No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-01, 1:28am
Newb boro fanatic

Lightbulb HotHead powered garage thingy

So I was thinking about getting a portable hot plate for my "studio" (garage), but after looking into them a bit, and seeing gas powered ones, I had an idea... Why not make some kinda baby glory-hole/garage thing, and use my Hot Head to power it!

So I have some ideas about construction, and thought I'd ask for input/ideas. I'm thinking of getting 2 big steel pots, one bigger than the other, and the bigger of the two with a steel lid. I would then cut out the middle of the big pot's lid, and weld the smaller pot's rim to the rim of the hole in the lid. I'd then pack the big pot with vermiculite or even fiber blanket, and then attach the small pot with attached lid to the big pot, so I'd end up with a small pot inside, with insulation on all sides except the top, which would be the front actually, with the whole thing being in it's side. Then I'd put a kiln shelf inside, with a gap between the back of the pot (or the bottom if it was "right side up"), and aim the HH under the kiln shelf so the heat would hopefully warm the shelf, and also circulate behind and up and over the shelf too. Then I guess a steel plate door that just slides up and down on the front... (any other ideas for a better slightly insulated door that isn't too hard to make?) I can get a high temp thermometer for it, and just turn the HH on or off to regulate heat a bit.

This way I don't need to run more stuff off the garage power circuit. Mind you though, a hot plate would be quieter... But not as fun to get going ether! lol

Anyone else ever tried something like this before? Would a HH even generate enough heat to keep it warm??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rodger; 2010-06-01 at 7:10am.
Old 2010-06-01, 6:00am
Glass-aholic

fiber blanket would be better than vermiculite i think. It wold hold the heat better. I dont know how you are going to gauge the temp on a consistent basis... it seems like it would be a PITA to regulate. I know there is a tutorial in here somewhere on how to make a kiln using a gas burner, and some materials similat to what you have stated. I have also sen a mailbox glory hole here somewhere. You may want to look into these before you begin your project.
show us pic's as you go!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-01, 6:12am
Newb boro fanatic

Well I doubt it would get hot enough to really matter too much about regulating it (ie around the strain point). Tho in saying that, does preheating rods and keeping stuff you're currently working on even at a couple hundred °C help prevent thermal shock at all, if it doesn't actually keep the glass in the annealing range?? Ie; is there a difference in 'shockyness' between a room temp object and a kinda hot object?

I will have a look for those tutorials tho, thanks for the tip! I do have Glass Notes too, and the steel glory hole in it does use fiber blanket for insulation... So that is probably a good idea, instead of just the vermiculite.

Old 2010-06-01, 6:28am
Glass-aholic

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=kiln

here is a link to a thread with more useful links too!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-01, 6:30am
Glass-aholic

oh it will get hot... really

Old 2010-06-01, 7:04am
Newb boro fanatic

Hmm I couldn't find that gas burner kiln... But I did have an idea about regulating the heat a bit - just moving the HH further in or out of the pot? I can set up a pyrometer for it easily enough at least

Old 2010-06-01, 7:31am
Glass-aholic

oh i said gas burner... i meant electrical burner... sorry!!! i said it in my head like 5 times and still typed it wrong!! LOL its a stove element.... i can not remember if it was Dale or Frysmith or someone else who did it, but it was super simple!!

Old 2010-06-01, 8:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

I have to wonder about all the effort to build something that is crude at best when better things are available and cheaper, and adding another device spewing combustion by products about will add to ventilation needs and there is the noise....

I suggest you look at the "stove pipe annealer" as it is built from electric hot plate element or you could use a more conventional gas burner....

I personally do not want another gas operated device merrily burning away while I am focused on the glass/work in torch flame....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-01, 8:25am
Glass-aholic

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking of Dale!! The stovepipe annealer!!!

Old 2010-06-01, 9:26am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

There is a difference in shockyness with kinda hot vs annealing temp. I use a hot plate, and don't know how hot my glass is getting, but I have found that I have far less shocking if my glass is preheated to a temperature where it burns the crap out of me if I pick it up wrong.

My concern about you project would be making sure you place the contraption in a way that the fumes would be drawn out your ventilation without going past you first, know what I mean?

Old 2010-06-01, 8:17pm
Newb boro fanatic

The main reason I'm thinking about a gas powered 'garage' kiln is the power supply in my garage... However my current main kiln is only 7.5 amps, so even with ventilation and stereo I may be able to run something like the stovepipe annealer... Electric would certainly make it much easier to control, and just safer in general.

Maybe I'll just get an electrician to wire another outlet into the garage (even though we rent lol)