Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Best cheap clear for bead guts?
Effetre 23 62.16%
Vetro 11 29.73%
CiM 1 2.70%
Other 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-11, 1:07pm
Fancy Mammal

Default Best *cheap* clear - to be encased?

I'm looking to get some cheap clear to be "bead guts" - and wanted to know if there were cracking issues with any of the current lots of "basic" clear glasses... I've seen comments about this, but I know things can vary from batch to batch. Thanks!
Old 2008-10-12, 6:00am
burnin' glass just becuz

i use white (moretti or vetro) for bead guts too as it's cheap, nice and soft, and doesn't react with very much...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-10-12, 8:23pm
Fancy Mammal

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 2008-10-12, 8:32pm

I use Moretti and Vetro and haven't had cracking issues, either...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-10-12, 8:41pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've been using Precision lately, but I have to say...I have some old, large Effetre rods (8-10 mm) and they're really pretty good, even for encasing. They don't quite have the same brightness as Precision, but they're not scummy or bubbly, either.

Old 2008-10-14, 6:26am
Mary Lockwood

I voted effetre, but I'll use any cheap soft glass color that I don't like and I use up my shorts this way too... I mean the really shorts, like less than an inch (usually the pieces that pop off a rod if I put them in the flame too fast). I just keep feeding them onto the base with tweezers til the base is as big as I want.

Old 2008-10-14, 8:53am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

One point - don't use the effetre or Vetro clear under any of the silver glasses - there are compatibility with those and the silver glasses. Use white or something like that instead .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-14, 12:52pm
Fancy Mammal

Thanks for the tips!
Old 2008-10-14, 1:25pm

I use Effetre for cheap stuff. (Altough right now I have a great deal on Precision Odd Shape clear that is very cheap too..)
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-10-14, 4:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
One point - don't use the effetre or Vetro clear under any of the silver glasses - there are compatibility with those and the silver glasses. Use white or something like that instead .
Well I've just been using my old scummy eff and vetrofond doing just this ... ack!

Old 2008-10-15, 4:51am

I actually use the transparent grey because it is stiffer than clear. Makes a great base if you are hiding it completely.

Sals
Old 2008-10-15, 5:44pm

I vote for butt ends too... anything that scums, as I don't want to be picking bits off. I think all the old inch-long clear butts on my bench are Moretti (yes, that old, lol) and Vetro... and the early TAG clears that had too much air in them.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-16, 8:56am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
Well I've just been using my old scummy eff and vetrofond doing just this ... ack!
I have always used cobalt or clear as a core under silver glass and never have compatibility issues, nor have I read about cracking with Effetre/Vetrofond clear. Did I miss something, Sigrid?

I don't like white because it's so soft . . . transparent glass makes for a better core for shaping large beads.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-16, 10:17am
Lampworkaholic!

Same here. I use 104 clear (Effetre or Vetro) under silver glass of all kinds and have had no compatibility issues, at least so far, knock wood.
Old 2008-10-16, 3:50pm
Fancy Mammal

I came across an old post or two that mentioned "using X clear underneath, maybe that's why it cracked", but couldn't find anything in further searches. Wondered if it was a batch or the phases of the moon, so I thought I'd bug everyone with *yet* *another* clear question

And the comments about the stiffness are helpful too