Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-02, 12:44pm

Default Fuel plumbing for multiple workstations

A followup to my other question on setting up multiple workstations. I will be running the propane in from outside because frankly I wouldn't have thought about not doing it. I am deathly scared of propane. At the same time, I will probably also move my acetylene tanks outside as well since I will be running the hard pipe through the wall anyway. Assuming a setup of three to four workstations, would it be better to have a hard pipe connection plumbed to each workstation for the appropriate gas, or just change to hose after passing the wall? The workstations will be on the same wall that the gas lines come through.

Thanks, Paul
Old 2007-01-02, 12:49pm
Safety ALWAYS

Paul, what I would do is make the hard wall pipe a manifold. Run the hard wall pipe the length of the workstation, and "T" off the manifold for every torch you are going to use.

I'd run three manifolds: oxygen, acetylene, and propane. Then use quick disconnects on the torches so you can quickly change the gas you use at each workstation. Propane and acetylene both use the same configuration of hoses and quick disconnects, and a short hose run should not give you a problem with contamination. It would probably be a good idea to label each fuel gas hose as to what it contains so you don't mix them up and try to use acetylene to melt glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.