No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-06, 9:08am
over the moon space cadet

Default Using 2 torches together?

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. Sorry, I don't have the time to thouroughly search, but I have not found anything yet.
Is it a possiblility to use two torches together to make one larger, hotter flame? It's just a thought, but I NEED more heat to work as big as I need. I have a Phirana and a Minor. Would two intersecting flames be a bad thing, or would it be a viable option until I can get a bigger torch?
Thanks SO much for any information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2012-05-06, 9:47am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. Sorry, I don't have the time to thouroughly search, but I have not found anything yet.
Is it a possiblility to use two torches together to make one larger, hotter flame? It's just a thought, but I NEED more heat to work as big as I need. I have a Phirana and a Minor. Would two intersecting flames be a bad thing, or would it be a viable option until I can get a bigger torch?
Thanks SO much for any information

Here is a pic of a multi flame torch for lathe work.

As long as neither flame is directly heating the other torch it is fine.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:09am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I don't have a link but there are several people who have posted YouTube vids where they use two torches directed together for one larger flame. Usually mounting a small torch above the larger torch. There are several commercial torches sold that way.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:54am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have seen 2 minor burners used together. It has some advantages. Let us know if you try it!
Old 2012-05-07, 7:57am
Just Me!

Smile

Scott Bouwens from www.Barefootart.com shows in a lot of his videos using two torches sometimes even three.
You could talk to him, he's a really nice guy and always willing to help.......Val
Old 2012-05-07, 8:28am
ManBearPig

Something like this?

Old 2012-05-07, 4:44pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean View Post
Scott Bouwens from www.Barefootart.com shows in a lot of his videos using two torches sometimes even three.
You could talk to him, he's a really nice guy and always willing to help.......Val
That URL is dead.

Might want to try this one:

www.bearfootart.com

Old 2012-05-08, 4:30am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have worked in a cross fire situation a LOT, folks have been doing it for ages. I do it mostly for large blown work, but would work for big sculpture too when you need to heat a big mass, might be harder for detail.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-05-11, 11:23am
over the moon space cadet

Default You all rock!

Haaahahaha.... you guys crack me up with your GIANT flame pictures I'm a busy mom and can't take too much time to search, so I thank you so much for these answers.
I am going to have fun with this! I am going to try this weekend and see if I can get it to work hot enough with my 2 wussy torches and make them into something that has a chance of melting a lot of boro at once

Thanks so much!!!

Yeah, I'm thinking detail in the flame would be a bit difficult, but I'll figure something out

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2012-05-11, 11:45am

I stacked my Cheetah on a nortel major and as you can see in the pic the flames cross so I can work with the heat from both torches I also built a foot pedal for the major so I can fire it off hands free when needed

#C-151
Old 2012-05-11, 1:12pm
Cave Dweller

A Piranha and a Minor will make plenty of heat used together.
Old 2012-05-12, 5:20am
Run Free Sweet Boy

when doing blown work I actually face the torches toward each other rather than stacked or side by side. slightly angle the flame up so you are not scorching the opposite torch and work where the two flames meet. is you need a bit less heat work slightly under the apex of the flame etc etc

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."