Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-22, 6:21am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Chris,

I had a bad accident right after a back surgery that ripped it out, and then some.That was about 14 years ago. Its been one surgery after another to either try and stabilize my back and neck, or control pain. We have known for about 3 years that the level above the fusion in my low back was starting to herniate, an looks like maybe its now at the stage that its causing me problems. You are right, once there is a fusion especially in the lower spine, it puts more pressure on the ones above and below it, because it can no longer flex at the fused site.

I started on a 2 week round of steroids to get inflamation down last night, so should start feeling a bit better soon. Hopefully today or tomorrow I can put the laptop on my knees and work on the tutorial propped up in my foam wedges so my back is in neutral.

At this point my reflexes are still good in my right leg and I am not loosing strength. Thats GOOD news since I do have nerve damage in my left leg and its weak. At this point I use a cane for around the house and short distances, and a power chair for long distances and bad days. Hopefully this will pass, and I wont need surgery again, and that right leg will stay strong. but what ever life brings, I can handle, and be happy. I have my hands and eyes, and the shop is ramped already. I am good to go.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-22, 9:26am
Chrissy

Oh Candice you are in my prayers!!!!! Your a trouper!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-23, 6:28pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

woo hoo, steroids are kicking in and I am feelin a bit better. started working on the tutorial again today, got the section on pulling points finsihed up and corrections to the first draft of the other sections done. making progress again.

Candice

Old 2008-10-23, 7:31pm

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

Take care of yourself.

Old 2008-10-25, 5:12am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI Folks,

I am making good progress again on the tutorial. A fellow and local LE pal stopped by yesterday for a couple of hours and we played with making ornaments in the shop. I needed some good laughs. I got to try out a few reichenback frits I had not used before and in love with the purple. Well, anything purple, but its yummy. I must admit I do like the fiurance glass frits better than the bullseye ones. The color is much more dense. I just had not used them in so many years I had forgotten how yummy they are.

Candice

Old 2008-10-25, 5:33am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Yay Candice! I'll be ordering some tubing on Monday!

Old 2008-10-26, 2:20pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I finished up the last of the text last night. I am setting up a mini photo studio tonight and will take the pics of the finished pieces tomorrow and get them sent to the graphics gal. Hope to have this ready to roll out shortly.

Whew.. I am expecting it to be over 60 pages with over 100 pictures. The file is already over 11 megs and still growing. There are 9 chapters.

Candice

Old 2008-10-26, 5:50pm

Candice ... you are just awesome! I can't imagine getting a tut out with what you are going through, but you have such a great attitude about it all!

I can't wait for the tutorial - this was the task I set myself this holiday season so your tut is very timely.

I'm going to get myself kitted up and ready to go!

Sadie

Old 2008-10-27, 3:16pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

argh,, I am going berserk trying to take the last pics.... set up a mini photo studio today and just not egtting what I want..... maybe tonoght or tomorrow... but I am SO close now..... Just goptta play with the lighting I think. Tyring to get nice depth of field in the final shots of finished items. gotta get that back lighting dialed in.

Candice

Old 2008-10-28, 10:05am
The Torch Be With You

Candice, You're amazing! I'm sure many, many others, like myself are anxiously awaiting your tutorial!

I've ordered all my tubing through a sign shop. I must admit it was much easier than I had anticipated. They knew exactly what I wanted, which is good because I had no idea!

Glad you're feeling better!
Old 2008-10-28, 10:33am
MacGalver

Candice~ Looking forward to the tutorial, sounds like it will be really amazing! I'm pretty cautious about what I will buy, but this one sounds like a must-have! Please remember to take your time, pace yourself, we'll all still be here when you finish.

Jo

Old 2008-10-28, 2:28pm
Butterfly Rancher

I ordered tubing from Acmegirl and it arrived today! She put together a great assortment at a great price, so I'll be able to try and make a few different sizes of ornaments. If you're looking to get some tubing she posted on page 4 with some pricing information.

And I'm definitely looking forward to trying Candice's tutorial!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-10-28, 4:05pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

thanks for the encouragement folks, I have been shooting pics the last few days that are the "sexy" shots of finished items,,, but I am not happy with the results so far... but my pal can do wonders with a photo editing program... so here is hoping.....

I am learning so much from doing this project. I am alrready plotting how to make the next one better. I am thinking vases and perfumes for the next go round.

what do you want to learn in soft glass?

Candice

Old 2008-10-29, 4:37am

I would love a tut on perfume bottles.

Old 2008-10-29, 8:32am
The Torch Be With You

Vases and perfume bottles would be excellent!
Old 2008-10-29, 11:23am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I love perfume bottles too!

Jenny

Old 2008-10-29, 5:44pm
Senior Moment

Candice, I am really looking forward to this tut. And the next, and the next and the.......

Old 2008-10-29, 6:12pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Perfumes and vases! I loved doing perfume bottles when I was doing hot glass and budvases w/funny handles. I'd love to be able to figure it out on a torch!

Old 2008-10-29, 6:30pm

definitely perfume bottles for me. I've wanted to do them for some time - love Sue Ellen Fowlers but of course she works in boro.

Old 2008-10-29, 10:04pm
giggety-giggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
I ordered tubing from Acmegirl and it arrived today! She put together a great assortment at a great price, so I'll be able to try and make a few different sizes of ornaments. If you're looking to get some tubing she posted on page 4 with some pricing information.

And I'm definitely looking forward to trying Candice's tutorial!
Thanks Rebecca! If the tubing works for people who can't find it locally-I'll try to offer it on my website and make it easier to order. It's turning out that shipping (based on approx. 6 lbs or less) is running 9 to 12. depending on where it's going. I wish I could just use a flat rate box but the box is too small length wise. Anyone interested just send me a pm (with your complete address if you'd like a shipping quote).
beth

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-30, 5:22am

I just placed an order for tubing with Beth (Acmegirl) and she really worked hard to find me the best shipping. I live in Tn.and she wanted to be sure she got the best shipping possible for me. She kept me posted on what she was doing so that I would not think that my order had been forgotten about. I really appreciated the time and effort that she put into this and I know that when candice is finished with the tutorial she will be busier than ever. I know I will order from her again. Glenda
Old 2008-10-30, 5:58am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok folks..... I have one more picture to take today. Hopefully its the cover shot of a bowl full of ornaments and I am DONE with the tut itself. My computer savior sent me an email this morning saying she expects to finish her part up over the weekend.

I am going to try and get the website finsihed up this weekend so you have a place to download it from where I can change the password daily, and it will be ready to roll out.

I am getting a new myelogram on the 7th, thats a week from friday. I will have to lay flat for a full day after that. So on that day, I wont be sending paswords etc to folks for the tut, but that should be the only day I would be slowed down. My plan is to give folks a 24 hour window to download thier tutorial once I send them the email with the pass to the site.

as for perfumes etc.... you can do them in any glass, the techniques are the same for shape and adding most of the color etc, like the stripes for ornaments etc. But with boro you can actually make scenes etc like on beads. Havent tried t in soft, but think it would be a serious challenge of those materials to do pictorial work. I may decide to break ythe next tutorial up a bit and do one as vases and one as perfumes... but lets get this one on the road first.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-30, 6:04am
Does it come in Purple???

This is so awesome. I have been reading the progress on your tut and can't wait.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-10-30, 7:19am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI Folks,

I am geting a few PMs about materials. So, thought I would share with the list as a whole.

If you are brand new to hollow work and soft glas, I strongly suggest you start out with frits and powders as you master the actual blown work. I think you will have more success and not get discouraged. But by all means, play with the rod if the spirit moves you.

I absolutely love the kugler and reichenback frits and powders because the color is very dense. I am finding a lot of the bullseye colors are "weak" and the transparents red I have tried livers out i the frit dept. The white burns. I originally learned the ornaments using thompson enamels( back when they still had lead in them over 30 years ago" and they work well too.

A local pal brought me some of the reichenback gold iris last night, and I tried it, I think its the kugler gold reduction powdered glass that I loved so well. I did not get the results I wanted with the gold iris.

I hope this helps with the what do I purchase questions.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-30, 8:55am
Butterfly Rancher

I got neon tubing from Acmegirl which I think is COE 90. I have lots of frit from Glass Diversions which I think is COE 96. Do you think this combination will work or should I get Bullseye frit?

Old 2008-10-30, 9:44am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hmmmm, I have not personally tried the glass you mention....unless it is reichenback and kugler. Normally I dont like more than a 5 point spred in the coe because you risk cracking. This holds more true for rods than with frits and powders. For some reason with the frit and powder you can sort of cheat more.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer on your 96, but all I can say is try it, and see if they crack. some may some may not... it will depend on the color, and you need to keep careful notes.

If it were me, I would purchase the thompson enamels before the bullseye frits etc.. But the reichenback and kugler are still my favs.

glass is really wierd stuff, sometimes even if all the coe's match exactly they may not work together. they may work by themselves, but not along side another color. You really do need to keep a notebook.

Candice

Old 2008-10-30, 12:53pm

Candice, to get the iris gold to have a boro effect, you need some light amber there with it.

I got my tubing last night (thank-you Beth !!!!!), and watched some you tube videos on how to pull points today. I'll be practicing that this weekend. (thank-you Beth !!!!!)
Here are the youtube videos that I watched. makes me want a bigger torch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLsLlljE_Q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLdVQKAU4hI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrjefSSkwCQ
Old 2008-10-30, 1:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
I got neon tubing from Acmegirl which I think is COE 90. I have lots of frit from Glass Diversions which I think is COE 96. Do you think this combination will work or should I get Bullseye frit?
Check this thread. Many of the references that I have seen for Reichenbach/Kugler list them as 91-93 coe, not 96.
Old 2008-10-30, 1:03pm
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Check this thread. Many of the references that I have seen for Reichenbach/Kugler list them as 91-93 coe, not 96.
Thanks!

Old 2008-10-30, 4:24pm
giggety-giggety

Thanks Glenda and Lynda! Glad to hear it arrived safely.

My etsy: