Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-08, 8:32pm
Bead Maker / Instructor

Question Etching in quantity

I'm doing a series of lampwork beads that all need to be etched. Usually I use an etching cream but in this case there are over 3000 beads that need the matte finish and the cream just isn't efficient. Rather, I intend to purchase a large container of Dip n' Etch which I've used in the past with success.

My question: Is there a better way of doing this?

Thank you!

Tim
Old 2010-10-08, 9:19pm

That's probably your best bet. Just remember to stir the beads around several times. Otherwise, the surface of the beads where they touch other beads won't be etched. Good luck! ... that's a massive amount of beads to etch!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-08, 9:33pm
honorary bead lady

Tumbler?
Old 2010-10-08, 9:53pm
MacGalver

Good idea, David! Tumbling the beads sounds way more practical than chemically etching that many.....

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-08, 10:29pm

when I etch I put them on a string and separate them by a bicone cheap crystal so that they are separated and not next to each other

Old 2010-10-08, 10:39pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Yep, stick those babies in a tumbler & walk away for a few hours. I love the way they feel when they're etched in a tumbler. That's the way I etch my beads. Well, at least I DID until my tumbler broke yesterday......boo hoo

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-08, 11:21pm
Bead Maker / Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Tumbler?
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

Hmmm... What is a tumbler?
Old 2010-10-09, 5:40am

Tumbler as in Rock Tumbler. You can pick up a nice, inexpensive one at harbor freight (@$35).

I use 120/220 grit in mine. Just did my first batch about a week ago ... boro and some soft glass spacers.

Only way to go with 300 beads ... ugh ... I wouldn't want the job of stringing those babies!!

Old 2010-10-09, 6:44am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
when I etch I put them on a string and separate them by a bicone cheap crystal so that they are separated and not next to each other
That's a really great idea! You just made my etching experiences in the future a whole lot less aggravating! thanks!!!!
Old 2010-10-09, 7:51am
Bead Maker / Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post

Only way to go with 300 beads ... ugh ... I wouldn't want the job of stringing those babies!!
Actually, it's 3000 beads - 300 sounds like a walk in the park!

I'll look into that - Thank you!
Old 2010-10-09, 7:56am

I tumble etch my beads for a silky finish. First I put about a pound of cheap glass beads into the tumbler. Next, I add a teaspoon of 1600 grit silicon carbine. I add a quantity of beads with water to cover. Be sure to leave enough space in the drum to allow good movement. Then, I let it roll for about half an hour. I love the way they feel, and not acid is involved.
Joan
Old 2010-10-10, 5:05am

Tumbling obviously only works with smooth-surfaced beads.

Also - for that amount, it will probably be quicker to use chemical etching, if you are comfortable using some strong chemicals.

Pick up a large plastic pail from a nearby restaurant or cafeteria - they usually discard sturdy 5 gallon containers that held commercial quantities of sauces, salads, and jams.

You can buy muriatic acid where swimming pool supplies are sold. Dilute the acid with water, add beads. Stir CAREFULLY.

Do this on a porch or other ventilated area.

This is way more beads at a time than you can do in a tumbler.

You can find more detailed instructions on the following glass forums:

talk.craftweb.com
handmade-glass.com
warmglass.com
Old 2010-10-10, 6:32am
honorary bead lady

Muriatic, which is 28% Hydrochloric Acid, should be glass safe (it's commonly stored in glass)

To etch glass you need Hydrofluoric acid. This stuff is dangerous! ( http://www.mnpoison.org/index.asp?pageID=151 )

2-3% solution in Whink rust stain remover will etch some glass but not all (it will get the crud off turquoise) You can get a commercial rust remover from a janatorial supply that is 45%
Old 2010-10-13, 2:55am

Yes, that's right - thanks for correcting me on the Muriatic acid.
Old 2010-10-13, 5:24am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Great information!!! I didn't know you could get what you need at a pool supply store. How much water do you dilute it with?

I tumble my beads 99% of the time, but you're right about needing a smooth surface. If I have silver wire on the surface, they have to be etched with acid. I'm going to start getting my etching chemicals at the pool supply store rather than ordering etch-all

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-14, 5:31am
Joyful Adornments

I was posting about this challenge a month ago and finally found a solution that I truly feel is the best for me!! I like to have beads with matt finish to the background and the foreground left shinny! So Arrow-Springs carries a "Glass Bead Etching Crystals" product that comes in a small 2.5oz. plastic jar with a great set of instructions. You may find that the amount of crystals will do 3000 beads, but it will take a great deal of time in the small container. So.....I found a source for etching crystals at QC Supply.....they are typically used to clean dirt and grime off farmer's floors....go figure. Anyway........... You can get a 10# pail for $32.44 plus shipping. Then you can mix it in the bigger pail. Things to note....the directions from Arrow Springs are fabulous and worth the purchase of the container. This is an acid and needs to be respected as such. Not trying to worry you, but you do need to be careful. And as I understand it, a strong-grade plastic is best for storage. Hope this is helpful...I'm new to LE and just finding my way around.
Old 2010-10-14, 6:49am

there is also a product called Vari Etch that can be purchased from hisglassworks.com. It comes in powder form and you mix it with water to create a mild etching solution. The finished surface looks and feels softer than what you get with EtchAll. You can order it in different quantities so if you need a gallon of solution you order enough powder to make that gallon (I think they might even send it in a plastic container that's big enough to mix up that gallon).
Old 2010-10-14, 7:29am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Where can you get hydrofluoric acid?

I used to be able to buy an etching solution that was this at Michaels, but they do not carry it anymore.

Are any of the products mentioned above HF, or are they HCl? The HCl just is NOT as good.

--
--
--

Old 2010-10-14, 8:51am
honorary bead lady

Rose see my post above
Old 2010-10-14, 9:07am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I use a wide-mouth peanut butter plastic jar and pour my Etch-All in that. I keep my beads on the mandrel when I etch and i fit about 15-20 mandrels in my jar at the same time. That won't work for 3,000 beads but it does work for smaller amounts all at once.

Old 2010-10-14, 9:15am

Rose,
please take David seriously don't try to buy hydrofluoric acid! It's really bio hazard.

If you get a little spot of it on the skin it penatrates to your bones and it destroyes them completely. It's often that people loose their fingers, arms or legs years after having contact with hydrofluoric acid. It's very difficult to stop the destruction of human tissues when it came into your body.
I had patients in my out patient department that walked through hell for years after a hydrofuoric acid accident.

Sorry for my bad englisch, but I nearly get a heart attack hearing sombody wants to buy HA.

Kathrin
Old 2010-10-14, 9:26am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Kathrin, I understand that it is very dangerous, and I appreciate your warnings.

I have used it in the past - a very weak solution and being very careful. Actually, I didn't ... my chemist husband did.

David, I did not fully understand your post, I see now that Whink does indeed contain a weak solution of HF. I can't tell you what my confusion was...
http://www.whink.com/images/msds/Rus...r_10062008.pdf

--
--
--

Old 2010-10-15, 8:43am
Bead Maker / Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
I use a wide-mouth peanut butter plastic jar and pour my Etch-All in that. I keep my beads on the mandrel when I etch and i fit about 15-20 mandrels in my jar at the same time. That won't work for 3,000 beads but it does work for smaller amounts all at once.
I've ended up doing something similar:

1) I remove the beads from their mandrels and scrub away any extra bead release from inside the bead hole (these beads are transparent).

2) Stack the clean beads on mandrels that have one end blocked so they don't slide off.

3) Dip multiple mandrels into the Etch-All, "stirring" the solution so that the entire bead is equally etched.

I've found that with the smaller bead sizes (sizes on this order range from 6mm - 14mm) I can do about 80 - 100 beads at a time. This is working pretty well as our client tends to pickup in batches every 10 days or so.