Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-08-13, 10:20pm

Default Natural gas - pipe or hose?

I am building my new studio in a (ground level) spare bedroom. My intent is to use the safest solutioms for everything and so I have already properly dealt with exhaust, make-up air, electrical, etc. And, I am planning to use two oxy-cons for oxygen so that I eliminate the need for tanked oxygen.

My current question regards the gas supply. I am leaning toward using the NG I already have in the house instead of tanked propane as it seems simpler, cheaper and safer (since it avoids having a tanked supply).

I am fortunate that the spare bedroom I am using shares a common wall with the garage, and that the gas water heater supply line is literally on the other side of the wall. So, it would be very easy to tee off that pipe and add a second outlet and shut-off valve just inside the bedroom/studio.

Here's the question: Should I run the black pipe through the wall and over another 8' or so to where I will be torching and put the valve and connection at the end of the extended pipe, or put the valve just inside the bedroom wall and just hook up the T-type hose from there to the torch (about 8' away).

It seems to me it would be easier to just use the hose, and that it might be a bit safer because I would have very little pipe (full of gas) inside the actual bedroom (because the valve would be just past the wall) and I can bleed off the hose easily when I shut down. So, if there ever was a leak it would be more likely to be in the garage, not the bedroom.

I'd love to have an opinion from some of the experts we have on LE as evades this plan, which way makes more sense, and if either or both would be more code compliant.

Thanks so much!
Old 2011-08-14, 2:13am
Alaska Boro

It is best to check with your local city to determine which NG codes actually apply.

In general, you will find that there is a valve on both ends of the black pipe as you stated. Then a connection that uses a flexible metallic tube to the appliance which has to be under a specific length. i.e. look at a gas stove or water heater connection.

What some do for lampworking, is to run black pipe to their work station with a valve and a connection to welding "T" grade hose for the run to the torch. IMO it is best to keep the hose line short with the gas shut off valve within easy reach. Others will have additional opinions.

In many cases, the pressure is around 11 WC or about .4 PSI. Some areas have 2 PSI available but not here for residential use.
Old 2011-08-14, 8:57am
Gentleman of Leisure

Pretty much agree with Alaska.... Run black pipe as close as practical to "bench" and keep torch hose as short as practical.... Code requires "gas approved" shut off valve at end of pipe run before transition to "hose"...

You also may want to consider "fire check " at end of run in case you get flashback in gas line...

http://carlislemachine.com/industrial/firechecks.php

A couple of pics of what others have done... First pic shows installation of "fire check"...

Also gas inside hose (if not bled off) is a lot more dangerous than gas in metallic pipe when it comes to running gas lines, this is why its best to use more pipe and less hose when ever possible....

Also local building codes are FINAL arbiter on what can be done.....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-08-14 at 9:10am.
Old 2011-08-14, 10:27am

Thanks! What you both say makes good sense, I can see where it would be better to have more pipe and less hose, and also to have the shut off closer to the bench.

I'll take a run over to the city tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Do either of you know how much Carlisle sells the flame check for?
Old 2011-08-14, 7:52pm
grama punky - class junky

helpful info. thanks!

Old 2011-08-15, 10:48am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I, personally, would put one valve in the garage just after the 'T' and a second one as Dale said at the termination of the iron pipe. While I did not, I suggest you locate the valves where they are more accessible than where I put mine. LOL