LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-01, 1:13pm

Question Transparents that react with metal?

I've been thinking of trying something, and in order to make it work, I need to figure out which transparent 104 glasses will react with specific metals. I'm not talking about yucky yellow reactions like Heffalump and silver (yes, I'm aware, Heffalump is not transparent), but something that creates a nice new contrasty colour, like hades and silver (turns it a bit blue). Also copper or palladium are metal options for me.

Does anyone have some special transparent glass-metal reactions they're willing to share?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-02, 11:25am
Artistically Absorbed

If you make a bead, and decorate with pale aqua dots or stinger...whatever, then roll in silver foil and burn off. The pale aqua will push the silver off and create windows into the bead.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-05-02, 11:30am

Not quite what I had in mind, but very interesting. Thanks!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-02, 11:37am
novembersfyre everywhere

Any of the gold based glasses like most rubinos and pinks will turn silver a lovely fiery orange color.

Old 2013-05-02, 5:39pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Any of the gold based glasses like most rubinos and pinks will turn silver a lovely fiery orange color.
Does this happen with EDP too?
Old 2013-05-07, 3:01pm
Missing presumed fed

Lisi, my experience with silver and EDP has been more of a caramel color. I wouldn't say I've gotten a fiery orange color with silver and any of the rubino clan.
Old 2013-05-07, 3:14pm
Senior Moment

What about the reactions Effetre Trans brown or Straw Yellow, or CIM Sepia have with the Iris glasses (Iris Gold, Iris Yellow for example)? Does anyone know how they react to pure silver?

Just a thought,
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-07, 5:12pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Rubino and silver:

Old 2013-05-07, 6:30pm
Missing presumed fed

Pretty!
Old 2013-05-07, 7:38pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Pretty!
Thanks!

Old 2013-05-07, 11:37pm
I like to melt things

If you go to my blog and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there is an index there called 'Index by Neat Effect'.

http://melanie-graham.blogspot.ca/

This was my initial stab at classifying things, and I am sure that I could go back through it again now and make some refinements, but I am happy to share it. The numbers in brackets below signify how many, out of the colours I've tested, that I've tagged with having that reaction.

I have studied more than 150 different colours, regarding how they interact with silver - reduced and unreduced, encased and unencased. These topics might be of interest to you:
Fumes brown w/silver (27)
Fumes dark w/silver (3)
Fumes yellow w/silver (15)
Turns reduced silver blue (36)
Turns reduced silver pink (4)
Turns reduced silver yellow (4)
Turns silver golden (10)
Turns unreduced silver blue (10)
Turns unreduced silver brown (3)
Turns unreduced silver pink (3)

-
-
Old 2013-05-08, 4:45am

Cool! Thanks for the link!

Facebook:

Old 2013-05-08, 7:00am
Slogan Challenged...

Melanie, I LOVE your blog. Thanks for the link.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-08, 11:01am

Mary Beth they are beautiful. Looks like fire burning. Love the look.
Old 2013-05-12, 6:34am

What an amazing blog, MelanieG. Going in here to look around but looks outstanding!! Thanks!
Old 2013-05-12, 1:16pm
I like to melt things

Thanks for the nice feedback on my blog... I hope it helps!

-
-
Old 2013-05-12, 1:54pm

Has anyone done any similar experiments with other metals?

Facebook:

Old 2013-05-23, 11:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
If you make a bead, and decorate with pale aqua dots or stinger...whatever, then roll in silver foil and burn off. The pale aqua will push the silver off and create windows into the bead.
I have a question - for this specific reaction - what are you using for the base bead color? I'd love to try it!
Old 2013-05-23, 1:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieG View Post
If you go to my blog and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there is an index there called 'Index by Neat Effect'.

http://melanie-graham.blogspot.ca/

This was my initial stab at classifying things, and I am sure that I could go back through it again now and make some refinements, but I am happy to share it. The numbers in brackets below signify how many, out of the colours I've tested, that I've tagged with having that reaction.

I have studied more than 150 different colours, regarding how they interact with silver - reduced and unreduced, encased and unencased. These topics might be of interest to you:
Fumes brown w/silver (27)
Fumes dark w/silver (3)
Fumes yellow w/silver (15)
Turns reduced silver blue (36)
Turns reduced silver pink (4)
Turns reduced silver yellow (4)
Turns silver golden (10)
Turns unreduced silver blue (10)
Turns unreduced silver brown (3)
Turns unreduced silver pink (3)
Wow Melanie, I just book marked your blog, what great info.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-24, 12:43am
Artistically Absorbed

WOW! That is awesome!!! Seriously awesome! I can't even remember to write down my combos for any bead! Truly amazing Melanie!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-05-24, 5:11am
ALWAYS SMILES

Just wanted to tell Melanie that--- SHE ROCKS !!! thanks

Tags
104, copper, metal, palladium, reaction, silver, transparent