Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-02-09, 7:46am

Unhappy Mapp Gas: Is it hazardous to health

I am new to bead making (I started about a year ago)
I am at present using bottles of Mapp gas. I have seen on various websites that many artists using it, and yet , on the bottle itself are health warnings (by the state of California) .
I work in my kitchen, near a big open window, and yet I am still concerned. I haven't been able to find any negative info on the web, and it seems that alot of people are using it.

can anyone give me any information about this. I am moving to a new house in 6 months where i am setting up a workarea where i will be able to have an oxygen and gas tank. At the moment this is not possible, hence the Mapp for the time being
thanks
lazlocat28
Old 2007-02-09, 8:13am
Safety ALWAYS

Any flammable gas is hazardous to your health if used improperly.

Some points:

Working in your kitchen is not a good idea. This is a food preparation and eating area, not a glass fabrication area. Glass bead making and food do not mix.

Working beside an open window is not good ventilation. You need some method of capturing contaminated air and moving it outside as well as replacing the exhausted air with fresh air from outside.

You can have no more than 2 (two) one-pound bottles of MAPP (or propane) in your residence at any given time, including a garage if it is physically attached to your house.

Gas cannisters must be disposed of properly, this usually entails removal of the filling orifice on the bottle and allowing any remaining fuel gas to leak out (this should always be done outside), or calling your local waste hauler to find out the proper method of disposal of the tanks. They may tell you that they will not accept them as part of the household waste stream, that they are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of separately - if they do tell you that, ask them what the method and procedure is. Don't allow a bunch of "empty" tanks to lay around your house or garage.

This is basic safety information that is covered in a variety of threads here at LE and elsewhere, as well as many of the books and videos, and should be part of almost every beginning lampworking class taught.

For your future studio, you mention that you will have an oxygen and gas tank. Please be aware that the gas (fuel gas) tank MUST be kept outside at all times. Please read the "Propane in the house?" thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

I would also strongly encourage you to do some reading of the many ventilation threads here on LE and elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.