Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-08, 8:03am

Question Turning Propane On/Off

I'm a newbie so forgive me if this question has been answered or so simple that I should already know the answer. I'm running a bobcat torch with propane and an oxycon. I've heeded the warnings about propane being outside and it's being piped through a black metal pipe with on/off valves both on the outer and inner walls. I'm in a 12x20 shop located away from my house by about 15 feet.

My question is simply this: After I turn off the propane at the torch, do I need to shut off both valves and the propane at the tank? Does the order matter? Is it sufficient to turn off just the inside valve, bleed the line to the torch and call it a day? Can you explain the benefit/need for the two separate on/off valves (I'm not being obstinate - I'm just new to the whole propane thing).

Mike & Dale, thanks for all the safety info you've provided here and on other forums. It's been invaluable as I've set up my studio!

Trying to be safe~
Angela
Old 2007-01-08, 8:10am
Safety ALWAYS

It's a good idea to turn off everything. It doesn't really matter the order, although I'd turn the tank off, then the regulator, the outside valve, purge the line, then the inside valve.

You can certainly just shut off the inside valve, however, that would keep pressure on the regulator, and if you are not going to be torching for a few days, it does save wear and tear on the regulator to just shut it off.

It's a good habit to get into (turning everything off in a certain order), because if you get rushed, you will remember the habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.