Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-09, 11:51am

Default Another Lauscha Thread...

I thought it might be fun if we started another Lauscha thread to share our tips and techniques. And discuss the glass in general. A lot of people are using it but not that many are posting or sharing. Sooooo.
Ok I'll start. The color mentioned in the other thread that was rejected by the "Club" was "white with silver".
In German it's called Stabe Kyrolith and Silber.The coe came in at 102-103. Of course I had to buy some.. All I could think of is that it's a no brainer for a fab bead. Just roll in frit and viola! It also easily fumes to an antique ivory. The tiny bit of coe that it's off just means that we probably can't encase it or that we can use it as stringer on other designs (won't know for sure until I get it!). I thought the idea was brililant. Of course because of the silver you will instantly get all kinds of other reactions.
I also got a great reaction with terra on the Mandarin Orange. Dotting Terra on left black rings. Cool.
Fuming the opaque pink even with silver foil turns it butterscotch........
Raku on Steel Blue is killer.......
And try rubino over SuperNova and encase........ Yummers.
Mix the copper green transparent with silver green frit and pull stringers..

Ok your turn...

If you have some great photos (like Kendra's) or tips please post them!
THANKS!!!

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PaulaD; 2007-07-11 at 7:34am.
Old 2007-07-09, 11:55am
On the flippity flop

Cool idea, Paula. Maybe this will cause me to try some Lauscha.

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2007-07-09, 12:25pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I thought it might be fun if we started another Lauscha thread to share our tips and techniques. And discuss the glass in general. A lot of people are using it but not that many are posting or sharing. Sooooo.
Ok I'll start. The color that was rejected by the "Club" was "white with silver".
In German it's called Stabe Kyrolith and Silber.The coe came in at 102-103. Of course I had to buy some.. All I could think of is that it's a no brainer for a fab bead. Just roll in frit and viola! It also easily fumes to an antique ivory. The tiny bit of coe that it's off just means that we probably can't encase it or that we can use it as stringer on other designs (won't know for sure until I get it!). I thought the idea was brililant. Of course because of the silver you will instantly get all kinds of other reactions.
I also got a great reaction with terra on the Mandarin Orange. Dotting Terra on left black rings. Cool.
Fuming the opaque pink even with silver foil turns it butterscotch........
Raku on Steel Blue is killer.......
And try rubino over SuperNova and encase........ Yummers.
Mix the copper green transparent with silver green frit and pull stringers..

Ok your turn...

If you have some great photos (like Kendra's) or tips please post them!
THANKS!!!

Paula
The white with silver sounds fab!

Will we be able to buy this eventually? I hope so.
A little off in the COE is not a big deal to me.
Just no encasing but to think of all the other possibilties!

Agreed, raku and steel blue is killer and I loke raku on the olive myself.

Great thread!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.

Last edited by BeadMaven; 2007-07-09 at 3:55pm.
Old 2007-07-09, 12:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, Paula! I would have loved the white with silver. It sounds like it is an instant silvered ivory in rod form.

I will have to try some of the silver glasses over the orange. I have plenty to experiment with. I have 3 pounds of the tangerine alone because I did like the color - it's a hard sell however. Maybe some terra will help!

Good idea for the Supernova! I'll have to try this before I sell it!

I typically use Lauscha as another color source so I don't really have any unusual ideas like you do. If I get something good - I'll post!

Old 2007-07-09, 12:41pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I have some of the white and silver and it doesn't do anything for me. I will give it a try with some frit, but so far I really do not like this particular color. I got some in Januari if I remember correctly.

I love raku on either olive green or steel blue. Cocoa and coppergreen/sage/turqoise or sky blue is to die for too. Fuming supernova with silver brings out the same colors as it does in Kronos ( the first batch).

the blueish beads on the right where made with supernova fumed with silver and reduced.

Old 2007-07-09, 12:58pm

I would love some pics of the Silbur Paula! You'll have it and make it available to us?
As far as Club colors go, off the top of my head,
Caramello-yummy color variations, looks great silver or gold fumed.
Nuclear Brownie-I got it to stay sort of brown by reducing it until it was black with carbon and popping it in the kiln. Killer with silver and then reduced heavily (blackened)
Mandarin-so far I've only gold fumed it. OMG. Yum.
Didn't really dig the 1st 2 colors, I thought they were too fussy.

PS-I hope we can keep this thread for tips and pics only. I hope.

Old 2007-07-09, 1:20pm

Thanks for the photos Suzanne. Gorgeous!
Carole Anne btw loves the white with silver and got tons of reactions from it. I decided to buy it after talking to her. I have another crate full of glass (including the "New" clear) and am wiring the money today so that is how close we are to having it in the U.S.
Rebecca,
Yes I will be selling it. I'll be opening an online store after the Gathering (around early to mid August.) I didn't want to start before then because of the Gathering and then a show the first weekend of August.
Lauscha has been selling like crazy at my studio but I bought tons of it! (Literally!) And so after all of the positive feedback from people here decided to go online.
Yes my idea was for a new and different thread. About all Lauscha colors. Color. Fun. Glass...

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-09, 1:32pm
yukue fumei

Cool Paula!
Is this different from the Dense White that was available for a brief time earlier this year?
WOW...can't believe all the new colors this year alone....antique ivory color sounds really nice.
There was an old batch of German White I got from Jessica too that turned an amazing ivory....I hope this is similar--that color rocked!!!

nagi

Old 2007-07-09, 1:45pm
hooked, completely!!!

we've got some stock of the white with silver - and carol anne came up with some cool options, like using rubino or mosaic green...

need to get testing methinks!!!!

once we;ve tested a bit more i'll post pics, or even better i'll bend carol annes rubber arm and get her to post pics of hers!!..

Old 2007-07-09, 2:37pm

Nagi,
I have a dense white at my studio. It's Kryolith White. Is that what you are referring to? That is a standard color when they have it in stock. Super Dense and Super Creamy.
Ohhh Glassworks. Please Do show us what you get!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-09, 2:50pm

Thanks for the info Paula.
I just got some ivory with silver on this next order so it's going to be very cool to see how it is!
Great thread....We need more positive one's with Lauscha!
Irene

Old 2007-07-09, 3:00pm
yukue fumei

WOW--another white! I think the Dense White is different from the regular white,since it was sold as different and I could only get a quarter pound....WOW...so I have regular white too--is it the Kryolith? I gotta go back and find out!
When do you all expect the silver white to get here? Couple of weeks? Sounds soooo
thanks!

nagi

Old 2007-07-09, 3:06pm

The regular white is different than the Kryolith white. The Kryolith is layer over layer over dense white pigment. It's wonderful.
I'm going to guess a month to 6 weeks until the crate gets here. It's still at the factory, had to be taken to a port, sits in a warehouse and then is loaded on a ship. Once it gets to NYC it's just a few days to get here.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-09, 3:12pm
yukue fumei

Thanks for the info Paula!!
I will have to divert my attention for 6 weeks LOL!!!

nagi

Old 2007-07-09, 3:47pm
Lauscha Lady

And here are a couple of my fav's. This is a chocker that I wear a lot. Very simple - but gorgeous lauscha colors: light red transparent (can't beat it) and fuchsia. What I wanted to show everyone, but I'm not sure if I was able to capture in the pic was heart bead on the right. I've just recently started fuming and this was my first time fuming on fuchsia. It is a gold fumed fuchsia heart. It is soooooo pretty. Fuchsia has a lot of gold in it anyway, and fuming with gold just made this bead glow and shine.

/grace

Old 2007-07-09, 3:56pm
Master Procrastinator

Love the beads Grace! Can you explain the fuming process? I've heard it discussed before, but am not too embarrassed to admit that I don't exactly know what that means .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace edwards View Post
And here are a couple of my fav's. This is a chocker that I wear a lot. Very simple - but gorgeous lauscha colors: light red transparent (can't beat it) and fuchsia. What I wanted to show everyone, but I'm not sure if I was able to capture in the pic was heart bead on the right. I've just recently started fuming and this was my first time fuming on fuchsia. It is a gold fumed fuchsia heart. It is soooooo pretty. Fuchsia has a lot of gold in it anyway, and fuming with gold just made this bead glow and shine.

/grace

Old 2007-07-09, 5:59pm
yukue fumei

WOW Grace--gorgeous beads!! I love Fuchsia!!!!

nagi

Old 2007-07-09, 6:00pm

Grace they are beautiful!!
Thanks for joining us!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-09, 6:36pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are beautiful, Grace!

Old 2007-07-09, 7:46pm
Lauscha Lady

Thanks everyone! Lea, I am very new to fuming, but was very lucky to have a workshop with Kate Fowle this past spring at Amy Johnsons studio in Toronto and one of the techniques she introduced our group to was ‘fuming’. It blew me away – I really loved that effect. Very basically - fuming is the process of transferring a precious metal ie. gold onto a bead. Good ventilation is really important if you ever try this. You start by having the gold (tiny dot of it on quartz) near the base of your reducing flame, your bead at the end of the flame, and as the metal heats up, you see like a vapor of it follow the path of the flame towards the end where your bead is. You actually see this happening – so cool!!! In the case of the fuchsia, it just worked so well.

Great idea to start this thread Paula – thx!
/grace

Old 2007-07-09, 8:33pm
mystical cat lover 56

Thank you for the new thread on LAUSCHA !
Old 2007-07-09, 9:08pm
Life is change. Love it

I love the tricolour green for a base.

Wow, huge picture, sorry!
Attached Images

Old 2007-07-09, 9:30pm
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace edwards View Post
Thanks everyone! Lea, I am very new to fuming, but was very lucky to have a workshop with Kate Fowle this past spring at Amy Johnsons studio in Toronto and one of the techniques she introduced our group to was ‘fuming’. It blew me away – I really loved that effect. Very basically - fuming is the process of transferring a precious metal ie. gold onto a bead. Good ventilation is really important if you ever try this. You start by having the gold (tiny dot of it on quartz) near the base of your reducing flame, your bead at the end of the flame, and as the metal heats up, you see like a vapor of it follow the path of the flame towards the end where your bead is. You actually see this happening – so cool!!! In the case of the fuchsia, it just worked so well.

Great idea to start this thread Paula – thx!
/grace
Kewl !

Old 2007-07-09, 10:21pm

I do have a question but I'll take it to the other thread.. so please check it.

Thanks for this thread...

Old 2007-07-10, 6:17am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Grace is that fuchsia still available or is it one of those odd lots?

Old 2007-07-10, 6:55am
Glass Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassworks View Post
we've got some stock of the white with silver - and carol anne came up with some cool options, like using rubino or mosaic green...

need to get testing methinks!!!!

once we;ve tested a bit more i'll post pics, or even better i'll bend carol annes rubber arm and get her to post pics of hers!!..

Do I need to come to Belgium to snag some Q..?
Old 2007-07-10, 7:04am
hooked, completely!!!

i've been holding them off putting them on the store until we had time to play with it - but general consensus seems to be it is great so i'll stick it up there!.. of course, we would lOVE to see you in Belgium anyway!!!

HOLY CR*P... just wrapped a few beads an stuck some rubino, nero intenso and some of the various ASK on top as decoration....

I'll wait till they cool down a bit and see if the effects hold - all I'm saying is try it!!... the high COE of this white may limit its use, but the edge effects are unexpectedly "interesting"!!!! no wonder Rene pushed us to buy some!!!

Last edited by glassworks; 2007-07-10 at 7:25am.
Old 2007-07-10, 8:14am
as in the state

I want some of the silver with white!!! It sounds awesome!

Grace, that necklace was gorgeous. Is that the fuschia you have for sale on your website?

-Amy
Old 2007-07-10, 8:53am
Lauscha Lady

Thanks! Yes it is the Fuchsia that is for sale on the site. It is an odd lot - but I do have a fair amount of it both in that tone and the lighter (which I'm going to try fuming tonight - it has the same kind of gold content ... hmmm, could be very cool)

One of my tips for the high silver content Lauscha that has come out in recent months is to wind it onto the mandrel using a 'slight' reducing flame. That's the whole tip. As soon as I do this, the reactions in the glass start happening - simple but works for me. Any one else find this?
/grace

Old 2007-07-10, 9:02am

So we have other Silver Glasses right in front of our noses and we didn't even know it? At less than $100 a lb!!
Btw, you all rock. This is going to be the BEST thread ever!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !