LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-22, 3:53am

DH built me a rack using PVC fencing. Opague on the upper rack, transparent on the lower. Each section marked with color name, manufacturer, and color number. I keep all silver glasses on the far right, upper level the 'standards', lower level has the experimental/test batches. As I only work in 104, I don't have to worry about trying to label that far.

Beaded Chic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-22, 5:50am

I bought two sets of map drawers from a retired architect. Each drawer contains all 104coe, by color. A drawer of blues. One of reds. One of oranges, etc. each separate color is in a 12" piece of PVC fence post. Other coe's are in separate drawers in a mechanics cabinet. All clean all the time. And yes, labeled individually. No OCD here.
Old 2013-05-22, 6:52pm
Senior Moment

I don't have a lot of room (or the amount of glass compared to some folks here LOL) so I have 2 drawers of 104 COE glass. Bottom consists of blacks, whites, clears, browns and silver/specialty in that order left to right and the top is all other colors; yellows/oranges/reds, purples/pinks, blues/greens in the order left to right. All trans and opaques are together. If I had my druthers and the space, they would be sorted by specific color, 1 per drawer although I have no prob mixing trans and opaque.

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-22, 9:11pm

I sort by brand, and within that by color. I haven't been doing this long but have about 200 colors. It makes me crazy when I can't remember what glass I put on a bead when I get a nice result or what rod I am using, especially silver glass so I label an additional rod besides the one that comes pre labeled, then I have two rods in each cubby/12inch downspout. These are above my work station, stacked 6 high or so, and I can just look up and see the label of what I want. One comes down to work with, and one is left so that I have the cubby marked. When I use up the labeled rod, I take the labeled stub, and melt it onto a non labeled rod, that way I don't end up with shorts also! Then, and yes I have OCD, I have little labels that I cut in half horizontally and when I am just about to put a bead in the kiln or blanket I write down with my right hand what I used and stick it to the mandrel, flat so it comes off easily. Then I know after they have come out of the kiln. It has really helped me understand how all the glasses work together, and recreate the reactions. I also photograph them really quick after I slide the bead down towards the label when they have cooled before I clean them. Whew! That sounds like a lot of work! It's not really and it has really helped me.
Old 2013-05-23, 3:08pm

I sort by brand, then color. I find the most important thing I do is: I wrap every order of each color in shrink wrap, labeling the brand, color name & number along with company i purchased from with date. I have found that even ordering the same number, does not guarantee the color will be the same hue. By bundling I can usually be assured the hue will be exact from rod to rod for each color. Yes, i may have multiple bundles of a single color. I store the various colors in a wooden display case that was used in a Big Box store to sell drawer knobs and pulls. Each slot (approx. 3x7 inches and 12-15 inches deep) has the brand, color name and number. I absolutely love my set up. It's about 7.5 foot long and 6 foot tall. I am tall and find it very easy to use. It is composed of over 400 different colors. My glass is stored out in our barn, and resembles a warehouse set up. Initially I torched in the barn but have since converted a very large bathroom into a studio. It offers great ventilation, wonderful natural light as well as wall and overhead lighting. Problem is glass supplies are in the barn. I must bring my colors in each day. I keep about 2-3 days working glass supplies at hand in the studio. I hope i have described my set up so it can easily be pictured as you read this!
Old 2013-05-31, 4:01pm
tiptrinket

Thank you everyone for your info. It is neat to find out others do things! I hope to be able to post pictures soon!
Tippy

Old 2013-05-31, 5:07pm
Salt Box Beads

I have to organize it by COE. I have 33, 90, 96 and 104. I can't afford to get them mixed up.

Then within each COE I separate them into three groups, stock colors, odd lots, limited runs, or special runs whatever that company calls their odd lots and then the rare or discontinued colors along with silver laden colors and dichro.

It works for me because I can tell at a glance what I am low on when I decide to order more glass. I can also easily look for a color someone is requesting here on LE.

Every rod is labeled, ( well most of them) where it came from, the date and the # with color name. It really helps to zero in on odd lot colors.

The PVC tubes cut into different lengths and glued together are labeled and hold all of the used pieces of glass left over from torching sessions. Everything from two inches to stringers that break easily etc. This is near my workbench so I can easily grab glass or put the pieces away.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-06-02 at 9:01am.
Old 2013-06-02, 8:18am
Burning Fingers!

Transparents, filigrana, etc on the top shelf organized by colour. Opaques on the others, organized by colour, more or less. Except when I get a new colour in, and then it just goes in the closest empty place, or doubles up with another colour. On the bottom right is a cube full of Double Helix and other silver glasses.
The shelf is a lot fuller now - this was taken a few years ago when I first moved into my new studio. It was an old wooden shelf that my husband re-enforced and then bolted to the wall.
About 90% of my rods are labelled with the colour name and number.

/
/
/