LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-12, 7:49am

Fine CarolAnne.....Since you brought it up....I want you to have a laptop at your workstation WITH a webcam and I want to see you work some of the ivory white silvery snowflakey beige to carmeley looking glass that you just took another 20 pounds of!!!!!!
Geesh...I love you but I wanna see you sweating behind that big torch of yours Just make sure you save me some for my order "k"?
Irene<-----a little bit honory this morning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-12, 8:56am

Carol Anne You walk on water!
Thanks everyone else for contributing to the thread.
What a great bunch of beadmakers!

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-12, 10:30am
Gay rights R human rights

Grace, are you going to get the Vanilla Ice? If not, who else in North America is going to have it. I cant wait to get back to the torch! As of August 5th, the quilt will be delivered and my obligations done with. Torch will be set up again.....Cant wait!!!!!

Leslie

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2007-07-12, 11:54am
novembersfyre everywhere

Carol Anne - thanks so much for the information!

Vanilla Ice is going to be a huge hit (you should keep that name by the way).

Is there any chance you would share some photos of it with us?

Old 2007-07-12, 1:04pm
mystical cat lover 56

I want some Vanilla Ice !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2007-07-12, 2:27pm

So just how much of this do you guys want? Maybe I should increase my order? Please pm me so as not to muck up our thread. Thanks. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-12, 4:57pm

Thank you soooo much Carol Anne for resolving this issue. I'm like you though, can't figure out why in the Hell Marcie didn't want it. Would LOVE to see some pics !!!

Paula... how much a pound/shipping etc ?? I want INFO !! hehehe

Old 2007-07-12, 5:38pm

Hi Liza. I won't have a final price until the glass gets here and I see what the shipping costs on it come to. (plus the import taxes, etc).The euro is at an all time high against the dollar so I paid top buck for it but I don't know about shipping because the last time I brought in a metric ton and this time I'm bringing in less so I think my ship price per lb will be more expensive. Clear as mud? hehe. It sure won't be $100 a lb. though. I am going to guess that it will be here in 4 to 6 weeks. I'm dieing to get my paws on it myself!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2007-07-12 at 5:43pm.
Old 2007-07-12, 6:11pm

After what I've been through I'll have to just wait and see how much it is.. Thanks !!!

Old 2007-07-12, 6:21pm
Lauscha Lady

OMG! I’ve been working with the new clear from Lauscha tonight – very very nice. Melts like butter, not as stiff as what I’m (we’re) so used to from Lauscha – and it just flows onto the bead. I’m going to look over the finished beads in the morning and let you all know what I think once I see them out of the kiln.
/grace

Old 2007-07-12, 6:36pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace edwards View Post
OMG! I’ve been working with the new clear from Lauscha tonight – very very nice. Melts like butter, not as stiff as what I’m (we’re) so used to from Lauscha – and it just flows onto the bead. I’m going to look over the finished beads in the morning and let you all know what I think once I see them out of the kiln.
/grace

Grace, is there any chance you are going to try some of it with silver? I'd love to know the results of that if you do!

Old 2007-07-12, 7:51pm
Life is change. Love it

Grace, I might have to order some from you. I have horrible compatibility issues with Lauscha and have been using the wonderful, but expensive R4 diamond clear.

Old 2007-07-13, 6:57am
Lauscha Lady

I was inspired by Amy Trescotts' gorgeous encased petal beads I saw in a thread yesterday, so I used 2 shades of transparent lauscha blue, aquamarine and dark purple. Played for 2 hours last nite using the new clear as the encasing layer. Without a doubt, Lauscha's tranparents are amazing - my first few petal beads were not! LOL! But the last couple... getting there. So I can't add much more about the new clear except what I have already. It is much less stiff than the one we are used to, but of the same high quality. Flows beautifully. Encases flawlessly. The factory will continue to make both - on my site the new one will be identified by the same # the factory is using - 101. Should be in next month.

One of the colors I was sure would show up in this thread is the purple - can't believe no one has posted that color yet???
/grace
ps - Mary Beth, I didn't get a chance to use any silver yet.

Old 2007-07-13, 2:02pm

Has anyone tried intense black stringers on the turquoise blue opaque?
This blue is the closest thing I've ever seen to expensive Arizona Turquoise and I was wondering about making it look like the real stone with IB striations. But haven't been able to get near my torch to test it! (Grumble!)
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-16, 7:33am
Lauscha Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanne View Post
Make no mistake, it is my favourite Lauscha colour ever. I make skulls. Lots of them. And bones. Could there be a better colour for me? Nope. I also like reactive colours - ask Grace...

xoxoxo, Carol Anne
Yes - Carol Anne loves Lauscha reactive glass and can make it do things I only wish I could, but the Vanilla Ice/Snowflake I LOVE!!! - and got results I'm really happy with. I have a couple of test rods and they have blown me away. The rod is white. A slight reducing flame causes the bead to have a wonderful warm striated effect. Either fumed or wrapped in silver foil and you get caramel, again with striations. Delicious warm changes in the glass. I have never worked with a reactive glass I like better. It is so easy.

In the pic, the beads to the left of the Vanilla rod are just wrapped onto the mandrel in a slight reducing flame (far left is pressed in a lentil mold) and the 2 beads on the right are fumed with silver. All 4 beads have been annealed.
/grace

Old 2007-07-16, 7:54am
Gay rights R human rights

Grace,
Will you have this up on your site?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2007-07-16, 8:07am
Life is change. Love it

Wow, looks like marble, lovely!

BTW, Grace, I used your hint to wind the Supernova on in a slight reducing flame, and it worked a lot better. This pic is Supernova as a base with Gaia and Nyx accents
Attached Images

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2007-07-16 at 8:10am.
Old 2007-07-16, 8:25am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace edwards View Post
Yes - Carol Anne loves Lauscha reactive glass and can make it do things I only wish I could, but the Vanilla Ice/Snowflake I LOVE!!! - and got results I'm really happy with. I have a couple of test rods and they have blown me away. The rod is white. A slight reducing flame causes the bead to have a wonderful warm striated effect. Either fumed or wrapped in silver foil and you get caramel, again with striations. Delicious warm changes in the glass. I have never worked with a reactive glass I like better. It is so easy.

In the pic, the beads to the left of the Vanilla rod are just wrapped onto the mandrel in a slight reducing flame (far left is pressed in a lentil mold) and the 2 beads on the right are fumed with silver. All 4 beads have been annealed.
/grace
Didn't I tell you it's totally wicked? I am going to the hutte this whole weekend hopefully, to torch! I have missed it so much... I can't wait to play with more of this glass... The reactions are so spectacular - and if you draw on it with clear stringer, and then bring it back into an oxygenated flame, the areas underneath the stringer will stay like this, and the areas not covered, will go back to pure white. If nobody else has a chance to try that before the weekend, I will show and tell here on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I actually bought some for myself, I like it that much.

Smiles from Lauscha,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-07-16, 8:26am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Wow, looks like marble, lovely!

BTW, Grace, I used your hint to wind the Supernova on in a slight reducing flame, and it worked a lot better. This pic is Supernova as a base with Gaia and Nyx accents
Oh Carolyn, these are so beautiful! Wow.

CA

Old 2007-07-16, 12:53pm
Lauscha Lady

Gorgeous beads Carolyn! Glad that tip worked for you. And I will have the glass Leslie, but not until after the 'Gathering'. I'll email once it's up on the site. /grace

Old 2007-07-16, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
luna, I think I have 2 or 3 extra rods of Supernova I can send to you if you'd like.
Really? Oh I'd like! I'd like!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-07-16, 4:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Really? Oh I'd like! I'd like!!
Really! I'll send you a PM when it's on it's way.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-07-16, 7:00pm

Woo-Hoo! I got some sample rods of the Vanilla Ice today and spent an hour tonight making test beads! The rods were standard size btw and they melt like butter!
This glass rocks!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-16, 8:32pm
Glass my new Obsession

Man now I wanna get my hands on this Vanilla Ice!

Old 2007-07-16, 8:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Ice Ice Baby!

Carolanne, I'm so glad you're here to give us direct info from "on-location" in Lauscha! I'm gonna need some of that Vanilla Ice after reading your description... wow!

Old 2007-07-16, 9:07pm
Life is change. Love it

Me too. Grace, don't let Carolanne buy it all!

Old 2007-07-17, 1:37am

I just can't wait to see what COM missed out on. Paula where is that pic???? LOL

Old 2007-07-17, 4:56am

I'll pick up my beads tonight after work and see how they came out!
The glass is also not brittle or shocky at all as you might think it would be.
It was a joy to work with!
Yep if it wasn't for Carol Anne I wouldn't have known about the glass at all~She walks on water!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-07-17, 10:17am

Paula,

You mentioned rubino over Supernova - do you have a picture of what that looks like?

Old 2007-07-17, 10:26am
hooked, completely!!!

i will try to dig our test beads out with rubino over VI... the rubino goes polished coppery/gold... literally like metallic on the surface... carol anne also has some sample beads of this effect....... pray she see's this request!!!!