LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-05, 9:45pm

Lightbulb Fire code Inspection need to pass but uneasy about floor issue any thoughts?

So I'm going to need to submit a proposal to the local fire inspector in order to continue with building a new studio/ workshop space. This is my 9th studio i have built and I'm quite sure about what i need to do in order to pass most of the inspection. My propane is going to be out side in a locked wooden box with a inline quick disconnect so I can rule out any chance of propane being an issue. usually I just back off on my reg and turn the tank on but this will be a 3rd and final protection against internal propane leaks. My oxy tanks will just be two or three K tanks chained up and secure and of course also the regulator will be backed off in order to make a 2nd piece of protection besides just the main valve on the tank. This also stops from shocking my reg. by turning on a tank with a full 2500 psi. The Inspector also wants to know if im using any kilns and if so what size and where they will be located. The good news is i'm sure he thinks im setting up a off hand natural gas big scale hot shop. my main concern here is that Rent in my area in incredibly expensive even when you can find a place to rent from which is a very hard thing to do. It turns out that the previous tenants installed a carpet by gluing it down with an incredible amount of glue and the carpet is only a few months old. I asked my landlord about tearing it out and he really really does not want to do so. I'm not going to work over carpet obviously and have decided that the two things i can do is either install 1/2 inch wonderboard with pyro tape connecting the 3 x 5 inch pieces or lay down a material i found online called "pyro blanket"... I'm concerned that the wonder board will crumble and possibly make toxic dust or has toxic particles within its fiber glass netting and that also the pyro blanket could release toxic fumes if a big piece was to fall on it from coming off the punty. I work from incredibly small perfume bottles and pendants/beads to very large marbles, sculpture and wine goblets. eventually im sure i will drop something on the ground. I'm torn on what to propose to this fire inspector as to what my flooring will be. Tearing the carpet out will not be an option and if i do not get a ok from this inspector i won't be able to build this shop and miss out on the only space i have found in a year. has anyone had a situation like this or belong to a fire department/inspection agency? any help would be appreciated.

here are the links to the two materials i have found...

wonderboard...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=1535

pyro blanket

http://www.adlinsulflex.com/fire-bla...blanket-96-oz/
Old 2007-12-05, 10:29pm

The pyro blanket looks good. I wonder if a welding blanket would be acceptable. (Just sounds like it would be less expensive, but it also sounds like it would be less secure to the floor than the Pyro Blanket.)

You could put ceramic tile on the wonderboard, but once again adds to the cost.
Old 2007-12-06, 5:49am
old fart

IMHO, your only real option is to remove the carpet, clean off all of the glue to get to a cement floor. if the floor is not cement, you need to cover the wood floor with ceramic tile. just because your propane tank is outside inside a box, does not mean that a safety inspector won't have issues with it. is the propane entering the studio with a pressure less than 20 psi? is it coming in with metal tubing? what kind of ventilation do you have? make up air? IMHO, if you can get natural gas, you should use it and loose the propane!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by laserglass; 2007-12-06 at 5:56am.