Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-20, 2:04pm
tiptrinket

Default Organizing your glass, by color, brand?

I am curious as to how some of you organize your glass.
By color, brand, transparents together, etc?
Or, if you were just organizing how would you do it? In other words, IF you were doing it again, would you do it the same way?
I am moving all of my glass into my new studio and want some ideas.
I am thinking about putting brands together, but then maybe colors.
I would like to hear what anyone wants to chime in and say!
Thank you!
Tippy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-20, 2:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have a section for each brand. Then each color has it's own tube with a label of the name of the color and code number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-20, 3:16pm
Sucks at being nice

I organize by color.

Old 2013-05-20, 3:33pm

I organize by color per PVC tube and label the rods with the code and brand. I dont have that much space so I dont have room to organize by brand.
Old 2013-05-20, 3:35pm

I'm color disabled..who wants to come help ...

Becky
Old 2013-05-20, 3:42pm
Loving learning

Rainbow, opaques one area, transparents in another, and silver glass, etc. separately. I also have my bits of opalino & alabaster separate, which I may change at some point. I do have my few CIM & Lauscha colors marked, mostly Effetre here.
White, ivory, black, & opal yellow are together.
Old 2013-05-20, 3:51pm
Glass Addict

color.... otherwise it would send my OCD tendacies into a tailspin ;p

Old 2013-05-20, 4:03pm

On the far left I have miscellaneous boro. Next I have CIM. After that I have Effetre. On the far right I have silver glass (ie: TAG, DH, Precision etc)
I have GG Glass's assorted canes in a couple of large jars.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-05-20, 4:22pm

By opaque/transparent, then color. I used to have it by brand, but I rearranged it recently. I love to arrange glass, lol!
Old 2013-05-20, 4:23pm

And - new studio? Sounds good!
Old 2013-05-20, 4:41pm
Melody of Glass

Brand, opaque/transparent, then colour. Silver glass separate. All rods labelled. The few odds and sods that are not 104 are separate in different-shaped tubing. If I were to do it again, I'd be torn between the same system and mixing all brands together and sorting by colour.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-05-20, 7:03pm
Loving learning

Oh, forgot that 96 is in another corner with my 96 sheet glass, and I don't have much so it's just in a couple of vases.
Boro is in labeled closed containers (don't have all that much) near the 104 but no way to mix it up.
Old 2013-05-20, 7:08pm
tiptrinket

Yeah, Kathy, new studio!
I need help in setting up my torch when I get hoses, an oxy con, and a tank...hint, hint!
You, Carol, Patti and Lisa could come over!
I just painted the floor this weekend, so it will be awhile yet, but I'm very anxious to get my glass set up.
Tippy

Old 2013-05-20, 7:23pm
I like to melt things

I keep my glass in sealed Rubbermaid containers where it won't get additional dust/grime on it. I need a couple more containers to really get things the way I want them, but my system is to store opaques and transparently separately, by manufacturer.

On my working shelf, I keep my staple colours and the 20-odd colours I am currently working with. My staples are clear, opal yellow, copper green, ivory, dark ivory, tuxedo, peace, intense black and mosaic green.

I find this system minimizes distraction at the torch, and keeps things from getting mixed up. My OCD is so bad I have to spell it CDO, and I need a reliable, predictable, well-organized workspace or I can't focus.

-
-
Old 2013-05-20, 7:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
By opaque/transparent, then color. I used to have it by brand, but I rearranged it recently. I love to arrange glass, lol!
Same organization system here.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-20, 7:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptrinket View Post
Yeah, Kathy, new studio!
I need help in setting up my torch when I get hoses, an oxy con, and a tank...hint, hint!
You, Carol, Patti and Lisa could come over!
I just painted the floor this weekend, so it will be awhile yet, but I'm very anxious to get my glass set up.
Tippy
Will be happy to help! You should come to the June meeting and tell us all about it.
Old 2013-05-20, 7:51pm
I fart diamonds

COE, opaque/transparent, then color. Well, it used to be by color. Lately I've just been putting it in wherever there's a spot, but still by COE. I need to clean it up, though. The color disorganization is bugging the crap out me. (Surprising, considering what a slob I am!)

Old 2013-05-20, 7:58pm
Live and Let Live

By COE, brand, opaque or transparent, then by color. Except for brands that I don't have enough of for a dedicated section, like silver glasses from DH, Striking Color etc are all in the same section.

Old 2013-05-20, 8:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

Randomly, more or less.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-05-21, 2:44am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Transparent/colors, opaque/colors, silver colors separate in a box.

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-05-21, 4:02am
Angie09

I have 33, 90, 96 and 104 and each has its own section and then sorted by color. I label every rod (yes, a real PITA) with where I purchased it, the color number, color name and the in large extra bold font the COE. Takes a little time for the labeling (I use Avery return address labels) but I never get glass of different COEs mixed up. Is this a case of OCD?
Old 2013-05-21, 7:44am

I separate by COE, then by manufacturer within each COE. I then organize by color and try to keep transparents separately from opaques. I use fencing posts from Lowes which are cut into 12" lengths and stack them in a cubed unit from Ikea.
Old 2013-05-21, 8:14am

I organize mine by Brand, then in order by Color ID# so for me this is CIM first, then Effetre, then my Double Helix separate (since I don't have too much of it for now). And soon to come Czech Glass.

I also use a label maker to label my glass, Brand/Color, Number/Color Name. I don't label all of the glass, but I make sure when I pull out a rod to use that it is labeled so I know what I am using. I usually keep several of them labeled at a time.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-21, 8:40am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I have 2 long shelves. COE 96 on bottom shelf, COE 104 on top shelf. Colors are rainbow red through purple, then neutrals left to right. Opaque near bottom of each shelf, transparents near top. It never occurred to me to organize by brand... I'm going to pretend I did not even see that.

--
--
--

Old 2013-05-21, 2:47pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
I separate by COE, then by manufacturer within each COE. I then organize by color and try to keep transparents separately from opaques. I use fencing posts from Lowes which are cut into 12" lengths and stack them in a cubed unit from Ikea.
Ha! I have exactly this setup! Fence posts in the Ikea cube unit.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-05-21, 3:27pm
da General

Three large metal flat files - 48x36x2 drawers

by COE
by Brand
- Effetre Transparent, by color
- Effetre Opaque, by color
- Vetrofond, by color
- Reichenbach 104, by color
- CiM 104, by color
- Lauscha, by color (not much of these)
- ASK, by color
- Double Helix, regular production line, alphabetically by name
- Double Helix, test batches, alphabetically by name
- Precision 104, alphabetically by name
- TAG 104, alphabetically by name
- GTG and Bella Donna, alphabetically by name

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-05-21, 5:16pm
one day at a time

I don't organize anything because I know where everything is. My memory surprises even myself. But I do have two trays of "using tonight" and "maybe". I will sometimes spend 15-30 minutes setting up before I start, which includes inspecting and dipping mandrels (yes, each one is inspected before dipping!). I plan ahead like that because I work long hours, like 6-10. I usually have a list of what I will be making for the day/night.
Old 2013-05-21, 6:25pm
sunscreen me baby

By COE and then by color. I don't care what stinkin' brand it is, lol. I do have my DH separate (so I don't mistake any of them for a regular transparent) as well as my ASK, Check, and Lauscha for compatability sake.

I do intend to keep opaque from transparent, but they get mixed up over time.

~

Old 2013-05-21, 7:24pm

I actually organize my glass by size. I have tidbits (0-3cm) and then shorts (~10cm) and then the rest I cut down to about 50cm lengths. Clear glass is kept separate and is separated by diameter. I have extremely limited space, and probably no more than 10lbs of glass total, so organizing is not really a problem. I like organizing by size because then when I go to choose a piece of glass I have all the different colors all in one spot.

Old 2013-05-21, 7:30pm
Dynamic Duo

we only use 104 so

by color families, mixing transparent and opaques together.
DH and orange, yellow, and ruby striker rods are only one individually labelled.
All filligranna rods lumped together, regardless of color.