Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-06, 8:35pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

Question Gold Pink...Now what

So I got me some Gold Pink just cause it sounded cool but I'm not really sure what exactly it's supposed to do or look like or what to do with it? should I pull stringer? use as a base? what? any thoughts and please post pictures so I can see what it's supposed to look like cause the cane is looking a bit like dirty lear or very very light yellow to me and I haven't done anything with it yet so it should be fun to get to play around with it.
Thank ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Joolz & Glass Beads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-10-06, 8:39pm
Administrator

moving to tips and techniques section.

Let me find pics of gold pink, it is really pretty dark pink

Old 2005-10-06, 8:41pm
Administrator

the frit on these is gold pink. I will get a better pic later

Old 2005-10-06, 8:45pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

ahhhh that is quite nice! Thanks it helps to get some sort of idea of what color I'm dealing with here so now I can think about what colors to use with it. Very helpful!
Muchos Gracias Corri!

My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-10-06, 8:47pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

another real quickie Q does gold pink reduce? and if pulled into stringer will it get that yummy metalic shiny oil slick to it or is that a different one I'm thinking of? anyone know?

My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-10-06, 8:52pm
Just me

Oops now I'm confused. Are you referring to the moretti/effetre gold pink aka rubino cane, or is it the frit?
Here's what I already wrote up about the glass rods before I saw the posts after yours.

Hi, I just bought a pound of this too because I am almost out of the old stuff. (pre struck color) You have to kiln strike this color. I haven't done this yet because I'm afraid to. I will start with just one rod to see how it goes.

You can find the directions to do so here .
Please pay special attention to post #7 which is a correction on how high to ramp your kiln up to so you don't end up with a mess like a couple others did.

If your rods are clearish then you should get a med pink color but if your rods are pinkish trans they'll strike to a dark cranberry fuschia color like the old pre struck rods were. There's a pic of what the clearish rods will strike to in the thread.

Oh, once you strike it you can use it either as a base color or stringer whatever you like. Also try melting it further back in the flame. Pinks like it cooler and can be a pain sometimes. I'm on a HH and this helps to keep it from reducing too. (icky black spots though some can reduce it to a lovely gold, Kandice Seeber has shared some info on it before.)
I hope this was what you were asking, if not ignore me. Lol.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-10-06 at 9:32pm.
Old 2005-10-06, 8:53pm
CA Queen Bitch

Those rock Corri!!!!
Star!! Do you mean Gold Pink frit or Ruby Gold rods?

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-10-06, 8:57pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

moretti Gold Pink 456 sorry should have clarified that teehee.

My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog

Old 2005-10-06, 9:30pm

Be sure to read through the entire thread!!! The first post lists an incorrect "striking" temperature which wasn't corrected until it had cost people a lot of grief (and money)!
Old 2005-10-07, 2:52am
Barney's Mom

By the way, gold pink shows best over a lighter color. I just used it over a white core and it's yummy! Solid gold pink looks like nothing...

One of the toughest things in Life is deciding when to give up and when to try harder...
Old 2005-10-07, 3:10am
Piscean Fire Goddess

Here are some of my beads using Rubino Gold Pink...

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-10-07, 3:44am

Rubino oro as a rod.
i do not even strike it before!
could You tell why you do strike?
even using my new Mini CC which is warmer than Minor, i find that i habe less trouble having it not reducing when i do not want.

natty

www.perle-et-verre.com

Last edited by natty; 2005-10-07 at 4:13am.
Old 2005-10-07, 4:42am

I do not kiln strike mine. I work this color in a cool flame. In and out of the flame. I get a wonderful deep bright pink.
Old 2005-10-07, 8:00am
Just me

I haven't kiln struck mine yet, mostly because of that thread and hearing what a mess it created for some and because my kiln runs a bit hot and I am not experienced with it enough to know where to stop ramping it up yet.

I'm glad to hear some of you say you don't kiln strike it. My torch is a HH and am going to try kiln striking a rod and just using it in the flame to see what happens. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do this, we are redoing some stuff with my set up. Once I do I'll report back what I've found out.

My question now is:

Does it take a lot of heat to strike it in the flame?

Duh
Debbie I just read your post again and you said you use a cool flame. Is a HH too cool?

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-10-07 at 8:03am.
Old 2005-10-07, 4:15pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

My last batch of Rubino was the almost clear color and I didn't bother to kiln strike it. I just work it the same as my dark batch and the color comes out the same without too much trouble.
Edie
Old 2005-10-07, 11:23pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I never kiln strike my rubino, it strikes all by itself when using it. When the beads come out of the kiln ... oh my The rubino really pops!

You will have to use this color very gently, way back at the end of your flame. It should have a dark orange glow. If your glass turns bright yellow... you have burned out all color, and there is no way to get it back in.
Rubino over white looks really pretty, but you might want to try it on copper green for some really cool effects, and if you layer it over opal yellow, you will get a lovely dark peachy pink.

Rubino does not like to soak in the kiln to long, it turns dark, so if you are working, make sure to make your pink beads last, that way they will turn out lovely. Another thing is, do not stack rubino beads on top of other beads, this color tends to stick to others ( I have this lovely pink/green huge bead with like six mandrells sticking out sitting on my desk...)
Suzanne

Old 2005-10-08, 6:23am

Default my rubino

You do not need to put the rods in the kiln......
Just use them like regular rod. They work best over white. If you encase a white rod with rubino you get a beautiful floral cane.
I also like this new batch. It is a very light batch of rubino. The beads come out nice and light. The rods are almost clear, but they strike easily. her are some beads made with it.
Old 2005-10-08, 2:05pm

I kiln stuck the last batch I got just so I wouldn't mistake it for clear grabbing something out of my bins. I'm not the most organized person and usually mark one rod out of all the ones in the bin of each color. Anyway, they came out a nice raspberry color. I did make sure to put them in the kiln so the rods weren't touching to avoid them sticking.

Old 2005-10-08, 6:43pm

I have to agree the best thing to do is encase white with the gold pink. Here's some of mine:

Old 2005-10-10, 7:06pm
crafty grrrrrrrrrl

oh that's too yummy! now I"m really excited to try it encased white with it! too cool!

My Joolz & Glass Beads

My Etsy

My Vintage Shop

My Blog