Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-09-28, 10:12pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Need Help, Opinions & Suggestions on How To Do This! Please!

I'm in the process of divorce, and have moved to a new smaller house, it's a townhouse, and my position is in the middle between 2 houses.

I want to set up my glass work table in the garage, the garage is done, it's got drywall, so it wont be super cold in winter time. But it will still be cold for me, cause I'm a wimp. I'm thinking of building or making some kind of partition, that will have a double duty as wheather barrier-ish. My hubbie suggest a thick curtain, but i dont think that's a good idea for near fire, right?

I'm thinking of building somekind of partition thing using wood and topped with drywall, something not permanent so I dont have to worry about tearing it down when I move from this house. I think thats not hard to make if you handy, I assume.

Anybody have been in the same situation before will you please share your solutions? I will really appreciate that. Any opinions , ideas, anything, please share, thank you all!

Here's the rough drawing of my garage and where is what. The red line is where I want to have the barrier/partition thingy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-29, 4:22pm
Gay rights R human rights

How are you planning on venting? You could hang welders tarps around you (a good distance away) and use a small space heater.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-09-29, 5:10pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I have a fan attached to my table:

I'll check out tarp and see if I like it. Thank you!

Old 2008-10-28, 7:00pm
Salt Box Beads

My "Barley Box" if you could call it that is a wire cage frame with heavy duty plastic picnic table cover you can buy by the foot at Wal-mart draped over it. I love it because I can see through it.

I hate closed in spaces so working under a wood Barley box was not acceptable. It is very close to my flame and I haven't melted it yet. It doesn't even get warm.

If you can hold your hands just a few inches from the flame then a plastic makeshift wall 3-6 feet away should be more than fine. I would be more concerned for fumes and trouble from a heat source?

Lorraine
Old 2008-11-01, 8:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
My "Barley Box" if you could call it that is a wire cage frame with heavy duty plastic picnic table cover you can buy by the foot at Wal-mart draped over it. I love it because I can see through it.

I hate closed in spaces so working under a wood Barley box was not acceptable. It is very close to my flame and I haven't melted it yet. It doesn't even get warm.

If you can hold your hands just a few inches from the flame then a plastic makeshift wall 3-6 feet away should be more than fine. I would be more concerned for fumes and trouble from a heat source?

Lorraine
I disagree.....

PLASTIC DRAPED around frame close to torch....... Do you realize the FIRE HAZARD you have created....... It could burst into flames in seconds....

I suggest you rethink this, maybe use something less flammable like rigid acrylic sheeting or heat resistant glass.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-11-01, 10:36am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you for the suggestions, guys! I will try to find the acrylic sheeting, still not sure what to do yet at this point. We are done putting insulation on the walls near the garage door and it feels warmer in the garage now.

Old 2008-11-02, 4:03pm
Salt Box Beads

Dale, RE-thinking.......

Thank-you for the comments. I appreciate it very much....I checked and it is actually heavy clear vinyl..Flammable would be my guess..

My plastic vinyl is about 24 inches from the torch flame in front of it and about 16 inches on either side, and about 22 inches over the top of it so not even close.

But flammable is flammable, so I do not need that in my studio.

I will be recovering my frame with acrylic panels or the heat resistant glass this next week. I will start shopping around tomorrow. I promise.

Thanks Dale...for watching out for us.

Lorraine