Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-12-17, 5:45pm
Trying to Hope!

Default is my fan big enough?

I am converting a gutted travel trailer into my studio. I got a 6 inch 250 cfm duct fan from home depot and am going to run a solid 6 inch pipe duct thing to right where the torch blows out well not right out but you know what i mean then vent it out thru a window. I am on a hot head is this fan with the windows open enough for now? When I have more money later i can get a stronger one but something is better then nopthing right? My trailer is only 15 foot long its like a good sized bathroom When I get my kiln what size fan do I need for it? its an aim 94bd? Thanks ahead of time everyone. would another fan like this one 250cfm with a big duct pipe work for it the total combined would be 500cfms and since the kiln and the torch are on the same table they might help each other? well thanks again and I hope I am doing it right
Old 2006-12-17, 7:42pm
Safety ALWAYS

250 CFM is rarely enough ventilation. You need to read through the threads here on LE and AGF about ventilation. Start with the size of the hood you are going to use, then select the fan you need - never do it in reverse.

Do the ventilation correctly the first time and you won't end up wasting money trying to fix it or doing it over.

You really don't need a fan for your kiln -- a properly sized vent hood and fan will take care of any odors from the kiln.

You can't stack fans in the same vent line, they will fight each other. One fan, one vent duct. And be sure you have plenty of fresh air coming in to replace the air you exhaust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.