some rods I've seen!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105400

And here is one I made for Pipyr for her birthday. She works with boro so her rods are longer....

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...birthday+pipyr

Sue

E-Bay:

Old 2011-01-04, 12:32pm
Uh Oh....

The quilted fabric is a great idea. Here's one that my mom made for me because I like cats.

Inside

Outside

Never occurred to me to make one for my knitting needles and crochet hooks. Sure beats having them all in a plastic bag.

Old 2011-03-27, 4:50am
phrit phreak

Someone made these at the Missouri Bead Retreat last year and I fell in love w/ them. She didn't know what to charge for them and someone suggested 25.00 and we all nodded...lol Now looking at this tut maybe she should've charged more? I don't know, but I bought one and I love it. I sew like a 3yr old I'm sending this to a friend who sews and beg her to make me another one
Thanks for spending the time to make the tut. these are GREAT!

Old 2012-01-01, 8:03pm
Glass my new Obsession

I may have my MIL make me one of these as I tend to be sewing challenged lol

Old 2012-01-06, 4:58am

Sue, first off I have to say thanks for sharing such a great idea. I have been travelling with glassy stuff over the past few months quite a bit, and I really REALLY could have used something like this instead of boxes and tubes and stuff that are awkward as buggery!

I made two for myself (please excuse the rough...rough sewing, its been a while) and I did some seed bead embroidery on them as a label for my 104 and boro rods (not like it would have been hard to know, but its been really hot here in Sydney this week).

Here they are both rolled up:

And the boro one unrolled (sorry too slack to go and fill with rods right now, just one green one I had been using as a measure )

Thanks again Sue, these are fabulous and really useful!

Nat

Old 2012-01-06, 5:10am

Nat!

They're great! The good thing about these is there are no read dimensions- you choose and you did great to use a rod to measure by. I love the creativity of the embroidery you did on them.

I agree that it's a great way to travel with glass. Not much for worries on breaking and it cuts down on rods rubbing against each other & getting scratches.

LE has done a lot for me. I'm glad folks are finding this tutorial of value.

Sue
Old 2016-03-22, 3:41pm

It's considered bad form to bump your own thread up but we have so many new lampworkers that I thought someone might benefit from this old tutorial.

Quite often (not always!) when we have one of our Maine Glass Jams, I make a rod carrier or two for door prizes. It's fun to see friends there and lots of them now bring their rods in their fabric rod carriers.

LE has given a lot to me over the years. This is just something I did to give back to our glassy community. Maybe some of our newbies will benefit from me bumping this thread. (And if not, deal with it! lol)

Sue