No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-08-31, 2:47pm

Default Ventilation expansion options?

Hi,

I have a studio setup that works great for one person. Sometimes, torching friends visit. Sometimes, I want to use a different torch for a different purpose but it isn't set up. I want to fix that...

So, here is a picture of my current setup in this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=12 (third and Fifth pics) That is a 640 cfm elicent inline fan mounted atop the hood. As I see it, I have several options:

1). Turn the vent hood 90 degrees and mount it so it is coming off the wall (or hanging from the ceiling) and over the torch area then reconfigure the two new torch stations beneath it. Would 640 cfm be adequate for this redesigned hood?

2). Add another duct and cut it into the side of the vent hood so that it will vent out the existing hole (I really don't want a second hole cut in the building).

3). Add another fan to option 2 above. **i am not certain this is necessary nor am i positive it will even work. My major concern would be throwing fumes from additional ducting into the hood and having it back out in the face of the other torching station. If it is an option, i wonder if this kind of fan will work: http://www.canadianwholesalehydropon...ts=1&catpage=2. (see bottom pic - I would get the 10" option of the Suncourt inline fan rated >600 cfm)

4) Alternatively, could I get this same inline booster fan and put a Y duct where my vent system exits the building (I.e. Above the existing online fan).

5). Close up the face of my existing hood and insert two flexible ducts into the new panel face, one per station, with the fumes exiting directly into the modified vent hood.

Any comments about how I am best to tackle this or other even better suggestions? Please?

Thanks in advance,

Typos are result of iPad. iSurrender.

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2011-08-31 at 2:56pm.
Old 2011-09-01, 12:38pm

I would have a second hood built. With a second fan. That way its not taking from your current ventilation and you can turn it off when not in use. If your current set up will suck silver foil from 2 feet away I don't see any issue with your current set up. Just add another.

ETA 600 cfm for that 10 inch fan is piss poor our inline fans here for a 8 inch valueline inline fan is 745 cfm and 129 bucks. The 10 inch HV I think is around 900cfm.

Last edited by BAGGEDCHEVYS; 2011-09-01 at 12:49pm.
Old 2011-09-01, 12:45pm

That option was considered but this hood cost over $600 plus another $300 for the fan. I was looking for a cheaper solution. Thus, I was hoping to use what I have and adapt it. I know the venting is adequate for one - not sure about two.
Old 2011-09-01, 12:52pm

That hood shouldn't have cost 600 and that fan shouldn't have been 300. Local sheetmetal guy here built me a similar hood out of stainless for 150 bucks. And the fan was 129plus some ducting
Old 2011-09-01, 12:59pm

I live in Canada. That's what it cost me, installed. That was discounted, as a matter of fact as a friend did it. Sux to be me. I ordered the fan from a hydroponics store out west. Cost a fortune to ship the sucker too. Even the lesser vortex fans I linked to can't be had for $129 here. Maybe I need to just go for a cross the border trek...
Old 2011-09-01, 1:00pm

Just an fyi. When having things like this built go t your local metal supply company and search their rems for sheet metal. I get stainless sheet and metal in general from the rem dept and it cost me a 10th. Of what it would as "new uncut" plus not to be an ass but send a man in to do this they will price gouge women every time. You can design the hood yourself. Have the metal cut to your dimentions and have a sheet metal shop weld it together for cheap. Another option is aluminum or standard cold rolled steel then poweder coated.
Old 2011-09-01, 1:07pm

Thanks, Chris. I did design the hood... He did the work. I was new to all this when I had it done and, quite frankly, was grateful to find someone who would do it! I blew through at least five contacts before finding someone who didn't try to talk me out of the fan I needed and give me something substandard. The HVAC guy actually chewed me out for "telling him how to do his job" when I didn't let him sell me a useless fan.

Oh, and I can't buy 10" ducting without an HVAC license. No one carries it except specialty wholesalers and they won't sell to just "anyone"! Bi think the best I can get is 6" and, on the very rare occasion, might find 8"
Old 2011-09-01, 2:00pm

Yeah....That 10" ducting is really dangerous stuff? You must have strong labor unions in canada
Old 2011-09-01, 2:18pm

Check the online hydro stores they sell up to 12 inch online in both soft and in powder coated white sections and they will ship everywhere. We use discount-hydro.com they have everything from soft flex toTs Ys electric dampers electric speed controllers for the fans and so on. Also check your local resturante supply place they have have a used cheap hood that can be re purposed. Also check your local hardware store for island or wall moun hoods. I have found some online for 300 ish and 42 inches wide.
Old 2011-09-01, 7:25pm
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenMuse View Post
Thanks, Chris. I did design the hood... He did the work. I was new to all this when I had it done and, quite frankly, was grateful to find someone who would do it! I blew through at least five contacts before finding someone who didn't try to talk me out of the fan I needed and give me something substandard. The HVAC guy actually chewed me out for "telling him how to do his job" when I didn't let him sell me a useless fan.

Oh, and I can't buy 10" ducting without an HVAC license. No one carries it except specialty wholesalers and they won't sell to just "anyone"! Bi think the best I can get is 6" and, on the very rare occasion, might find 8"
Cheryl, you don't need a sheet metal license to buy sheet metal, try contacting Don Park, they have location all over Ontario, you need to ask for 10" snap lock. You need a license to install hvac.
Old 2011-09-01, 10:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
Cheryl, you don't need a sheet metal license to buy sheet metal, try contacting Don Park, they have location all over Ontario, you need to ask for 10" snap lock. You need a license to install hvac.
Thank you! I have tried, and failed, to acquire ducting from at least a half dozen places. Clearly, they misread the memo! I will be calling them!
Old 2011-09-02, 12:02am

hoods also dont have to be built from stainless or metal for that matter
Old 2011-09-02, 8:34am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If your present hood works well, and I'm talking well not marginal, then I would go for option 1. The calculations for cfm and hood efficiency are based on hood dimensions not number of torches although the number of torches will have some effect. If the present hood works well then it should be adequate for 2 torches. No use discarding a perfectly good hood if you don't have to. Nothing to buy, just a little elbow grease.

Bagged, Metal in sizes large enough to fabricate a hood are very seldom considered 'rems' at least around here. Many of the places I used to be allowed to scavenge the rem bins and or 'trash' piles have found outlets for their materials so what I got for free now costs me $$. You are lucky to have such places in your area. I was really sad when Boeing surplus went out of business
Old 2011-09-02, 10:17am

Thank you, Cheng! That was my initial line of thinking. I don't think I need to recreate the wheel - just want to be safe.
Old 2011-09-10, 12:02pm

So the other day I was thinking about this and how much your hoods are costing to build. you might check into air cooled reflectors that are used for grow lights from a hydroponics shop. here is what they look like. they come powder coated with duct attachments already in place just remove the grow bulb socket and block one side off and hook into your ducting hang, add some possible side sheilds to help bos it in more and you are good to go. and they can be found for under 100 bucks.
https://www.newagegardens.com/images/radiant8.jpg
http://www.best-b2b.com/userimg/867/...lector-572.jpg
Old 2011-09-11, 4:54pm

I've looked into this and I think it is a more than viable solution! I had known about them sooner! Thanks, Chris!
Old 2011-09-12, 9:56am
grama punky - class junky

lots of good info here...thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.