No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-10-09, 6:51pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Default My Newbie Studio!

I fell in love with glass at a workshop in June, promptly went out and got a HH torch--wanted heat like the Minor I used in the workshop so decided to jump in with both feet.

Got myself a Mega Minor and started researching this incredible forum for info on ventilation systems, etc. etc. My life partner, Bobby ( is there an abbreviation of that? LP? ) built me a bench and then patiently listened to all my rantings about fumes and safety and so on and so on and so on...Jeez is he patient!! But he helped me install the ventilation system and put the pipe through the wall for the propane and listened to me worry about tanked oxygen. I decided to go with an M-15 oxygen concentrator---again, with help from comments on this forum. For ventilation I am using a 470 cfm kitchen exhaust fan with 12" pipe! LP says it's WAY more than I need....

So here are the pictures! Let me know what you think!!

Oooooo I'm having sooooo much FUN!! (And note protective eyewear!! ) And Creation Station! See how much I learned from this site?? THANK YOU ALL!!!
Old 2008-10-09, 7:09pm

Congrats, I love your setup. I'm a newbie too (I've made a total of 2 beads) but I'm already hooked. I've been watching tutorials and reading everything I can get my hands on for years and finally I decided to look up someone in my area to talk to (Thanks Debbie P!!!) Debbie who lives close to me was VERY kind in letting me and my daughter come by last week and play. I can't wait to get started in setting up my own little corner to play in. Enjoy it and always remember to thank your LP for the support. My poor DH is still in the listening to me go on and on stage but we are getting there...
Old 2008-10-09, 8:34pm
when in doubt, add a dot

Good for you! It looks like a wonderful bright space. Happy creating, and welcome to the addiction!
Regards,
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2008-10-10, 5:14am
I wanna go back...

That looks wonderful!

I will be working on a makeup air source for our cold Canadian winter this weekend. It's no longer possible to leave the window open that I was using during the summer. I have a few ideas though - and my BF said he would help me. Biggest problem I have with that is getting him to do it my way! LOL. I did the research etc and I know what I need. He just thinks he does.

Have lots of fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-10-10, 7:30am

Congratulations....Your studio looks great. It's encouraging to see how far you have come as I too am a newbie. Looks like you have a really nice, bright view. Which could provide ideas in your creativity. I almost have what I need to set up my studio. I am half way through my class with Dolly Ahles and ready to take my next. I am really enjoying as I am sure you can atest to. It can definitely be an addiction. This is so much fun. I thank you and LE for all of help, good advice, and sharing. It's like one big happy glass bead family.

Take care and enjoy your studio. Be sure to share with us some of your beads, especially the ones that you made in your new studio.

Minor
Old 2008-10-10, 2:05pm

Wow that's looks great! You must be really happy with what you have accomplished. It look like you really put some time and effort into that ventilation system too. I'm a newbie too and am renting studio time right now. I'm envious of your set up, maybe one day.
j

Last edited by cdmaam; 2008-10-10 at 2:06pm. Reason: I can't type with my 4 year old snuggling with me.
Old 2008-10-10, 2:37pm

I am so looking forward to the day I get my work area set up. Maybe I should request it for Christmas - lol. I have everything except a kiln - just don't have a space yet. AARRGGHH!

Your work area looks very nice, and I love that you have such great natural light streaming in.
Old 2008-10-10, 2:47pm
Dichro Addict

It looks great and you look so happy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-10, 4:41pm
Creatrixie

That's awesome! I wish my newbie studio was as nice! You inspire me to hope for the future! Happy torching!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-10-10, 5:12pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw View Post
That looks wonderful!

I will be working on a makeup air source for our cold Canadian winter this weekend. It's no longer possible to leave the window open that I was using during the summer. I have a few ideas though - and my BF said he would help me. Biggest problem I have with that is getting him to do it my way! LOL. I did the research etc and I know what I need. He just thinks he does.

Have lots of fun!
Wow, does that sound familiar!!! Sounds EXACTLY like what I've been going through! But hang in there...they do see the light and come around eventually!

And I, too, need to come up with a makeup air source for when it gets too cold to leave the door or windows open. Let me know what you come up with!
Old 2008-10-10, 5:35pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Thanks so much for all your nice comments. This forum is the BEST!

The room I'm using is actually a sunroom. I bought it about a year ago (long before I'd even heard of flameworking!). It was a "test" run building built by a local surplus supply dealer. I saw it and loved it so I used some funds left to me by my Dad. I get so depressed during the winters in upstate NY when the sky is grey, grey, grey and we don't see the sun for days at a time. This building was just what I needed...light all year round. It's 12' x 16' and sits on a slab away from the house. This picture was taken just after it was delivered.

Here's a picture of how it looked last fall BEFORE I started filling it up with my crafts and stuff!! (The fireplace is electric. ) I love it so much. It has been my salvation.
Old 2008-10-11, 7:39am

What a cool little setup! I love the bright airy feeling you've got there. Torch on and keep smiling!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-10-11, 8:14am
Creatrixie

Okay, now I'm even MORE envious! Good for you! I hope you have a fabulous time Torching this winter and the dull light doesn't have any chance of getting you down.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-10-12, 2:19pm
I wanna go back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbordocj View Post
Wow, does that sound familiar!!! Sounds EXACTLY like what I've been going through! But hang in there...they do see the light and come around eventually!

And I, too, need to come up with a makeup air source for when it gets too cold to leave the door or windows open. Let me know what you come up with!
Well; you did ask so this is what I did.

I have my lampworking stuff set up in the laundry room of my basement and also use a funnel exhaust system. It works really well for me.

I've used clickable images. The photos were too big to upload here.

1) Old window above my torch. This is around the corner of the house and adding the two walls up is 11 feet from my exhaust vent. Also the prevailing winds blow my exhaust away from my new intake vent.

2) The individual pieces I bought.

3) How they fit together.

4) The window with the new intake vent installed. I will add insulation etc. over the plywood when I buy some for something else later this month.

5) Finished with the fresh air down to the level of my table and just behind the funnel for my exhaust system.

6) Closeup of the funnel and fresh air duct with the cap to close it off underneath.

I did the smoke test and it sucked out just a well as always. I've had dots get sucked up if I don't get them on the bead well enough and I didn't see any decrease in suction. Also I live an a very drafty old house so it is by no means air tight.

Home Depot here also sells duct insulation in 10 foot lengths. It is a tube of fiberglass insulation and a rubber or plastic outer layer. I'll see how much cold I get radiating from the ducting and I can always add that later if I need to when it is really cold out. I just have to remember to made sure the intake is not blocked by snow before I depend on it. I have to shovel anyway so keeping that little area clear won't make any difference.

My dryer is in the same area and I have an extra heater I use there anyway so hopefully I will find that sufficient in full winter. It gets pretty cold here for a very long time.

One other thing, Menards sells lights that are just as good as Otte lights at a fraction of the cost. I have them all over my house including my torch area. You can just see the bulb part of it sticking into the left side of photo #5. They are excellent true daylight lights and really help with SAD. I believe they are under $30 for the floor lamp (bulb included) regular price and it's either Columbus Day or Thanksgiving that they have been on sale in past years for $17something.

Last edited by agw; 2008-10-12 at 2:49pm.
Old 2008-10-12, 4:10pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Oooo, Andrea...Snow....I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to shovel around my exhaust area, which is low to the ground. When I put in an intake pipe I'll have to remember to shovel around that too! #(*#*^@%

You've given me some ideas for the replacement air. Now I just need to DO it. But this week I'm off to a workshop in flameworking at Snow Farm in Massachusetts. It's the same place where I took the first workshop but a different instructor. Can't wait!!

Thanks for the great photos and the ideas!!
Old 2008-10-12, 6:53pm
I wanna go back...

I wish I could take a workshop. None here. *sigh*

I'll have to watch and see if any are ever offered in St. Paul or Minneapolis. I have an aunt in St. Paul that I visit from time to time and I might be able to work something out to go there. That's about a 7 1/2 hour drive for me - one way. So it would have to be on a weekend. And when I could take the Monday off. *sigh*

Let me know what you end up doing!

... and have fun at your workshop!

Old 2008-10-13, 4:01pm
Your Royal Fritness

Your studio looks Wonderful! Great job on doing it up right I always get a little nervous when I click on post with your thread topic.....

Enjoy your new space!

Dawn

Old 2008-10-13, 8:22pm
Cat Mom to Three

Default Incredible Space

What a stunning space. All those windows are fantastic, and your happiness comes through loud and clear on your face and in your posts.

I'm going to print off pics of your studio as inspiration for the future.

Laurie
Old 2008-10-20, 5:26pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Once again, thanks for your wonderful comments and support.
I just got back from my weeklong flamework workshop at Snow Farm in Mass. It was wonderful. The instructor was Liliana Glenn and she was fantastic. She is so knowledgeable and such a good teacher. She emphasizes basic skills as a foundation for self expression. She empowers her students to go on and create using their own voice. And she has a great sense of humor and a wonderful way with people--very patient and supportive.

I also can't say enough about Snow Farm. It is such a wonderfully relaxed place with great food, great people, and top notch instructors for all their workshops. People come from all over--MO, CA, AK, etc. for the adult workshops in spring and fall. (I go as a participant with Elderhostel--which is also a great organization.) Really, I'm not employed by them I just love it there. This was my third workshop there www.snowfarm.org
Old 2008-10-20, 9:59pm

Wonderful place and I am so happy for you!
Jen
Old 2008-10-21, 8:50am
Logan's mommy

Wow. You are a lucky woman. That place is awesome! Very cool.

Old 2008-10-21, 10:25am

Very nice. You are so lucky I wish I had my own studio.

Debbie
Old 2008-10-21, 4:06pm

I just gotta make it to Snow Farm one of these days!!!

Old 2008-10-21, 4:55pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I just gotta make it to Snow Farm one of these days!!!
Hope you can. It's totally worth it!
Old 2008-10-30, 3:13pm

I totally COVET your sunroom and your setup! I am a newbie in Florida trying to set up a ventilation system to handle some silver and silver glass on my HH. I hope to graduate to an oxygen-propane torch when I have more experience. So far, my sister have only worked on the HH and a Carlisle Mini CC at Glass Expo last April in Las Vegas. I really, reallly wish we lived closer; I would love to have a look at your "Sanctuary" up close! Enjoy it; you deserve the best!
Leigh
Sarasota, FL
Old 2008-11-01, 5:52am
Detail G-Mama!

I am so jealous!!! To have a sunroom plus a little house out back, that would be heaven to me!!!! No wonder you look so happy! Congrats on your new spaces!!

Old 2008-11-03, 7:43pm
St.Onge Art Glass

YOUR studio looks fantastic! And your work is incredible. Your fantastic beads have such clean lines and are perfectly scrumptious ! You really give us newbie's inspiration! Wish I lived close enough to take some classes from you! And thanks for your feedback on my new studio.
Old 2008-11-03, 8:01pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
It looks great and you look so happy!!
Lenora, your beads are so beautiful! Are they soft glass? How on earth do you do them????? Fantastic!!
Old 2008-11-05, 8:08pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire View Post
Wonderful place and I am so happy for you!
Jen
Jen, you know Snow Farm? Have you taken classes there? Taught there? I wanna go back there NOW! Such great people..
Old 2008-11-05, 8:29pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Default New pics of studio and my beginning beads!

Now that you've seen the uncluttered sunroom pictures, here are some updated shots with my workbench in place (as seen at the beginning of the post). It's a bit more crowded but I still LOVE it. The photos are taken in a clockwise direction from the entrance. In the first picture you might notice my currently suspended miniature house hobby. Wonder if I'll ever have the urge to get back to it?
I love the light and views for daydreaming but am having some difficulty arranging lighting for the lampwork desk. I think I'm going to have to adjust some shades when I'm working.
And here is a picture of some of the beads I've made in my newbie studio. Nothing fantastic yet...don't look too closely! But it is sooooooo much FUN!