Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-29, 11:51am

Default Teapot Bead Help

Has anyone attempted making a bead that looks like a teapot using all glass? I have seen really nice teapot beads and charms using round beads and teapot findings. But wondered if anyone had any ideas along with pictures of how to make one from scratch.

Thanks,

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 11:55am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by beybey View Post
Has anyone attempted making a bead that looks like a teapot using all glass? I have seen really nice teapot beads and charms using round beads and teapot findings. But wondered if anyone had any ideas along with pictures of how to make one from scratch.

Thanks,

Did you already search on "teapot"? I remember seeing some, but it might have been on Etsy.
Old 2008-10-29, 12:30pm
Pyromaniac

Seems like what you would do is make a round bead. Add a loop for the handle on one side and attach a spout using a stringer on the opposite side. Poke the tip of the spout with a pick and shape to look like a spout. You could also add a wrap or two of color on the top of your teapot for a lid or add a crystal or smaller bead when you string your bead for the lid.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-29, 1:10pm

Thanks, I'll check again on Etsy. The ones that I saw had the teapot findings. But I will definitely give it another look.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 1:12pm

Hi Lana,

I'm fairly new to glass beading. 2 months to be exact. You described exactly the way that I thought it should be done, except I didn't think to poke a hole in the spout. Thanks for confirmation.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 1:12pm

If anyone out there has pictures of teapot beads that they have made, I would love to see them.

Have a good one.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 2:03pm
Pyromaniac

if you google teapot glass bead, you will see some pics. Good Luck and show us what you come up with!

Old 2008-10-29, 2:16pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Here is a tea-pot-bellied pig that I made long ago... http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=15

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-10-29, 2:34pm

Thanks for sharing, Gelly.

Your tea-pot-bellied pig is adorable.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 2:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
if you google teapot glass bead, you will see some pics. Good Luck and show us what you come up with!
I searched through google after searching through LE. 9 times out of 10 what I found were folks using the teapot findings with round beads.

Thanks,

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 3:07pm
Pyromaniac

Yeah, I saw those too. If it seems like people are hesitant to post pictures, it's not you, it's because some people don't like seeing photos of their work pop up here and are sensitive to copyright issues. Before someone comments on this, I am not making a judgement, I am just trying to explain to the OP why her question is being answered in a round about way by me. If I had some that I had made I would be glad to show you pics -- but I've never made any.

There are some at Oriental Trading Company which give the general shape you are looking for, but Gelly's are gorgeous!

Oriental Trading Co Teapot beads

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2008-10-29 at 3:20pm.
Old 2008-10-29, 3:25pm
Hole Challenged

Jim Kervin did a book on Heather Trimlett that showed her teapot beads, really nice. My favorites, by far, are the sets that Lezlie Belanger used to make. She created teapots as well as the teacups. I have seen a few others over the years but don't recall who they were.

Old 2008-10-29, 3:29pm

kim miles has one on her home page . it's pretty cute.
Old 2008-10-29, 3:33pm
Still makin' flowers...

Pamela Wolfersberger has some on her site:

http://www.pamelakaydesigns.com.

Check out the gallery page, about halfway down, on the right.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2008-10-29, 3:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodie View Post
Jim Kervin did a book on Heather Trimlett that showed her teapot beads, really nice. My favorites, by far, are the sets that Lezlie Belanger used to make. She created teapots as well as the teacups. I have seen a few others over the years but don't recall who they were.
Thank you, Melodie. I will look this book and the artists up. This has been a great help.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 3:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
kim miles has one on her home page . it's pretty cute.
Thanks, I will search out Kim Miles as well.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 3:37pm

Hey Hannah,

Wow! Thank you very much. Thanks for the info.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 4:12pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Sorry I had to post and run earlier!

Thanks for the kudos, lol! I almost didn't post that link, that bead is so old. I know I have done more than one, but I can't find any other pics... and I can't remember for sure if I have ever put a lid on one.

I just add a spout and handle with stringers to a regular bead... I love the idea of poking the spout to make it actually look like a spout! You can also add feet/legs to the bottom if you are going for the fancy type teapots. Be sure to post pics when you give it a try, I'd love to see what you come up with.

WOWIE Pamela Kay's teapots are FABULOUS!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-10-29, 6:02pm

Hi Gelly,

I sure will post what I come up with (as long as it's not scary) . I hope to get back into the studio by the weekend to give it a try.

Minor
Old 2008-10-29, 7:00pm
Senior Moment

Pam Wolfersberger makes the most beautiful ones I've ever seen www.pamelakaydesigns.com

Old 2008-10-29, 7:04pm
Pyromaniac

Speaking of beautiful teapots -- these are outstanding!

Kristina logan's Teapots

Old 2008-10-29, 7:09pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Kristina's pots are so beautiful.

Old 2008-10-29, 7:24pm
Hole Challenged

ANYTHING by Kristina Logan is outstanding. I just love her work, it's simply stunning.

Old 2008-10-29, 9:51pm
Glass-aholic

like this?

I make a round bead, than flatten one side, then take a razor and cut into the top for the lid. (sometimes I razor before flattening, or adjust after if necessary)
Design body if desired. (it can be done afterwards BUT you have to keep the handles warm)
Add a spout by acting like you are going to add a dot, but letting it get too cold, almost like pulling stringer.
Flame cut and marver to desired position. (i try to do most of the positioning before I flame cut it.) You can line it up if need be, then add the handle in the same fashion, but connect it to the base bead.

For a full round pot, (sorry no picz yet, I just starting making them round, with tea cups too!) make a bead, any way you want, encased florals and beads that are encased at all look uber cool.
wrap the top of the bead in the color you wish to use for the pot. A contrasting pastel works well.
Make a small round bead SMALL above that for the pot lid handle.
make a disk at the bottom of the pot for the base, marver flat.
add handle and spout as above.
ta-da!

for the tea cups make the same base bead but much smaller, then marver into a wide cone shape (keep the ends flat.
Add a small disc bead to the smaller end of the cone in the same color you used for the teapot parts above. outline the top (wider end of the cup) with a stringer of color. add a handle. Marver so ends are flat.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-10-30, 4:31am
More glass...more glass..

Here's a pic of an old vessel teapot that I made....

edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2008-10-30, 8:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
like this?

I make a round bead, than flatten one side, then take a razor and cut into the top for the lid. (sometimes I razor before flattening, or adjust after if necessary)
Design body if desired. (it can be done afterwards BUT you have to keep the handles warm)
Add a spout by acting like you are going to add a dot, but letting it get too cold, almost like pulling stringer.
Flame cut and marver to desired position. (i try to do most of the positioning before I flame cut it.) You can line it up if need be, then add the handle in the same fashion, but connect it to the base bead.

For a full round pot, (sorry no picz yet, I just starting making them round, with tea cups too!) make a bead, any way you want, encased florals and beads that are encased at all look uber cool.
wrap the top of the bead in the color you wish to use for the pot. A contrasting pastel works well.
Make a small round bead SMALL above that for the pot lid handle.
make a disk at the bottom of the pot for the base, marver flat.
add handle and spout as above.
ta-da!

for the tea cups make the same base bead but much smaller, then marver into a wide cone shape (keep the ends flat.
Add a small disc bead to the smaller end of the cone in the same color you used for the teapot parts above. outline the top (wider end of the cup) with a stringer of color. add a handle. Marver so ends are flat.
Thank you, Jaci. Thank you for sharing. I am so excited. I can't wait to try out your technique.

Thanks again.

Minor
Old 2008-10-30, 8:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2remember View Post
Here's a pic of an old vessel teapot that I made....

edz
Very unique. I like.

Thanks for sharing.

Minor