Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-17, 4:32pm

Default renaissance wax

Let's talk about renaissance wax.Does anyone use this for a protective coating on their etched beads?
If so do you like it, find it useful? Any comments are welcome.

Karen Sagar Art Beads

ripzz
Old 2014-06-18, 4:59am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...enaissance+wax

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-06-18, 7:04am

Thanks Vivian, great thread.

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-18, 7:15am
Queen of the milo field

Yeah, that's why I don't use chemical etching stuff. Never have. I bought a tumbler.

BUT somebody please answer the OP question about renaissance wax?

I've just been using a light wax or something like a lip balm to reduce the powdery look from tumbled beads. Is this stuff better/lasts longer?

dj
Old 2014-06-18, 9:04am
Wonder-wench

I have only used Renaissance wax on metal stuff. For etched beads I usually rub a tiny amount of beeswax on just to lose the "powdery" look and achieve a uniform satin finish.

Old 2014-06-18, 9:11am
Loving learning

Beeswax is so hard, I haven't really figured out how to use it for anything but running on a saw blade. I'd love to have somebody show me how they do it.
Old 2014-06-18, 9:15am
Wonder-wench

I just rub my fingers on the beeswax until it gets warm enough to coat the skin on my fingertip, then rub the bead. It doesn't take but a tiny, itty, bitty bit to achieve a nice satin finish. Mine could also be softer as I originally got it from a knitting store, it looks like a deodorant roll up and has a bit of lavender in it as well. I think it's supposed to be for very dry skin.

Old 2014-06-18, 9:25am
Loving learning

Sounds nice. We do have a yarn store on my way in to town, maybe I'll stop & see if they have any of that type, thanks!
Old 2014-06-18, 10:47am
Gay rights R human rights

or melt beeswax with some olive oil. then let it set. That's what I use on my etched beads.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-06-18, 1:43pm

Interesting about the beeswax. Do you find it yellows or that lint sticks to it at all?

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-18, 5:43pm

I use renaissance wax on sandblasted beads, but actually prefer Armor All. The wax doesn't seem to take the etch away as thoroughly as I would like. I've been trying some new stuff I bought from Ruth Dobbins of Professional Glass Consultants. It works great and is permanent, but it is too expensive for beads IMHO. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2014-06-18, 6:02pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
I use renaissance wax on sandblasted beads, but actually prefer Armor All. The wax doesn't seem to take the etch away as thoroughly as I would like. I've been trying some new stuff I bought from Ruth Dobbins of Professional Glass Consultants. It works great and is permanent, but it is too expensive for beads IMHO. Jeri
Jeri, do you mind asking, if it is the "Glass Protect" product line?
http://www.etchmaster.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=ES_GS

Do you need the whole kit or is it only one of the items?
Thanks

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-06-18, 6:51pm

That's the one! But you need the whole system. I like the result, it's the price I'm not sure is feasible! I haven't tried using some components but not others. I doubt the polymer would adhere properly. Jeri

Old 2014-06-19, 7:54am

Thanks Jeri. Do you find the Renaissance wax prevents scratches? That system is interesting but like you said pricey. I spoke with a friend re the beeswax olive oil thing, she said her beads collected lint and smelled funny after a while.

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-19, 8:02am

Karen, I have no experience with that combo, but would worry that oil could become rancid. On the other hand, I also don't think any of this prevents scratching except maybe of the most superficial type. I apply the treatment to reduce the frosty surface left by the sandblasting and restore more of the true color. I vary what I use based on the glass, I just like one better than another on certain colors. What do you typically use? Jeri

Old 2014-06-19, 9:20am

Thanks for the info Jeri. Someone else mentioned the combo and you are correct, rancid smell. I have just started etching some beads so I am searching for a relatively protective coating and haven't used anything yet. it's amazing the differences different colours react to the etch. The scratches I would be trying to avoid would be like you say superficial and perhaps caused by metal chains ect.

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-19, 9:32am

Karen, definitely try the armor all, just wet the glass with it, wait a moment, then wipe it off. Don't let it dry or it gets sticky. I have been using it uneventfully for over ten years. It isn't waterproof, so if you dislike the result, scrub it with dish soap and it will reverse it. There are still some colors I don't like. Such as black and turquoise in the Effetre colors. I would love to see what you are working on. Jeri

Old 2014-06-19, 9:47am

Quote:
Karen, definitely try the armor all, just wet the glass with it, wait a moment, then wipe it off. Don't let it dry or it gets sticky. I have been using it uneventfully for over ten years. It isn't waterproof, so if you dislike the result, scrub it with dish soap and it will reverse it. There are still some colors I don't like. Such as black and turquoise in the Effetre colors. I would love to see what you are working on. Jeri
Jeri - which product from Armor All is it? They have such a large range of items. Thanks.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-06-19, 9:57am

I'm pretty sure it's original protectant. I'm not home, but I looked at Amazon and that looks right. Jeri

Old 2014-06-19, 10:12am

Cool about the armour al. I have some of that. Have you ever noticed whether it stains clothes or not?

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-19, 10:16am

In my experience, once it's dry it's completely inert. Jeri

Old 2014-06-19, 11:42am

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's original protectant. I'm not home, but I looked at Amazon and that looks right. Jeri
Thanks heaps!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-06-19, 1:06pm

Thanks again Jeri, i'm going to try it.

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
Old 2014-06-19, 2:57pm

I should have mentioned that you should buy a SMALL container, even if it is slightly more per ounce. It goes a really really long way. And now I have double checked, it is the "original protecterant". Keep me posted on what you think. Jeri

Old 2014-06-21, 2:26pm
Glass-aholic

I've used Burt's bee hand salve. Or the cuticle one.. I like the smell and it works ok. Not really sure how long term it is, but it's good for your skin, and wearing it I would think that the natural oils in your skin would replace it in time.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-21, 2:28pm

Quote:
I should have mentioned that you should buy a SMALL container, even if it is slightly more per ounce. It goes a really really long way. And now I have double checked, it is the "original protecterant". Keep me posted on what you think. Jeri

Thanks Jeri. Will definitely give it a try!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-06-21, 2:32pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanokaren View Post
Cool about the armour al. I have some of that. Have you ever noticed whether it stains clothes or not?

Karen Sagar Art Glass

ripzz
It's good for leather seats and steering wheels right? I would think it would be ok for clothing, but jay (my guy-works in auto body shop) says yes it will stain ur clothes...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: