Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-21, 6:41am
Hot Glass Neophyte

* Hug you for me *
Old 2011-04-21, 7:57am
Danan Beads and Jewelry

My glass is here !!! My glass is here !!! The only thing saving me from bagging work and torching is the fact that I am out of oxygen and the tank is in my husband's truck. Otherwise, suddenly, I'd be feeling wayyyy to sick to work.....
Old 2011-04-21, 6:51pm

lol Nanners! Mine is here too. Came home from work to find it in the mail. I have half of it inventoried, labeled and put away. The sop honey dew green looks interesting. And i love the trans denim blue, I had that one before. And the light marine green looks yummy.
I haven't even opened the second box yet lol, I will feel the need to finish it then and I am too tired to do this for another two hours. Will work on it some more tomorrow and hopefully have time to play with it some time this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-21, 6:53pm

And I love the fish Kristina so cute! Hmmm maybe I should have run my glass through the dishwasher first. Too late now, it will ruin the labels and I am NOT doing that again lol. I will put the second batch through the dishwasher and see what happens.

Old 2011-04-22, 12:05am

Default omg 25lbs....

just ordered 25 lbs of devardi glass...

I CANT WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE!!!!!!!
Old 2011-04-22, 5:19am

Okay I opened the second box lol. The blood red looks awesome! Can't wait to try that one. Bluemantid That's going to be a really nice package lol!

Old 2011-04-22, 5:28am
Danan Beads and Jewelry

I absolutely LOVE that blood red. What a GREAT color! I also love the transparent blue ocean and Ice blue. Bluemantid, that's gonna be some awesome order !!! You go, girl !!!
Old 2011-04-22, 5:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
And I love the fish Kristina so cute! Hmmm maybe I should have run my glass through the dishwasher first. Too late now, it will ruin the labels and I am NOT doing that again lol. I will put the second batch through the dishwasher and see what happens.
Oh thank you Sonja, and what a great idea running rods through the dishwasher. Our local tap water will take the stainless steel finish off our flatware, so it sure should clean the glass!

I'm going to experiment more and see what other colors and combos I can make these fishies out of. Can't wait to see more of your work!
Old 2011-04-22, 2:37pm

If I ever get the chance to take the pictures you will lol. I think I have 30+ beads/sets I need to photograph and list. But I am working a lot and am trying to clean out and organize my house, I can't stand it anymore! Plus, I started going to the gym 6 days a week so I have less time. But I won't give up my time at the torch lol it keeps me sane. I am hoping to have a totally free day soon.

Old 2011-04-25, 11:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I worked this Koi up over the weekend using SOP White. It held up in my low Hothead flame for almost 2 hours and turned a nice solid opaque white. I have to say the SOP White is my favorite of the Devardi Whites.
Old 2011-04-25, 11:18am
StudioMarcy

gorgeous Kristina. you are rocking the koi!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-25, 11:36am
Oinky Oink!

What would be the best HOT pink that I could get from Devardi?
Never used this glass before.. wanna try...
I am on HH.. would this be an issue with Devardi pinks?

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-25, 12:39pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Marcy!

Miss Piggy, I am on a Hothead too, and I would say the D129-Semi-Opaque Lt. Pink Plum (which they have as stringers but appear to be out of in rods), or the Lipstick. I like it best by stringer anyway. You must work them cool on your torch. Have it set as low as it can be without going out, and hold your mandrel about 4" or more away from the torch head. Both are nice to work with.
Old 2011-04-25, 6:46pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I have a really pretty medium, piggy pink...but....I HATE it. It is stiff and if I put it into the flame it burns too easily. It turns white with too much work, and I like to decorate my beads. I can't imagine working 4" away from a flame that is already "almost out"...HOW does it melt?!

However, I also have some beautiful cranberry transparent pink with and without goldstone, and I LOVE it.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-25, 6:49pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

I liked the sop white too. There's nothing semi opaque about it once it is melted, which is exactly what I want anyway. I almost like it better than moretti, and NO shocking problems whatsoever. Beautiful koi. I also liked your gold fish. I think these two are better than anything you've done!

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-25, 7:12pm
Semi Retired

That Koi is so life like. I will have to order the sop white next time. Thanks for the input.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-04-26, 4:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pink Bead Samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
I liked the sop white too. There's nothing semi opaque about it once it is melted, which is exactly what I want anyway. I almost like it better than moretti, and NO shocking problems whatsoever. Beautiful koi. I also liked your gold fish. I think these two are better than anything you've done!
Thank you so much on the Koi and fish you all! It's so encouraging.

The SOP White I used on the Koi held up great in the flame, better than effetre Anice White. That went matt in places on me in far less time than I worked the Koi.

On the pinks, for the Dk. Transparent Rose and the SOP or Opaque Pinks (which are shown on the left and right ends of the picture), I try to work them as cool as possible to avoid bubbles, so I use tools to help round the glass as it softens to shorten the time to round or to get whatever shape. I don't get them dripping hot like clear. The SOP Lt. Plum Pink can be treated like any other color on this Hothead, and heat isn't the same issue.

Here are some Devardi pink beads I just scraped together for comparison - from left to right, a clear encased SOP Pink, Opaque Pink, then Lt. Plum Pink with the Goldstone and leaves, and finally Dk. Transparent Rose encasing SOP White. The Lt. Plum Pink is a dull pink color after annealing, not a bright pink. This image has it a little lighter and brighter pink than it comes out on my Hothead.

Fighting the bubbles is a struggle for me. I would appreciate any tips you all have. I usually stringer-wrap encase.

Old 2011-04-26, 4:58am
StudioMarcy

these are lovely, Kristina!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-26, 5:10am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you. I bet when I get the Cricket going I will have some different color and working results, based on what Sonja and others have said.
Old 2011-04-26, 5:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
What would be the best HOT pink that I could get from Devardi?
Never used this glass before.. wanna try...
I am on HH.. would this be an issue with Devardi pinks?
I just realized you asked about HOT pink... you will probably have to encase or mix to get a hot pink... has anyone done any mixing?

Encasing SOP Orange with Dk. Transparent Rose for example, maybe I can try that next torch time...
Old 2011-04-26, 3:28pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Hot pink is difficult to get in any manufactured glass. I would say rubino is comparable to the davardi cranberry. Bullseye has a pretty hot pink, but a different COE. I've seen satake in a bright pink. The hottest pink I've seen is enamel. Color mixing is a good idea, especially with purples, but orange and cranberry are both reactive. Orange as an opaque, but not sure about as a transparent. I'm guessing you will end up with a brownish color.

regarding bubbles: on the first pink bead encased in clear I see "lines" of bubbles, so encasing seems to be where the bubbles are coming from. Are you making your own stringers to encase? Davardi glass has bubbles in it, which I'm guessing has a result of shockiness, and when they don't exist they are easy to create with just a touch too much heat. Try a different encasing method and don't pull stringers; it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

color mixing: candice seeber uses pinks and oranges and has a color mixing/combining guide on her website. There is also a great bead artist on LE; she does CIM color testing and discusses color mixing, as does Corina in passing the flame. I hope I remembering all that right. Another pink expert is Sarah Hornik. Sara's opened her blog today to ask her "any" question...so go ask about color mixing and pinks because she does a lot of both

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-26, 3:35pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Hot pink is difficult to get in any manufactured glass. I would say rubino is comparable to the davardi cranberry. Bullseye has a pretty hot pink, but a different COE. I've seen satake in a bright pink. The hottest pink I've seen is enamel. Color mixing is a good idea, especially with purples, but orange and cranberry are both reactive. Orange as an opaque, but not sure about as a transparent. I'm guessing you will end up with a brownish color.

regarding bubbles: on the first pink bead encased in clear I see "lines" of bubbles, so encasing seems to be where the bubbles are coming from. Are you making your own stringers to encase? Davardi glass has bubbles in it, which I'm guessing has a result of shockiness, and when they don't exist they are easy to create with just a touch too much heat. Try a different encasing method and don't pull stringers; it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

color mixing: candice seeber uses pinks and oranges and has a color mixing/combining guide on her website. There is also a great bead artist on LE; she does CIM color testing and discusses color mixing, as does Corina in passing the flame. I hope I remembering all that right. Another pink expert is Sarah Hornik. Sara's opened her blog today to ask her "any" question...so go ask about color mixing and pinks because she does a lot of both

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-26, 5:18pm

I've never been able to encase the dk transparent rose in anything or encase anything else with it. Not once and believe me I have tried lol. I am interested in seeing if the orange over the pink works.

The blood red is stunning in beads by the way, a lovely, deep, rich, red. I was disappointed in the honey dew melon, it seems to have the same problems that the butterscotch does, it devitrifies at the drop of a hat. But its a pretty color if you can work it cool enough. I had my flame turned down pretty far though and I am not sure I can turn it down any further without it going out.

Can't really help with the bubbles, If they are in the rod, they are going to be in the bead. I use the glop and roll method to encase lol Get your clear very, very hot and runny, smoosh it on the bead and roll. You need to have a good inch at least that is molten so it goes all the way around the bead. I then gently heat and press it around the bead, add a bit to the edges if needed, then pull the rest toward the bead holes til its almost touching. Then melt to round. I don't get as many bubbles doing it this way as I do when I wrap in a spiral around the bead.

Old 2011-04-26, 8:14pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Monarae, thank you for all that great info and the encouragement. It means a lot. It's so neat to read all the names and references you list. Corina Tettinger is my unofficial mentor through her Passing The Flame book. It's just so good as an all around how-to manual for lampworkers. She makes hot pink by encasing white with Rubino Oro, which is darker than Devardi's Dk Transparent Rose, but it is similar to Rubino Oro. I did some encasing with it tonight trying for different pinks, so we'll see how it did in the morning.

And thank you Sonja - I need to do the "drippy hot on a cool bead, and spread to the mandrels" technique more. I don't know why I like the tight stringer wrap to encase. I always trap bubbles! I guess I like the thinner evenness of the encased layer that way.

Sonja, I also don't know why your encasing with the Dk. Transparent Rose isn't working... that large bead on the right in post 2537 is SOP White encased in it, and it's not a new bead. I did some tests tonight encasing pinks and orange and SOP White. SO we will see how they do in the morning light when the kiln is cool! I'll post when they are cleaned and shot.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-04-26 at 8:21pm.
Old 2011-04-27, 5:29am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Some Devardi Encased Pink Tests

Hi Everyone,

Well, here are my results from making each bead combo last night. I only made the one shown, not sets. Realize computer moniters and their color range are each different. The Hot Pink one (3rd from the left) is much prettier in daylight. It looks a little on the orange side and dull here. I will give my color impressions across from the beads with Notes at the bottom.

Everyone works glass differently, so results will vary, but this is what I worked up on a Hothead Torch with bulk Propane working the glass cool then and garaging the hot bead in an annealing kiln, and annealing when the torch session was done.

From left to right:

D92- Semi-Opaque Pink (not encased - here for a color check)

Lipstick encased with D7-Transparent Dark Rose (not a happy combo - cracks)

SOP White encased with D11-Transparent Cranberry (closest to Hot Pink)

D129-Semi-Opaque Lt. Pink Plum encased with D11-Transparent Cranberry (color like a Cinnamon Red Hot Pink)

Lipstick encased with D11-Transparent Cranberry (color like dark Cherry Red)

D97-Semi-Opaque Lt. Orange encased with D11-Transparent Cranberry (not very distinct in either direction)

NOTES:

1. I would encourage people to try SOP White if you want to encase a White with D7-Transparent Dark Rose or D11-Transparent Cranberry.

2. D11-Transparent Cranberry appears to be a nice glass to use to encase with. No problems with cracking on these colors or other times I have used it.

3. Lipstick appears to like being encased with D11-Transparent Cranberry, but not with D7-Transparent Dark Rose, though we can and should repeat tests on different torch set-ups and with different experience levels. D7-Transparent Dark Rose does encase consistently and nicely over SOP White or Moonstone for me.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-04-27 at 6:33am.
Old 2011-04-27, 6:29am

Excellent experiment! Thank you!
Old 2011-04-27, 8:19am

Talking Got my glass!!!

Sitting here watching the tornados and bad weather on the news... I hear this HUGE bang crash sound from outside.... - off i go to the front porch and low and behold mail lady has litterly tossed 2 boxes of glass on my porch!! Lovely.... she threw it up there... anyway

I GOT MY GLASS!!!! 25lbs im sooo excited! I am not going to unpack it yet. I am closing on my house in less than 2 weeks and need to be packing things up!

My studio space will be on of the first areas to be put together soooo... i am going to restrain myself and wait. really.. gonna wait... seriously.... *giggle* yeah .. right... hahhahhahaha

Ill post pics asap. Grabbed a bunch of blue and purple this time. Next buy from somewhere will have to be some clear. Any suggestions?
Old 2011-04-27, 8:38am
StudioMarcy

25#s! wow that sounds great, but not the mail person's delivery style. Yikes! Are the boxes open yet??? I know I wouldn't be able to wait. Looking forward to the photos!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-27, 8:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Check for breakage with a toss like that! Sure wish we were neighbors!
Old 2011-04-27, 8:55am

Kristina, I think my problem may be that I simply work too hot, I almost never shape the glass with tools, its all done by gravity. My understanding is that my method of encasing may not be the best for this particular glass. Although I guess I don't understand why it would crack when its heated to molten, since it has to be molten in order to pull it into rods. I don't know.

Can't wait to see pics of all the glassy goodies.

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi