Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-12-02, 8:03pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Default Better to vent upwards? or downwards?

Just out of curiosity...I've just always assumed, since most people use hoods, that venting up and out was the way to do it. However, I have seen other setups where people are venting down and out.

Is one better than the other? I'm wondering about this now as I will likely be changing my setup in the next year and want to think about the best way to set things up when the setup is permanent.

Cheers!

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-02, 9:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

UP is probably the "natural" way to do it...Consider this, your flame is pointed up and natural convection is up (hot air rises). Also overhead is easier to locate blowers and ancillary ducting....

Going down will tend to draw your flame down into your work if you work under the flame...Flame being bent unnaturally (downward) will tend to be erratic and probably move around... And you are probably going to have to use bigger blower and bigger duct to suck the contaminates downward... Also blower and duct work will be taking up "floor space" (along wall)... Probably the exact space you want to place your oxygen concentrator and glass storage...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal